Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Sam do you really believe that many of those putting up Irish signs in my area are not doing it to be triumphalist?

you should really consider a little your beliefs. You say “having been to watch an All Ireland hurling final, the crowd was not segregated in any way and a good time was had by all”. You do realise anyone could say exactly this about most activities. I could say it about attending my local 12th.

and you ask why is there so much hatred in unionists. Unionists are human you know? There are big ones, small ones, fat ones, thin ones, bigoted ones, liberal ones, good ones, bad ones. I guess that just might be true for nationalists as well.

stop hating us. It will burn you up. We are just imperfect people you are sharing this plot of land with.

I disagree with almost all you say there, but let’s assume you are correct; why do you think we are such - is it in our genes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because partition destroyed normality for Unionists too. Almost from the beginning they adopted a siege mentality from fear of having to share power. Territorial 'Our wee country' displays evolved out of that even when the territory wasn't under threat. The 'fleg' protests and the aversion to the language of where they live are symptoms too as is the current foot stamping and never never never's.

What do you refer to as ‘our wee country displays’?

our territory has been under serious threat for generations. Initially from within. Then since 26 counties broke away and partitioned the island forming a new sub-state, that state has threatened us, initially with a constitution that claimed jurisdiction over OWC. Then tacit and actual support for a violent gorilla campaign and more recently mischievously agitating to damage our place in the Union.

Is it much wonder there would be a siege mentality, when our nearest neighbour has such an attraction for us. And all this when the population of OWC has consistently said it wants to remain in the union. 100 years has seen the percentage want to partition from the Uk decrease from 33% to 32% I can’t think of any point in the last 400 years when there was a majority of the people in the current territory of OWC who wanted to detach from our mainland (I may be wrong and open to correction)

is there anywhere in the world where a people have agitated for 400 years against the wishes of the majority?

But you want to blame the unionists!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I have to point out that it was Westminster that partitioned Ireland, not "26 counties". And it was the Northern Ireland institutions that elected to opt out of the new dominion in 1922, not the IFS institutions excluded them. Between Dublin, Belfast and Westminster, the one party that had no say at all in the partition of Ireland was Dublin.

The notion of agitating "for 400 years" against the wishes of the majority is a curious one. The UK didn't become even a semi-democracy until less than 200 years ago; how you can claim to know what "the wishes of the majority" were before that is beyond me. But the eagerness with which the Catholic majority were denied any political voice during that time suggests that the political establishment of the time may not have shared your view on what the majority wanted. And, since the UK became somewhat democratic, nationalist parties have always secured a substantial majority of the popular vote in Ireland. There's no time at which the Union of 1801 ever received an electoral mandate in Ireland. Partition, as you know, basically an attempt to carve out a statelet in which union with GB could receive an electoral mandate It wouldn't have been necessary if your view were correct.

If Unionists can only defend their positions with gross historical distortions of that kind, that does suggest a certain want of self-confidence in Unionism.

• Advertisement

The Irish government was not a victim of partition but a willing participant. They agreed to the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 which gave Northern Ireland the option to remain in the UK. They knew that this would create a division of The island and they accepted it for their own interests.

your argument is a bit like saying that the eu forced the Framework Agreement on the Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Their own interests" being to avert the threat of "immediate and terrible war" which they lacked the capacity to survive. So the notion that this is something they did freely is not one that will command a great deal of support.

But we are where we are. Northern Ireland exists and has existed for over a hundred years. This creates a reality which can't be magicked away by arguments over the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the circumstances of its creation. So (I respectfully suggest) unionists shouldn't need to rely on fabrications of history to defend their position today. And, by the same reasoning, likewise nationalist arguments that NI is an illegitimate entity today because of the circumstances of its creation a hundred years ago have little merit. The historical events concerned are interesting and important, but they don't determine the rightness or wrongness, wisdom or foolishness, of anybody's political positions today.

As to you your question about people agitating "for 400 years against the wishes of the majority" (in an area that wasn't even defined for the first 300 of those years), I'd point out that agitating against the wishes of the majority is a fundamental democratic right. Indeed, it's not only legitimate; it's necessary for a functioning democracy that groups that don't command a majority should nevertheless advance alternative positions. So, again, unionists should be slow to present this as something fundamentally illegitimate. Such a stance reflects very badly on unionism; it creates the impression that unionism and democracy are not compatible. That's not an impression unionists should want to create.

I suggest that unionist are better served by defending the union on its own merits, rather than by seeking to delegitimise the view of those who disagree with them.

An artificially created 'majority'.

It's quite clear from the above that my point is correct. You just don't describe it the same. Partition destroyed normality for everyone. Those who partitioned and maintained it are to blame for it.

As usual, you only quote the parts of the actual history that suits you. You know it it is more complex than the above, that partition was a temporary solution under a threat of war, and an all island election was ignored. You know this because you have been told many times.

Anyone looking on knows it too because it has failed on many counts, including right now.

We are all just quoting bits of history. If your government thought it was temporary then they should have been honest with everyone and put it in the agreement. My community never expected it to be temporary.

I know you still think it is temporary ‘because you have told me so many times’ - so I am not sure what you are complaining about. I guess nothing is for ever

cant disagree with any of that post. I was responding to this monotonous argument of others that all our problems are due to partition (whoever created it or acquiesced in it)

• Advertisement

They did know what was proposed was 'temporary'.

Initially it was intended that the northern area would include all nine counties of Ulster because this would facilitate reunification at some time in the future, (i,e, 'temporary)* but after a lengthy confrontation the government yielded to the unionists’ demands that they be given only six counties. In such a reduced area their majority would be larger and they imagined that their position would be more secure.

*Italics mine.

That is why they insisted on 6 counties where they could keep a majority. They(Unionists) got rid of proportional representation as soon as they could and the rest is history.

Know the history downcow.

We need to react when we hear echo's of that history Peregrinus.

MP's/partitionists proposing super-majorities for instance or moves in Westminster to alter International agreements or to give 'legal assurances' in order to appease Unionists in the hope they will be democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"Our Territory"

What type of mindset is in someone who refers to the place in which they live as "our territory" ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It sums up the impossibility of bringing certain cliques within that demographic into a broader, more inclusive fold. Be it a shared Stormont executive or more. It's all about territory, threats from outside; everything's under siege. Flegs and kerbstones irrationally become something borderline existential, culturally exaggerated. The threats from Tahdgs first and now, liberals and foreigners. Outside of somewhere like Hungary there's probably no region in the EU more illiberal than certain portions of Northern Ireland (portions slowly dwindling, mind). Well, that and certain areas in England, as we saw with Brexit (and those folk probably themselves look down on the cosplayers over in the North; no kinship would be found there).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's one of the most sensible posts on this and other related threads.

People from all sides of the communities need to be finding ways to work together. Not sticking their fingers in the others eyes or trying to use legislative procedure to drive change against the wishes of others.

Needs compromise on all sides and that includes nationalists/ republicans just as much as unionism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was going to reply to this but it is utterly pointless.

You have your own facts - not found in history books, encyclopaedias, the main stream media, or anywhere outside Unionist circles.

Clearly the real, generally accepted, facts are never going to be sufficient no matter how cogently explained to make the slightest dent in your impervious level of certainty of your own invented facts that are the foundation of your warped sense of reality that I will refrain from responding to this nonsense.

This was all achieved in previous agreements Furze. Again, you need to look at the actual history. Unionism continually reneges on agreements, not just with nationalists either.

You are saying anything I don’t. The Irish government still agreed to it

That’s a bit rich.

you have just told us that you thought partition was just temporary, even though the agreement said otherwise.

You think I am not truly British even though the gfa says otherwise.

you think there should be a referendum now even though the gfa says otherwise

etc etc

Absolutely nothing in that post of mine that is not factual.

• Advertisement

You have the worst understanding of actual history that I have seen here.

Even the drafters of the Government Of Ireland Act thought it was temporary and nationalists were not even consulted:

The Third Home Rule Act had been on the statute book since 1914 and could no longer be postponed. To stop the act from coming into effect by default, the British prime minister, David Lloyd George, established a committee, chaired by Walter Long, to draft the Fourth Home Rule Bill or Government of Ireland Bill.

The Long Committee

Long was a staunch unionist and fervent anti-Sinn Féin cabinet member. Unsurprisingly, his committee was unionist in outlook. There was no nationalist representation whatsoever, nor were nationalists even consulted. The leading Ulster unionist, James Craig, and his associates were the only Irishmen consulted by the Long Committee during the drafting of the bill. The first meeting of the committee decided to create distinct legislatures for Ulster and the southern provinces, linked by a common Council of Ireland comprising twenty representatives from each parliament. This was the first time that a British government proposed a separate parliament for Ulster. Long’s committee envisaged that the Council of Ireland would lead to ‘the peaceful evolution of a single parliament for all Ireland’.

and Unionists opposed this Act as well but funnily enough, came to embrace it, just like they always do.

P.S. I fully respect your British identity, I respect all identities in Ireland.

I have never advocated for a referendum 'now'. I think a referendum should take place at least 2 years after it is called.

You are still telling me nothing knew. Surely you are not blaming unionists for the Irish government signing up to an agreement that they either didn’t understand or thought they could break. It’s a very strange position to take.

the fact remains that the separatist Irish government acquiesced in the partition of this island.

Here is what you said:

If your government thought it was temporary then they should have been honest with everyone and put it in the agreement. My community never expected it to be temporary.

I've shown you that Unionists (who sat on the committee that drafted the thing) knew it was intended to be temporary and would

lead to ‘the peaceful evolution of a single parliament for all Ireland’.

The Irish government didn't draft the Act so couldn't have 'put it in the agreement'.

The big bad Brits wrote an agreement and didn’t let nationalists see it before they signed it. Is that really what you are saying.

nationalist Ireland have, for 100 years, tried to distance themselves from an agreement that they signed up to. It makes recent errors by the dup look very tame by comparison.

who are you saying misread my community so badly? or are you saying that the intention of nationalists was to force us out of the Uk against our will?

we can’t fix that error 100years later.

You pivot away to something else all you want.

I gave you the facts in relation to what you said, which was:

If your government thought it was temporary then they should have been honest with everyone and put it in the agreement. My community never expected it to be temporary.

I honestly don’t get your point. Are you saying that there was an agreement that ni would only remain for a temporary period in the Uk? How long was it to be? Sounds a wee bit like sf signing up to self determination for ni in gfa and then Gerry Adam’s announcing that he expected a United ireland by 2016. and in the same way as an element of unionists thought that gfa meant there would soon be a Ui, I’m sure some same feelings were around 1921. I guess some will be thinking the same in 2121

You said this.

I corrected you. Your community sat on the committee that drafted the Bill which was envisaged

would lead to ‘the peaceful evolution of a single parliament for all Ireland’.

I.E. they knew it was intended to be temporary. I also said the irish government wasn't involved in the drafting or passing of the Bill/Act so could not have put anything 'in the agreement'.

It was an ACT passed in the HoC's that partitioned Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As I said, you have your own facts, even if no-one else outside Unionism (DUP style) would consider them based on any version of reality.

In this you say that there was an agreement that NI would only remain for a temporary period in the UK.

This is wrong on two counts.

1. The UK did not exist in 1921, it was the British Empire.
    2. The whole of Ireland was to remain within the British Empire, but Ireland would get Home Rule but still be part of the British Empire, as per the 1914 Home Rule Bill that was never enacted. It was envisaged there would be two parliaments, with Ulster (well part of Ulster) would be structured to guarantee a long certain protestant majority for this Unionist parliament. A protestant Parliament for a Protestant people.

Of course the facts are in your head, and unfortunately, only in your head.

There are many good history books you could read to get the real facts, but that might only cause you utter confusion.

’my community’ certainly were not all sitting around a table to hear nuances of discussions. What you are saying is ludicrous and would have crazy repercussions for every agreement ever written. So you are saying ignore the text and go with the notions of those in the room and hope that they will relay those notions accurately to the masses. It is incredible that you are suggesting such.

and your notion that If you are not involved in actually drawing up and agreement, then you can claim afterwards that as a reason to change your mind - that should make life easy for the dup re the FM.

You do realise you last number of posts are pretty incredible.

• Advertisement

Well if you are correct then I will hold my hands and apologise. I always believed that the Uk of gb & ire was formed 220 years ago and then a separatist movement in one part of it led to eire being formed.

1. you said “The UK did not exist in 1921, it was the British Empire.“

here is what I believed:

That Great Britain and Ireland shall upon Jan. 1, 1801, be united into one kingdom; and that the titles appertaining to the crown, &c. shall be such as his Majesty shall be pleased to appoint. That the succession to the crown shall continue limited and settled as at present. That the United Kingdom be represented in one Parliament

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement