Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Still love that Omega Wibbs! 😉 Remember trying on this at the watch fair in Birmingham last year

Last time I was there the guy still had it for sale,of course well out of my price range, but didn't stop me trying it on!🙂

Anyway, It was a cold wet snowy day in Henley today

Thankfully building some automatic bridges kept me nice and warm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still love that Omega Wibbs! 😉

Oh make no mistake IP, when I'm letting it go, you are most certainly first on the list I'll be contacting. And at Mate's Rates too. 😁

Remember trying on this at the watch fair in Birmingham last year

The Omega Marine Chronometer is still in my list of "grails" for when the beer tokens build up. I suppose my only worry would be longevity and servicing. That's the unavoidable issue with vintage quartz. Especially the once mad expensive, innovative and now rare examples. My 1971 NOS Longines Ultra-Quartz is a total safe queen that I wear(delicately) a few times a year for the worry it'll die on my wrist. And I don't like that tbh. As Jay Leno, he of the huge car collection, has said of mechanical systems versus electronic systems in cars; mechanical parts fail, electronic parts degrade. And he has expressed concern about the more modern stuff in his collection. His 1930's Duesenbergs will always be fixable, his latest McLaren is on borrowed time by comparison. The singular serious advantage of mechanical watches is outside of true rarities, parts are available and very worse case scenario someone like yourself could make a part.

Really fantastic to see how you're getting on in the actual watch world IP. 🙂

And that Bell-Matic still looks bloody great. Seiko, back in the day: How many jewels do you want? Yes. 😁👍️

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ugly day out brightened up a lot just now. As beautiful as I hoped for and the size is perfect.

Lovely condition, struggling to find a blemish. Everything else about the transaction in perfect order, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭micks_address

well wear looks class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭griffin100

Been after one of these for a while. Ordered and delivered via Chrono24 in 2 days from Italy. Really happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Another great day at the Birmingham watch fair. Went up this time with a guy from work who also really enjoyed it. The guy still has that Omega Marine Chronometer, but for £2.5K it didn't make it home with me..... this time anyway!

Here's another one that might be of interest to you Wibbs 😉

Was looking for £400, wasn't working as he damaged the coil. The case has been heavily polished and the bezel wasn't great but really cool to see one!

Didn't leave empty handed either!

The closest thing to a successor to the Bell-Matics. Seiko 7223-6010 Quartz Alarm from December 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Fixed the link. Hopefully. W.

New addition a Pam 180. One of 200 made and white gold. I know I am probably in the minority here, but have a thing for Panerai (3 digit) and large watches.

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wow that's a rare bird, well wear.

Was thinking about a 190 recently, can't beat a 3 digit pam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s a wow piece .I’ve never seen that reference before .Must be serious weight in it? Is it a flat dial or tapisserie ?

Thanks Cyrus. I have been messing about with watches for over 30 years at this stage and I can truly say that this is one I bought without checking 'experts' online reviews in advance or looking at future valuation, fashion trends etc.etc. - I bought it simply because I just liked it and it has all I need in a watch - I know I am probably on my own on this one but I do like a Cyclops date window rather than not being able to read the date! Either that or I do not want a date window. I love Panerai anyway (not so much the recent stuff) which made the decision to buy this one easier, but having worn it for a while now, I know I will never sell it. I couldn't say that about many other watches I had in the past so I suppose that says everything. The 190 is a beauty and I wish you well in your purchase of same. There is just something about Panerai watch design that no other manufacturer can come close to and that's what makes them so unique and desirable in my opinion. I will never be without one (or two, or three) anyway!

• Advertisement

Thanks scwazrh.

It has a carbon fibre dial with weave effect. It is difficult to photograph and the printing on the dial appear to 'float'. It is very unusual but great to look at.

Regarding weight, it is very similar to an SD43 - I find it very comfortable to wear, but know that might not be to everyone's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Good looking Panerai there....nice

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Too big for me, but I like it noetheless. Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Very unusual for a Panerai to have applied indices as opposed to cut out or sausage dials .It actually suits it a bit better as it seems to raise the dial a bit closer to the glass.

It doesnt sound heavy when you say it weighs similar to the SD43 but thats a full bracelet on a chunky watch compared to your Panerai being mostly watch head only in weight. Nice lump of gold on the wrist .well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@kostal2093 absolutely cracking looking watch. I do enjoy your taste in Panerai. I know you mentioned the weight being on a par with an SD43, would I be right in thinking tho that with the larger watch head and a strap rather than bracelet? That it's a more comfortable weight distribution and wear?

Thanks Banie. I just weighted both watches and the SD43 is 190gr and the Pam 180 is 205gr. So there is a difference in weight alright. You are 100% correct in pointing out the larger head on the PAM and the steel vs the leather strap, but the PAM also has a large white gold deployment clasp which counterbalances the head weight making the watch very comfortable to wear and to me, wears no different to the SD43. I hope that makes some sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 happyguitar

German technology...when two hands won't get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

As mentioned on the other thread, I was in the market for a new diver.

I was still considering my options when this willard spb151 with three straps (steel/rubber/nato) became available at the right price.

Pulled the trigger on it and it arrived yesterday.

My initial thoughts are I like it but don't love it.

It's currently on the rubber strap so I might switch to steel and see how that goes.

If it doesn't work out I'll flip it, but either way I'll live with it for a while before making a call on it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

i think those cases need a lot of getting used to. I had a couple and couldn’t bond with them.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tend to agree. Turtle case style is really eye-catching and functional. I've only owned 1, a bronze TC9 that was on paper and in hand, a lovely watch but on the wrist? It just never gelled with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I have to say I hate that ungainly metal shroud or whatever you call it. Never liked it. Is there a functional reason for our?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Partially stylistic, but with function in mind too. By the late 60's watches and their faces and their movements were getting larger and since the human wrist wasn't, something had to give and lugs got shorter or basically disappeared, either by going lugless or watches became more integrated with their bracelets such as with designs like the Royal Oak. This also had functional results too. The lack of lugs meant a smoother case and less sticking out to catch on things. The Seiko looks ungainly partly because the winding crown is at 4(again to reduce something sticking out that might catch) and the crown guards don't look as symmetric as they would on say a Rolex Sub. They're also more blended into the case as part of the case, rather than a later add on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Haven't worn this for a while but always love it when I do.

The strap is a martu leather which is a nice colour march for the blued hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Time to hope for the rub of the green again.

Post edited by mailforkev on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have the same colour in a Steinhart...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hoping all goes to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Ha. We had the same thought. At close to the same minute from almost the same seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well, clearly all those lucky time pieces created some type of luck vortex that ensured success!

Go on, the lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I have this Datejust 116234 from 2006 and noticing a bit of a problem.

When I hand wind it the watch goes on until the wind discharges itself. But this happens when I'm wearing it as well. It just stops even if I've been wearing the watch for 12 hours straight.

It seems like the automatic part of the movement is not working (maybe the rotor?). Does this sound right?

The watch is till under warranty but it woiuld mean shipping it back to Germany. If it were a cheapish fix here I might be better off just getting it done in Ireland.

Any thoughts or insights/advice very welcome.

FdP

• Advertisement

I picked up this Seiko turtle f om chrono 24.. really happy with it for the price.. ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal.. punches above it's price (at least what I paid for it)

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/prospex/srpf77

Advertisement