Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It was a good win. Tough day for the props. They held up at some scrum but as the 1st half wore on the seemed to lose momentum. McErlean is some lad under the high ball. McNabney was the pick of the pack for me.

We don't have a openside, imo. Quinn is not suited for it. He's a good player, just looks out of position. We'll surely bat Scotland. England will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

In the preseason game i watched he operated in the same kinds of area hodnett does. The way the under 20s play (lots of off 9 stuff) kind of makes him a breakdown guy rather than a carrier, or at least carrying in the spots that he excels. I think he will look a lot better for Munster than this.

I’m pretty excited about McNabney. Telfer will be electric next year. He is some talent.

This squad looks to have some belters indeed. There's not much rotation. I'd like to see a few new lads get a chance.

Watching it back, Gunne did well. Gus McCarthy looked good too.

Paddy McCarthy complaining constantly to the ref. Not a good look. He needs to figure out what his problems are. This was his weakest match so far, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Haven’t been impressed with him so far. Can have big moments that show his promise but was expecting more overall

• Advertisement

He looks like a back row. I can see the promise but he needs to put on a ton of weight. If him and boyle are the next elite wave after furlong and porter, well it will be a less physically imposing profile for sure. I preferred mcguire from last year.

Whatever about Paddy McCarthy, who I agree looks too slight for a prop, Jack Boyle has noticeably put a lot of size on over his injury layoff. I dunno if you saw him against Dragons, but he looks a much bigger unit now than he did at 20s, or even where he was last summer. I'd say he's north of 112kg now, but he still looks pacey at that size.

Boyle is going to be good. I think the comparison to porter is probably inherently unfair because porter is one of the freakiest guys ireland has ever produced. McCarthy to me looks like a loosehead, and i know he has played there. So, i wonder how much boyle is forcing them to try him at tighthead or if that’s even a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

He played TH in school and plays both for Trinity so probably want to keep his options open. Easier (apparently) to move from TH to LH so it would limit him by changing him to LH this early.

McCarthy and Boyle are weird prospects to me - two of the most exciting players I've seen in the last few years of the Leinster Senior Cup who skittled players much bigger than themselves for fun, so I expected some growing pains as they made the move to senior level and played against heavier and stronger opposition. Both had a sort of thin frame for a prop so comparisons to Porter are off the mark for me, just google what Porter looked like to see the weight he was able to play carry at that age. Different players as well - Porter had incredible strength if his gym number rumours were anything to go by, whereas the other two are much more about explosive power.

I guess there's going to be a transition with them to slowly see what weight their bodies can handle while retaining that speed/power that their game is built around. Boyle seems to be adapting well anyway, but I reckon it won't be too long until people are wondering about switching McCarthy to LH. All comes down to the scrum probably, people generally want size in their TH but if you're a natural in the scrum or develop the technique then you're golden. Can't think of many small THs though - Owen Franks springs to mind I think, he was freakishly strong for his size as well.

I think its a pretty good bet. If they can get a guy with that natural pop to a weight where he can hold up, the upside is pretty unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Id say he's tipping closer to 120kg than he is to 112kg

Whatever size he's at now, he's supposed to have scored a cracker of a try from about 35m + out for UCD against Cork Con.

I'm really optimistic on him, and think he'll be a full international within 18 months or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

In the modern game they'd be close to that weight and in the off season are probably over it. Really depends on the individual some guys can naturally carry weight as they have that big bone physique. Eg Furlong even without hitting a gym was always going to be a bull of a man once he reached his 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There's a big gap about to open up at loosehead behind Porter in the next year or two with Healy and Kilcoyne winding down, so a senior cap in 2024 is definitely a goer for Boyle if he can progress with Leinster.

Scotland are pretty poor again this year. I would think there would be a little bit of rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Am I right in saying all the Munster contingent are underage again next year?.. O'Connell and Gleeson def are..Think Quinn and the two Sheehans are as well.. Crazy to think Gleeson has another year of it.. Wonder if he might be fast-tracked with Munster though given his power.

Prendergast is sensational. Wasn't sure how quick he was but chased back a kick against Wales I remember and outpaced them all including some back 3 players. His 50:22 (22:22!) against Italy might be the single most sublime kick of a rugby ball I can remember.

Quinn isn’t but the rest are. Also Telfer but he’s Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It's funny, must be a visual thing because he looks very stiff at times but he has decent pace and good feet.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1546801916096782336

Joe Hopes is available next year. There's some good u19's also, Berman who's in the squad and I think Gunne might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

Hes tall. Long strides tend to look slower than they are

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Every time he steals a lineout are we going to have 'Hopes Springs Eternal' as a headline?

****, i thought he was. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m kind of disappointed he isn’t playing more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Current weather forecast for Glasgow for Friday is not great. Very cold from tonight on into the weekend with snow from Thursday onwards. March can still be very wintry right through the month in Scotland some years.

If it comes to it I wonder would they try to get the game played at some point over the weekend or would it need to be postponed to a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would say it should be fine. Game on all weather. Could see it behind closed doors if it was risky for people travelling to venue

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

A look at the stats for the Italian U20 team;

1. Destiny Ugiagbe Aminu - 6'1 - 122kg
    2. Giovanni Quattrini - 5'11 - 107kg
    3. Marcos Francesco Gallorini - 6'3 - 133kg
    4. Alex Mattioli - 6'6 - 100kg
    5. Pietro Turrisi - 6'7 - 120kg
    6. Carlos Berlese Lizardo - 6'3 - 102kg
    7. David Odiase - 6'2 - 104kg
    8. Jacopo Botturi - 6'1 - 103kg
    9. Sebastiano Battara - 5'11 - 80kg
    10. Giovanni Sante - 6'2 - 94kg
    11. Mathias Leon Douglas - 5'11 - 80kg
    12. Nicola Bozzo - 5'10 - 94kg
    13. Dewi Passarella - 6'2 - 101kg
    14. Alessandro Gesi - 5'10 - 87kg
    15. Francois Carlo Mey - 6'2 - 95kg
    16. Nicholas Gasperini (Hooker) - 6'0 - 112kg
    17. Samuele Taddei (Prop) - 6'1 - 102kg
    18. Alex Valentino Artuso (Prop) - 6'3 - 127kg
    19. Enrico Pontarini (Lock) - 6'5 - 100kg
    20. Filippo Lavorenti (Back Row) - 6'4 - 105kg
    21. Filippo Bozzoni (Scrum Half) - 5'10 - 77kg
    22. Simone Brisighella (Fly Half) 6'2 - 85kg
    23. Valerio Siciliano (Back Row) - NA

Team named. Molony on the bench. O'Connell starts as does Barrett. Pat McCarthy on the bench. Andrew Osborne in on the wing.

Not too much rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Pretty harsh on Oji who has reacted very well to whatever setback there was before the 6 nations, he’s started the last 3 games for UL with 1 try and 1 spectacular assist. He’s prob on his best run of form in the AIL to date.

Advertisement