Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Domino's and Camile have the branding on the outside now, presumably they're getting close

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I had hear somewhere that Dominos was the 20th of March. I'd have though it would be aiming for Paddys days / Weekend.

Looking forward to it anyway. For all of the Artisan type independent pizza places around most of them aren't really nice and are extremely over priced. Sometimes the likes of Apache / Papa Johns and Dominos are far nicer.

Ha ha, I disagree wholeheartedly but it's good there'll be the variety to keep us all happy 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's something somewhat addictive about Dominos that would have me take it in preference to all the other big chains. I'd take a guess the base is laden with sugar.

You should try Gra pizza if you like sugar laden pizza. Nasty and burned crusts.

• Advertisement

They were booked out the one time I tried and I haven't bothered since!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I dislike those "stone baked" types as you say. Most of the time it just seems like a base with a load of slop thrown on top that makes the base soggy, throw some green leaves or fancy toppings

Had the naked pizza yesterday. Far nicer. Base crispy and not burned. Sauce wasnt sugary. Better value too for large pizzas. Much nicer than Gra imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Had Falo pizza a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

looked in earlier, dominos is pretty much done, tho it's looked nearly done for a while, dunno how it's taking this long. almost nothing done in camile tho, thinking they're taking it one building at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

Dominos is open today.

Didn't have a look in, but there's a few signs around the carpark on that side saying "Open Now" and looked like a few people queuing outside an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

It opened on Saturday it seems - I had it yesterday - same usual Dominoes - it wasn’t busy though and the standards slip at very busy times elsewhere usually. No delivery offered but they said it was to start today.

it's €4 for delivery, crazy. only a few years ago you could get a €10 meal for one delivered for free, now same would cost €18.

So a large pizza would be 28 euro delivered.

Keep it.

I’m used to driving to Lucan to collect any time ive wanted a Dominoes so driving to Maynooth is much easier (2x large for €32.99), but I noticed they are open super late (open till 5am Saturday and Sunday, delivering until 3am or possibly even 5am) so I assume much of the game is aimed toward students etc - because I’d agree with you, €29 for a pizza delivered is steep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

According to jobs.ie you can earn 700-800 euro a week delivering for Dominos. I wonder how many hours you'd have to work to earn that.

Jaysis. Could you imagine delivering pizzas for 50 hours a week.

Does that include tips though or estimated tips? I'd say it's minimum wage so wouldn't be anywhere near 800 based on that.

You’d wonder is it even - a few years back a friend took a job for Supermac’s delivering. He had to use his own car, fuel etc plus add insurance, and then they were paying €4 an hour plus €2 or €2.50 for every successful delivery. Basically he had to make at least 2 in an hour to get minimum wage. Some nights when it was slower he’d basically lose money.

hopefully Dominoes are more reasonable though

Tips are gone to crap now too as nearly everyone is paying at order. Used to be a lot of people leaving anything from a euro to the bulk of a fiver in changes.

For the last few months I have had two coins in my wallet, a 1 euro and a 2p. For trolleys - the 2p works as a 2 euro coin!

• Advertisement

Just seen a Facebook post (so very much unverified) saying the final unit by Tesco will be The Smoking Goat, branching out from Celbridge

Yeah not many people carry coins anymore. I used to deliver for Uber Eats which allows customers to tip in the app which is handy, and most people would give you something. Unfortunately Just Eat doesn't have that option.

I'd always try to tip a delivery driver but yeh it's not easy with everything being digital these days. If a driver was making 20 deliveries on a slow night then 2 euro per delivery could be the difference between making a few quid.

Saw that about the smoking goat. Like Camille though I find the prices extremely high. Especially if you are ordering for 4 people. Food looks great though.

L'Art du Chocolat is a good spot and some savage looking women working in it.

Ordered Dominos. Still seem to be lacing the pizza base with crack or something; think that's Mizzonis done for for my late night orders

Delivery driver was fully uniformed (and in decent enough wet weather gear for how rotten it was about 7 too); not sure if that can be taken to imply its better paid though - pretty sure the Mizzoni drivers used to have uniforms too!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Brilliant. SG have the best kebabs. Have no idea why half half kebab is so much more expensive though?

Tried dominos yesterday. Not great. But not the worst. Pricey. I collected it being as tight as i am.

Id rate pizza in the town as follow

1. Naked

2. Papa johns

3. Apache

4. Dominos

5. Pizza dog

6. Gra

7. Mizzoni

8. Donatellos

i knew some people who done delivery nights with them & it seemed like decent enough for an extra nights work. it's cash in hand even tho it looks more professional, or at least it's untaxed, as apparently they sign something admitting fault if they dont pay tax on their own accord.

As it's not on your list, I'd recommend giving falò a try. Definitely above the likes of Apache for me

(That said, I actually quite like Mizzoni, so we might have different tastes 😝)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Food guru on main street in maynooth is owned by the same people who own the smoking goat in celbridge

Advertisement