Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please - Sign the Petition to Save Powerstown Allotments (Fingal County Council managed)

Options
  • 25-04-2022 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

We would be grateful if you would please sign our Petition to keep POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS OPEN. It is the Allotment site Fingal County Council has in Dublin 15 that provides affordable plots to rent so you can 'GROW YOUR OWN' vegetables/fruit. It also nurtures local Birdlife, amongst these Long Eared Owls, Buzzards, Swallows, Pheasants and other nature including Frogs, newts, Pine Martins, Herons as well as Rabbits/Hares. Please help to keep this site open. The link is:-gopetition.com/save-powerstown-allotments.html. Thank you for your much appreciated time and support to this worthwhile cause- The (voluntary) Powerstown Allotment Committee (made up of plot holders).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As Captain Midnight closed the other thread and directed people here then I take that as a tacit confirmation that this thread is allowed.

What however we are missing is the link from the other thread ....

I'm not going to get involved in the discussion of these particular allotments however I think all Councils should have to provide allotments. Perhaps the number of allotments provided should reflect the size of the town or counties population. I don't see that any council closing allotments can have any "green" credibility.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Robin_K

Signed now, hopefully, it's not too late - its a shame to see local council closing allotments.

Just as an FYI........the likes of these 3rd party petition sites are next to useless.

Change.org, Gopetition, etc.........you might as well write your wishes on a piece of paper and burn it, for all the good it does.

There is a portal where you can petition the actual government with whatever you want:

https://petitions.oireachtas.ie/online_petitions.nsf/PetitionForm?openform&type=intro+to+petitions&lang=EN&r=0.192004272526131

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Thanks for the link, very interesting. Another good route to getting councils to change / make policy is via the SPCs (Strategic Policy Committees). If a council makes it policy to support allotments it is better than fighting each issue. In fact most changes are made via these committees that meet regularly - at least once a quarter. Your local PPN (public participation network) should be able to help with committe members / chair names etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try every angle when organising the campaign.

Allotments are such a positive thing it's really sad to see a local authority closing them.

Good luck with your fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Does it really nurture wildlife though? Isn't it intense cultivation including the use of pesticides and herbicides and intentionally destroying bio-diversity in order to maximise yield?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would suspect many allotmenteers eschew the use of pesticides and herbicides? how many though, i do not know.

and an allotment planted with multifarious different plants, with different flowering times, etc., would probably be more useful for pollinators, etc., (assuming limited use of pesticides!) than most other uses of the land, i would think? also, the people growing their food there are not throwing the food away; the food they eat has to be grown somewhere, and my suspicion would be that they're growing it in a more environmentally friendly way than the same food they would otherwise buy in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No idea what's happening in this case but whatever way you look at it an allotment has to be better than the council selling the land for development. How much wildlife does a carpark or housing estate nurture?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement