Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

by all accounts an excellent teacher

According to whom though? I know he himself has told the courts that he's an excellent teacher. Regardless of his qualifications, I find it hard to believe that someone so dogmatic, self-righteous, and closed to other perspectives or opinions, could be a positive influence on young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think some of you misread evangelists - it's par for the course for the community to agree vigorously when other members speak the truth of the lord. Just go along to some of the more progressive catholic or protestant churches now, where they have services for our new citizens. Lots of vigorous singing, praise be the lords and swaying, nodding. Nothing odd really about it, just the way of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It is their view/belief that the western world is corrupted with their religious belief under attack anywhere they go they will meet what they believe is wrong.

Putting their abhorrent behaviour aside do you not think they share lots of beliefs about western culture that wouldn't be share by Somali/Afghani etc immigrants and lots of traditional cultures in other jurisdictions?

Try explaining transgenderism to a Muslim or Christian immigrant from Nigeria or in your local mosque.

The trans issue for them is just the latest crazy element of modern culture; their truth(whatever the fcuk their version of Christianity involves) hasn't and won't change.

As far as I can see they are all degree educated with at least one having worked in Dublin. They have left the nest, but still return. Aimee didn't home school to be a lawyer.

Clearly, right or almost entirely wrong, they have incredible loyalty to each other.

Humans, even on here/Facebook/Twitter etc need to belong to a tribe and will put up with a lot in order to stay loyal to that tribe. There tribe is just a very small one.

There are lots of elements of extreme left and right politics which are as equally immune to rational thought, honest discussion. The religious cranks will be replaced by something similar just it'll be a new book instead of an old one they rely on

Had they actually behaved like decent people it would have made for a fascinating court case had Enoch Burke refused to use the students preferred pronoun on religious grounds.

Personally given their level of carry on it shows how weak the courts are when someone is truly belligerent. Lots of jurisdictions would have them all facing decent sentences at this juncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It is possible he was an excellent educator from an academic point of view, but you're right about the rest.

The teenage years can be tough enough without facing sneering judgement based on extreme religious ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He wasn't in trouble with Wilson's before his outburst at the school function so they had no problem with him up until then. There are a few articles online that state parents said he was an excellent teacher.

Your dislike of Burke and what Burke stands for (I don't blame you for disliking him) seems to be clouding your judgement. You don't have to be a good person to be a good teacher. Plenty of ar5eholes with terrible traits can be good teachers. And given that most secondary school teachers only teach 2 subjects, it gives them less range to try instill their own personal views on their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah yes, Burke an excellent teacher, just as how his brood is very popular and well liked in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Why do you think a Muslim would need the trans issue explained to them? Your ignorance is showing, as a small google will tell you that being trans isn't against the Quran. This isn't a "western issue" it's a psychological issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

They let him out last time and didn't deduct the money directly so no, they haven't been tried correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Have you any evidence that he wasn't an excellent teacher? Prior to his outburst that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its definitely tragic as hilarious as it is.

The kids never had a hope to be anything but clones of Mammy complete with all the "quirks" that entails.

The only good thing is its incredibly unlikely there's gunna be another generation of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Anyone causing judges flee Court twice for their safety is newsworthy. And the Burkes know that. It’s a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

A District Court case next week and at least two more High Court appearances this year for them, expect more of this sh one t.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"The only good thing is its incredibly unlikely there's gunna be another generation of them."

I wouldn't bank on it, If half of them breed like mammy and daddy that's 50 more Burkes.

However the ones that do procreate are more likely to be the ones that get out, like Megan Phelps.

So what you wanna do? Turn Enoch upside down and shake out his pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

I saw a couple of his teaching videos on YouTube and to give him credit, he seems like a very good teacher. It’s just a shame about all the rest of his carry on. You just wouldn’t be able to trust that the proverbial wouldn’t hit the fan if a student “came out” or one of them got pregnant or whatever. It’s just such a shame and I wonder, when mammy pops her clogs will they be free or unable to function without direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I thought that in the CAO process, if you decline any course, you won't get offered a place on any lower point courses.

So if the bould Enoch declined a place in medicine, how come he got into whatever degree he did in German?

Exactly, the Burkes maybe a bit on the extreme side in how they go about things but they are hardly outliers in this world or even in Ireland. I'd be thinking the clergy (of all persuasions) are watching on quietly and nodding in approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

he was Avery dedicated teacher

he had a YouTube channel where he went to a lot of trouble explaining complex things in very simple terms

here is an example of him explaining the tenses in German

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyI4BPvs2X0

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Funny how so many like to mock religious Ireland of the few decades with smug remarks like "how could they all be so foolish, look how holy they all were" and yet we have the same religious fervour being inverted and extolled by people wishing to reject reality and call a boy a girl just because they "identify" as such. The Burkes are sticking to their guns and for that they are to be admired. In fact our upcoming hate speech laws are far far worse and limit expression than previous blasehemy laws. Soon we would have more freedom to talk in "holy oppressive catholic ireland" than we will soon have in our woke paradise that nobody seems to have been consulted on, rather just foisted upon us by our benevolent overlords and holy clergy in the media.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Omg seems completely sane. And yes, does seem like a very good teacher based on this video anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you placed that post in the conspiracy theory forum, I think some regular members might say “WTF is this post doing in this forum?”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

He was probably a bit too busy to respond to Vishakha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Maybe you are right and there is a massive trans scene in Herat, Riyadh, Mogadishu, Islamabad etc but a quick Google got me this.

There maybe progressive elements of the Muslim who accept tranasgenderism but the Quran wouldn't be my go to for it

https://muslimmatters.org/2022/06/21/fatwa-regarding-transgenderism/

"Given all these realities, the Fiqh Council, in accordance with all mainstream fiqh scholarly bodies around the world, deems that it impermissible to actively attempt to change one’s biological sex/gender, whether through hormone treatment, surgical procedures, or any combination of the two. All mechanisms for seeking to actively transition from one sex/gender to another are forbidden according to the teachings of Islam."

Islam and Transgender (A Study of Hadith about Transgender) by Muh Bahrul Afif

"D. CONCLUSION Islam through the prophet’s hadith that was studied in this article explained that resembling or tasyabbuh the opposite sex (transgender) was assertively forbidden in Islam. The experts who understood this hadith gave the limitation of resembling, that is resembling in appearance, related to the special clothing that was used by the opposite sex, and behaviour, related to gait and speech. Thus, its perpetrators in Islam are given the Islam and Transgender (A Study of Hadith about Transgender) International Journal of Nusantara Islam Vol. 07 No. 02 2019: (185-198) DOI:10.15575/ijni.v7i2.6138 197 punishment, that is expulsion or exile. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I won't lie, it makes me sad looking at that Youtube video. If you didn't know any better, you'd think Enoch was lovely. Seems like he was indeed a great teacher. Imagine being brainwashed, basically indoctrinated and home schooled, basically kept from any normal social interaction for your whole teenage years. And indeed childhood - if they were homeschooled in primary school too - does anyone know if they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Instead of talking baloney about a subject that you obviously haven't a notion about you ,and your "holy" clerics should be hanging your heads in shame. The only good thing those holy clerics and their apologists have going for them is that there isn't a judgment day or hell for them to be consigned to.

So when you said "Soon we would have more freedom to talk in "holy oppressive catholic ireland" than we will soon have in our woke paradise that nobody seems to have been consulted on, rather just foisted upon us by our benevolent overlords and holy clergy in the media", you were just spoofing then, hoping that nobody was actually following the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You keep insisting on downplaying their extremist bigotry. Why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its mentioned in this article that he turned down medicine.

Dismissing Enoch Burke is easier than trying to understand him. So I read his books to find out more...

Sorry, wrong one. I'll look again.

(ETA) Found it. Josip actually posted it earlier. I knew i had read it recently.

Small Voices Go Unheard

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭amacca

Out of interest was there any details surrounding the third gender in native American peoples?

Were they thought of as mystics/shamans/healers, was there a specific role in that culture etc?

Advertisement