Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 6 Series F13 Audio Upgrade Problem

• 07-03-2023 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭

Hi, exploring options on a relatively budget audio upgrade for a BMW 6 series F13. Found this set (MTX TX6 BMW) for around €450 which is plug and play. Given that the current system is the base model should offer some improvement. Looks like an amp is recommended to make the most of them but I wonder how DIY possible it is with zero sound install experience or if there would be any shops within Leinster to get this or any alternatives done.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in this!

MTX TXBMW product page (mtxaudio.eu)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If the amplifier in the current radio in the car is weak (as base models can often be) changing the speakers might not solve your problem. If the MTX component speaker set you linked above say an amplifier is recommended then your OEM radio might not be powerful enough to drive them.

It’d be worth getting a professional opinion. In Dublin I’d recommend I.C.E. on the Sandford Road in Ranelagh, they’ve been going now over 40 years & know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Those were my initial thoughts about amp being recommended too. I was just thinking to try speaker replacement first and then amp after if required.

Thanks for the recommendation will get in touch with them. Is baffling the standard of audio put in a 100k car when new.

They might be ok, those OEM radio units are often very underpowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Thinking about maybe just putting in the amp from the start myself. Looking online it ranges from fairly easy to do to others saying it's quite tough with wiring needed being done throughout car. Would you have any experience with putting one in?

Yeah, I used to do this stuff. It’s like everything, not difficult if you know what you’re doing. 😂

Depending on where you put the amplifier it’s likely that you’d need to run wires throughout the car. You’ll at least be running speaker wires from the amp to each speaker position, wires from the tuner unit to the amp & finally heavy power & earth cables from the battery & body to the amp. Depending on the available outputs on the tuner you might need an adaptor or harness to enable you to get your input for the amp.

If you're not sure it’s best to get it done professionally, they’ll be able to run the cabling quickly & correctly without any hassle & they’ll know exactly what’s needed before they start working. Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you’re running speakers (instead of a subwoofer) from a separate amplifier, is the way all the cables & wiring are run is very important to avoid picking up interference. Even if it’s all connected up properly any electrical interference picked up through the wiring will be turned into noise & put out through your speakers. It can be tricky to avoid & can also be caused by using incorrect cables or cheap harnesses/parts/etc.

I wouldn’t buy anything online just yet. Go talk to a professional, ICE or whoever & ask their opinion. MTX make good speakers but they’re not the only crowd who made 3-way component speaker kits. 👍🏼

• Advertisement
Advertisement