Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand up for your cat

Options
  • 08-03-2023 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,439 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of shade being thrown at cats recently, on BBC 4 this am we had a lad from Fremantle Aus.advocating cats be confined to a ‘Catio’. A patio fenced in for cats!!!

Also RTE have expressed an opinion that cats are “killers” and should be kept inside during nesting season.

Cats are very useful animals, keep vermin controlled.I have one myself and only time I saw a rat around the gaff was when I dropped a gherkin out of a jumbo burger and saw a lad chewing on it.

No sign of the fooker since..defend your animal folks, they do important work.

Let them roam free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

I like cats, i have two of them.

But theres no doubt that a cat roaming freely outside is a localised bio-diversity catastrophy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your last sentence!!!!! REALLY!

Oh and by the way birds kill birds and rats kill birds and people kill birds..

Why? I mean how do you reach that conclusion anyways? Cats have been roaming free for centuries and we still have a healthy small wild life population, NB birds can and do fly... the ones that get killed are weak and the gene pool benefits..

Yes cats are predators. But not to the extent cat haters aver. And cats need to run and leap and be free too. Oh and remember RATS!

When I came out here some five years ago, there was a generations old " rat run" by the gate... My cats cottoned on and dealt with it. One of the corpses was the size of a small cat.

As there are still abundant birds around?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Feral cats

Map showing locations of feral cats in Australia

From Assessing Invasive Animals in Australia (2008) National Land & Water Resources Audit, Canberra

Feral cats threaten the survival of over 100 native species in Australia. They have caused the extinction of some ground-dwelling birds and small to medium-sized mammals. They are a major cause of decline for many land-based endangered animals such as the bilby, bandicoot, bettong and numbat. Many native animals are struggling to survive so reducing the number killed by this introduced predator will allow their populations to grow.

Feral cats can carry infectious diseases which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I don't like cats but I'd be devastated if the neighbours got rid of their outdoor ones. It's a bit annoying cleaning up their crap from the grass but it's better than having mice in the walls. They earn their keep as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Proof? And probably the opposite... Native critters carry diseases? NB I have been caring for ferals for decades and they are healthier and more disease free than our domestic cats

NB that post is.... well I guess the opposite of whitewash is BLACKWASH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So cats are to blame for us not having any bandicoots around here? Makes sense. 😄

The way I read the post is that it referred to a BBC radio report about cats in Australia. Which I heard myself, and I took it a face value. It didn't suggest that cats in Ireland should be restricted.

Yes absolutely they are. Its not just birds.

Mice, rats, shrews, rabbits, hedgehogs, voles. All small mammals really. Frogs, butterflys etc. If its small and moves a cat will kill it.

Also your list of things that kill birds missed the biggest one - winter.

You must mean stray cats. The ones destroying wildlife in Australia are proper feral.

Stray:

• A stray cat is a cat who lived indoors and was socialized to people at some point in her life, but has left or lost her home, or was abandoned, and no longer has regular human contact.
    • Over time, a stray cat can become feral as her contact with humans dwindles.
    • A stray cat may be socialized enough to allow people to touch her, but she will become less socializedor even feralif she spends too much time without positive interaction with humans.
    • Under the right circumstances, a stray cat can also become a pet cat once again. Stray cats that are re-introduced to an indoor home after living outdoors may require a period of time to re-acclimate; they may be frightened and wary after spending time outside away from people.

Feral:

• A feral cat is an unsocialized outdoor cat who has either never had any physical contact with humans, or human contact has diminished over enough time that she is no longer accustomed to it. Most feral cats are fearful of people and are not likely to ever become a lap cat or enjoy living indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's feral cats that are a problem. That's why they have initiative to neuter the wild population. It's also a problem in countries and/or habitats with flightless birds. Where cats have no natural predators. So their population grows rapidly.

Of course like any thing these days it's exaggerated into hysteria. Someone fat pet cat isn't going to do much. Considering we've concreted over the parks, and killed of the biodiversity that sustained things like birds.

• Advertisement

I did not note any hysteria in the radio report about Australia. I knew nothing about the subject, but a little research on the internet suggests that it is a far from trivial issue. I was aware of the damage being done in Australia by other introduced animals, like rabbits and camels.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/australias-cats-kill-two-billion-animals-annually-180977235/

I was more referring to...

"Also RTE have expressed an opinion that cats are “killers” and should be kept inside during nesting season."

If they'd done any research they'd know its feral cats causing the issue. Which begs the question how do they suggest keeping feral cats inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

oh goodie, an excuse to post pics of cats I've snapped on my travels this week ...

I ignored the bit about RTE expressing an opinion. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I absolutely love cats but I wouldn't lose the plot over someone pointing out issues they may cause when feral, non spayed and roaming free. Calm down and engage like an adult. A number of people here get bizarrely angry over things they merely dislike/disagree with.

A catio is commonplace in the US. It's actually for protecting the cat. Cats are prey as well as predators. Ditto why they're kept indoors all the time. Give me that any day instead of scumbags advocating poisoning/drowning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭beachhead

Same for me and true.Cats in Oz are decimating the native species of various small animals,some are already extinct.Cats were imported to Australia-most likely to keep the British gentry entertained.

In the states feral cat actually do have predators birds of prey, Coyote, Cougar etc.

If you in an area where people are poisoning/drowning them. Its not the cats that are the problem.

The states? Is that the United States of America because Australia has states as well.A holiday there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Judging by your avatar pic you look to be a neutral voice on this particular topic!

• Advertisement

I think its slightly misleading to say "cats" not "feral cats" even after its pointed out.

It nothing to do with being fond of cats or not. Its because while you can keep a pet cat inside a feral cat you can't. Its an entirely different problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've never heard of a cat killing or injuring a small child.

I don't get how you could misinterpret my post like that. Your first paragraph I agreed with in my post in question (cats are prey as well as predators - that's why there are catios and cats kept indoors all the time, to keep the cats safe).

I don't live in such an area, but such scumbags do exist. And the OP expressed objection to catios and cats being kept indoors all the time - but those are preferable to harming or killing cats. And they keep the cats safe.

While exceedingly rare unfortunately it has happened.

We live in a era when people steal pets. I get what your saying.

Probably also came off ships as I think rats did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Cats can be very territorial.

They've been known to smother a new born, which is why it's recommended to bring baby's worn clothes home from hospital before the baby to get them used to the scent etc.

Now I haven't heard of a recent case that I can remember any way. Probably because there's more awareness of it, but according to my mam there were a few cases in her generation.

Advertisement