Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

I honestly have lost all excitement for the game. I'm still open minded, all I need is a strong story and I can forget all the extra fluff. I have no interest in exploring 1000 barren planets. You'd be foolish to believe 1000 exploreable planets is.going to be anything more than "the iron ore planet", "the water planet", "the crystal planet", the "lava planet" etc. 10 templates multiplied by 100.

What they've revealed so far has me thinking about spending my money on the Outer World dlc, enjoy some more of a cracking game and forget all about Starfield (for now).

Oh I forgot I won't really be paying for Starfield as its game pass. So I can spend my money on Outer Worlds dlc and still play Starfield day 1 and be happy I didn't waste my money 😅

Just thought I'd dip back in. Still a wall of negativity. Bethesda bad. Old game engine. Same old, same old. Great. It's this or Reddit, the worst website in the world.

At least it's possible to have a discussion on the game there, even if half of it is lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why does chatter have to be positive or negatively inclined? It's all legitimate, don't think it's either outrageous or beyond the pale to comment on Bethesda's somewhat stubborn adherence to a formula - behind the scenes or beyond. They're possibly the most famous Known Quantity in gaming.

Anyway, Digital Foundry ran a video on the reveal trailer, making some educated guesses about the tech; I'd have said they were being a bit premature, considering how heavily curated the whole "gameplay" section probably was, but still made for interesting viewing ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It does get tiring when they release similar games with the same issues and bugs over and over. Imagine how good the games would be if they were without issues from day 1! I also think it's crazy that as consumers, some of us are happy to say we'll overlook the bugs and issues because we'll be spending a hape of time on it anyway. It's not good enough imo. Especially after all this time.

Granted, I'll play it anyway because it'll be on Gamepass, but if I was buying I'd be waiting.

To be fair Microsoft have been good at delaying games and giving time to finish, in recent history anyway. Have they released a game under Microsoft yet? Will be interesting to see if they get away with this anymore under their control.

No BGS games under Microsoft yet... Hopefully Phil decrees this is the last game they make with the Creation Engine!

Actually, I wonder what engine Indiana Jones will use. Machinegames have been using Id Tech for the Wolfenstein games, but isn't Todd overseeing Indy personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The core game will be narrative driven, with a wonderful rich open world...a massively buggy soon to be community fixed/modded to hell open world :) . The massive universe they describe is not a detractor but will be optional procedurally generated content you can use for XP, mats and the lols. It won't detract from the core game. That's not blind faith in Bethesda it's knowing they came up with a brilliant game concept decades ago that they have slowly evolved over time in the various ES/FO iterances that are all about amazing but limited sandboxes, not vast expanses of nothing. They know their audience, and when they drifted (looking at you FO 76) they corrected (now looking at you my sweet sweet Wastelanders update). At the same time procedural generation is not new, they can rely on a massive trove of existing algorithms to populate near unlimited optional content for anyone who wants it. And if you think no one does how many of us still spin up Skyrim every few years (esp with new mods)? To me what they have indicated is you can wander off-map and have random events and places/dungeons, well in space but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The whole 1000 planets thing kind of misses the mark for me. As far as I understand it, when you reach a planet you’ll be told if there’s anything worth investigating on it, which then just becomes a checklisting exercise. Would prefer if there was less planets and most of them you could expect interesting items or quests(that you’re not told about on arrival but find through exploration).

Of course, I could be proved completely wrong and most of the planets will have stuff and there will be an insane amount of content!

• Advertisement

Odds are it's generic quests generated for each planet template. Maybe they plan on rolling out quests for each planet over time. Game as a service type thing. Could be good, think Sea of Thieves in space with regards to how they jave rolled out content. Started out fairly barren and is now actually a really good game full of content. Problem with that though is if your attention is not caught early you're unlikely to revisit the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As with any randomisation, the key part will be how obvious and noticeable the wires will be: you look at something like Hades and its "random" element is so beautifully constructed it almost feels curated at times.

However, what Hades did was to have less than half a dozen "levels", and make each a deep experience; 1000 worlds sounds like the reverse prospect, with many "levels" and a much shallowed degree of curated-randomisation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Maybe they'll have another Preston Garvey type character in game, "I have another planet that needs seeing too" except this time he'll be in alien form with a least 8 eyes.

The latest puff piece has a couple of tidbits of info. EG, there are over 250K lines of dialogue, compared to Skyrim's 60K and FO4's 111K!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

These games are huge time sinks to get the most out of them. Hopefully it'll be easy to jump in and out of like Skyrim.

That's the beauty of Skyrim.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've a feeling it won't be out next year at all.

My inner cynic automatically presumes the larger number is simply going to account for a lot of ambient chatter:

"Hey, I heard you had got rid of pirates on planet X"

"Hey, I heard you had got rid of pirates on planet Y"

"Hey, I heard you had got rid of pirates on planet Z"

and so on.

Tell me more about planet X: It's a lava planet.

Tell me more about planet Y: It's a water planet.

Tell me more about planet Z: It's a desert planet.

Multiply by 1,000.

With so many planets ... Maybe you can land in Tamriel ...

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.”

😹

Honestly, if a planet, tucked away on the outer edge of the galaxy map, were to consist of the continent Tamriel? It'd be awesome just to watch the canon adherents lose their mind. Wouldn't even have to be populated; maybe just covered in ruins of familiar places...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bethesda: "Starfield will release in November 2022!"

*several months pass*

Bethesda: "Starfield will release in the first half of 2023!"

*several months pass*

Bethesda: "Starfield will release in September 2023!"

Yeah, but this time they mean it!

Hmmm at this stage I'm wondering which will release first: Starfield or Silksong? Both hotly anticipated, but seem a bit lost in development limbo.

Getting 2001 A Space Odyssey vibes from that. And the music was like Spiderman/Avengers but then changed into it's own thing.

I think/hope it'll be great.

My 3 year GamePass sub expires a month after that release date. So, I'm in for a month anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do have to admit when the date came up I was like 'oh, June 9th is the first half of 2023!' - only when Todd said the September date that I realised it was America doing its dates the wrong way around again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Starfield September.

Yep, the US date format convention makes no sense and gets me all the time.

I'd say this is delayed again to at least do some more polishing as XBox needs a killer app at this stage, and they have nothing on the horizon except this game.

It does give off that sense of wonder. So, something to look forward to and fingers crossed.

Nice sneak peak in the video there.

Random loot on generic planet type B (Brown)

There are two types of people:

1) Those who've discovered that Hi-Fi Rush is actually a killer app for Microsoft

2) Those who haven't played Hi-Fi Rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Redfall looks pretty good, Forza Motorsport will probably be out before Starfield.

Advertisement