Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

The state have spent the last number of years vilifying landlords for the current housing crisis they cant be seen to turn around and reward them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Since he is a landlord him, wonder why he is not trying to improve the current system which doesn't work full stop.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

That's total rubbish, as is all of the anti-landlord drivel you post.

Clueless!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No need for the victim complex, or to get so triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

Dude, read your own signature and follow the advice! Put them on ignore and be done with their shite.

• Advertisement

There appears to be a fair overlap between those who just want handout, handout, handout and more handouts, and those who can't understand the real world.

Imagine feeling so personally triggered just because someone pointed out that someone who had been renting under-the-table might have run for the door when the other party would be incentivized to document their arrangement with revenue. Are ye all naive? Or was it just too close to the bone for a few of ye?

And no, I'm not arguing with you, so I'm not breaking the other poster's signature! I'm just telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,895 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The contentious issue in your post being that you said 'largely driven by'. Not that you said some landlords were not tax compliant.

What's 'largely driving' this exit is not landlords being incompliant with tax now being shown up, it's the level of uncertainty around where everything may go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They are leaving because you can't make money out of it unless you sell your house and now is a good time to sell.

Government has backed landlords into this position. They need to do something to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

I know, was thinking the exact same thing after I posted it 😆

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

There will be a regular level of turnover. You have plenty of people telling us on here how many have left over the past X years. That we had a particular rush for the exits at the end of last year can then be attributed to something additional.

I would still say that the rush (i.e. the excess over normal) was largely driven by non-tax compliant ones leaving. Do I have evidence of this beyond anecdotal - no. But you don't have evidence that it wasn't.

Someone posted a mickey-mouse survey where about half the people said that they were leaving because of the level of tax. Well what was the major change in tax in 2022 that caused people to say "I've had enough". There wasn't one. If that was the reason they'd have exited in 2021 or 2020 or 2019 etc. It would however affect people who suddenly found themselves having to go from "0% under the counter" to actually having to pay tax on that income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Do I get this right.... Tenants owed money to the tune of 19k... Yet they got a bonus of free cash of 15k.

Maybe I missed something.

Living the life

Think your reaching quite a bit. A landlord not being tax compliant is very risky.

I'm sure high inflation, rent caps and restrictive legislation convinced many landlords to sell up in 2022. The belief that property prices have peaked also contributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Landlord is being punished for not accepting the tenant's HAP payment, why he didn't just terminate the tenancy is anyone's guess.

Seems like the landlord was acting the bollox.

Strange that the revenue said he wasn't tax compliant. Sure aren't we all being told on here that no landlord is not tax compliant. The Revenue must be wrong.

What do you think the following figure would be roughly? Even an order of magnitude?

1) The regular number of landlords selling houses based on other years

2) The additional jump at the end of last year

3) The number of landlords

4) the percentage of landlords not tax-compliant.

5) How percentage of non-tax complant landlords might have been motivated to jump due to the new renters tax credit (which was flagged as having the benefit of bringing them into the tax net)

Do you think that 3x4x5 would be really insignificant versus 2?

No, they were on HAP and paid their rent all the time. But the landlord, through no fault of the tenant, decided that he was no longer accepting HAP.

He pulled the 19k rent arrears out of his arse, she not only paid all her rent, but even doubled it and then doubled it again for a period. She had over paid due to the pressure he put in her.

The headline should be "landlord that forced tenant into overpaying rent after illegally refusing HAP. Gets fined the maximum amount allowed because he didn't show up to the remote court case".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Can you show where posters on this forum said all landlords were tax compliant?

There will always be rogue landlords and tenants. But sure hey your rhetoric reminds me of lord of the flies " four legs good two legs bad" so in your head "tenants good landlords bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

This is a graph of overall house sales in Ireland over the past 10 years

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/existing-home-sales

So what is the "surge" from last year? Relative to the previous year you might say it's less than 100 per month. In reality it seems actually broadly in line with the two years prior.

If you want to take 2015-2019 then you might say the increase is 500 per month (albeit there was a fall off in 2020 due to covid and hence a bit of catch up). Plus you'd be talking about the 2020's for the market to reach it's previous high and for people to hit the psychological barrier of the house being worth "more" than they bought it for.

So what are we at then? Can we say that 2% of landlords/units might not be tax compliant? Are ye going to whinge over that?

Now we have to estimate the number of landlords. We are told on here that small landlords constitute something like 94% of the market. And that 43k of them have left. So 43k have left, yet they still hold 94% of the market. Let's say that there are 250k units being rented by small landlords.

So then we have 5k non-tax compliant landlords. let's say 10% of them were "smart" enough to run for the hills. That's an additional 500 sales. You'll have to give me a strong argument to say they weren't a large component of any rush for the door. Most of the sales appear to be general turnover.

The above are only rough numbers to illustrate the point. I'm not going to get into arguments over whether the number is 1% or 2% or 0.1% etc.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Think you're stretching it there quite a bit. She doubled the amount she had been paying but neither amount was ever equal to the rent due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Either way the case is hardly relevant to a thread about the winter eviction ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Question on the policy around the eviction ban.

Do people think that if a LL serves notice to sell a property and the tenant gets first refusal, my understanding is that an independent valuer assesses the property and the tenant can purchase at this price.

Does the LL have to accept that offer?They may get a higher offer on the open market.

If the tenant cannot get the funds together, the Housing Body can purchase.

Same question, would the LL be forced to sell at that independent valuation price to the Housing Body?

If the answer to either is yes, would the landlord not just evict, move in themselves or a family member.

And then sell at a slight delay on the open market, since there is no longer an exiting tenant that is not them or their family?

If you take someone on HAP you sign a contract with the three of you. Council, tenant, landlord. All three have an obligation to live up to that contract.

Her contract was to pay the rent she owes which is about €25. She paid it, then bumped it to 50 (double) and then 100.

The landlord had a separate contract with the council/social to receive another amount to offset the difference. It was this portion that was in arrears.

The landlord failed to adhere to the stipulated criteria so the council/social stopped that payment as per the contract.

If he had a problem with the rent not being paid he should have taken it up with the council and revenue. Not with the person who was doing everything above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

It’s because it’s moving in stages for the accidental landlords, the tax was always too high but people couldn’t sell until they got out of negative equity, we know they’ve been selling since 2018,:so the people who bought 2002-2004 exited around 2018-2020, the ones who bought 2005-2007, have been selling since 2018-2023.

When people say tax is too high they mean the tax is too high to keep them letting out the property now that they’re out of negative equity,mtheyd rather sell because they can. The tax has to be absolutely slashed or it’s going to keep happening, like I say it doesn’t all move at once, it moves in stages.

of course th3n there are people who may have bought at the bottom in 2012 who are now sitting on big gains and they want to realise those, and again the punitive tax doesn’t make the risk of prices dropping worth it, All about tax, let people make,only and that’s what they’ll do, problem is they can’t with the current tax regime.

In fairness that guy her landlord sounds like a scumbag, he had it coming

It's income tax on their income. It's not something that has any valid basis to grant them tax advantages. All that that would do is bump up the prices of houses even further at the expense of the State. Let them sell if they aren't able to manage renting. There are others who can manage it so we shouldn't be subsidizing inefficient ones. If they can manage, then they can keep doing it if they want. I don't really care. They don't get to keep the properties and keep whinging about it though.

Unfortunately the State will likely hoover up any properties being sold with their bottomless public purse and zero accountability.

There are rules about making it available to the original tenant again within a certain time period. It's not just as simple as stating you need it for yourself, and then claiming you fulfilled that by staying overnight in the house one night before putting it on the market the next day.

The tenant will be gone. But they can still take you to court for damages even if they find a nicer place that suits them better in the case where your reason for eviction was not legitimate.

But they are selling as has been shown over and over, it’s easy change the tax treatment on rental income so to keep referring to it as some immovable mountain is a bit of a strawman, when we know the rent a room scheme has a tax exemption on income up to 14 grand just whack that up to 25 grand on rental properties and we’re golden.

• Advertisement

What that would do is make properties even more expensive. Which will incentivize some even more to jump ship

Let's suppose you put your rental investment on the market today. The valuer says he thinks it is worth 300k. Now consider there is a surprise press conference tomorrow at 6pm. Two scenarios. They are extreme scenarios rather than realistic to illustrate the point.

1) Varadkar announces a 0% tax on rental income

2) Varadkar announces a 100% tax on rental income.

What would you appraise the value of your house then the following day under either scenario? Still 300k or more than 300k or less than 300k?

They could perhaps make the existing rent-a-room more attractive to other people. Bump up that limit of 14k and maybe even do something more drastic like give a temporary subsidy of 50 quid a week or something to the owner for the next year or two for every room let out for example. That would increase prices a little too, but the effect would be less pronounced.

Advertisement