Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Ecmwf, GFS, ICON, and Arpege all shown it tracking Futher north on the recent runs and could well see a slight shift northwards again on the morning runs. This is the reason no orange warning has been issued yet but will be for places after tomorrow mornings runs.

Met Éireann and the local authorities are due to meet in the morning for a briefing and update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There will be nothing more annoying than having trouble getting home from work, whatever about getting in there. Roll on the morning runs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If the GFS 18z is correct we are losing on decent snow cover quickly as the low pressure is tracking north on every run today. Bulk of the snow back in Northern Ireland once again, I hope this is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Snowing steadily now - Co.Down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've had them after too many pints the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well sleety rain in Cork and probably more rain than sleet. Best of luck further north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROMES track of snowfall, showing a lot of total precipitation especially in the East,Windy on coastal areas and blustery overland, E and SE getting a lick of the blustery wind later also.

Freezing in places early evening and very cold overnight into Fri morning. Big wind chill tomorrow.

Judging by the projected wind speeds wouldn't be surprised of seeing pics and hearing reports of snow drifting a bit, no beast but could easily get a foot or more up against the side of the house and such like in places, especially in more hilly terrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am just stepping back in, day trip took me away from internet (shock and horror), so will update my thoughts in general by midnight I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

How are we looking for coastal north Wicklow? I have no idea how to read any of your charts ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful Halo around the Moon tonight with some high cirrus cloud here in Castlebar. Cool in an Easterly wind . Even Belmullet down to just 1 degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

There'll be a lot of rain at the start of this with temperatures a few degrees above zero. It will probably turn more snowy later as cold air digs in behind.

Not a lot of change in my assessment after studying the latest obs and guidance ... low was recently located very close to 50N 20W heading almost due east ... key will be set-up of arctic front dividing transitional (sleety) zone south from cold enough for all snow zone north. That feature currently appears to lie around north Clare to Meath; Mullingar is just on the north side of it now. It may try to drift north despite the track of the low, but is probably constrained from going much north of Galway Bay to Louth. As precip gets heavier 09z-15z evaporational cooling will force the front to drift south to a line from central Clare to north Dublin. It will accelerate south once the low is past 5W.

Precip shields often materialize slightly further north than model guidance which probably ensures significant snow for Donegal and northern tier of NI counties but axis of heaviest snow is likely to be something like Tuam (yes really) to Armagh. Those posters high up in Mayo should do very well. Pauldry in Sligo may find he's in a bit of a subsidence minimum zone but it should still be 10-12 cm there (downsloping from higher terrain northeast). In general you'll perhaps notice minor differentials depending on whether your local terrain is rising or falling from northeast to southwest.

Thunder-snow seems likely at times with these strong dynamics. Would say 1500-2100h most favorable (perhaps later for Dublin though).

Will stick with my numbers although where I said 15-25, 12-20 might be more realistic. Eventually I think it will snow just about everywhere in Ireland on the wrap around portion early Friday. Note the worst of the storm in south Ulster is predicted to be midnight to 0300h Friday.

A lot of specific interest in Dublin so would say, intervals of sleety rain sometimes mixing with wet snow, accumulations on higher slopes to south of city, temps 2-5 C then slowly falling after 8 p.m., snow becoming dominant by 10 p.m. to midnight, 5-8 cm accumulations possible overnight, more if Irish Sea banding becomes significant. 15-20 cm on higher portions of Dublin-Wicklow mountains. Kildare maybe about 5 cm in total.

I will probably be around throughout the buildup and delivery of this event, will post forecasts and any updates in my forecast thread and just read here unless I feel there's something missing (so far I think the discussion has been excellent and covers all variables -- this does have some low-side bust potential due to marginal 850s and thicknesses but I am counting on evaporational cooling to overcome the handicap).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF 18Z , still showing it to go up to 10 c in the SW, S tomorrow while it is snowing in the midlands and W but the European keeping it much cooler ( will let ye know tomorrow 😀 )

ARPEGE windier also. Very cold on the commute Fri morning, freezing after 09.00 in many places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Kildare maybe about 5 cm in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I see some charts even giving accumulations on the aran islands! Amazing how much a strong easterly can shut off the effects of the Atlantic.

M6 buoy at 15W has been reporting temps near 7 C and dew points near -1 C showing that the cold air is flowing out into the circulation, as to the inland penetration of 8-10 C temps, this seems unlikely to go much past Waterville to Cork (city) to Waterford (city) to about Gorey on east coast. A zone of about 4-8 C will likely sit north of that line most of the day, to south Clare - south Kildare then it would loop around the mountains and emerge to cover the east coast to about Bray. A zone of 2-4 C would sit from there to the arctic frontal boundary north of which, mostly snow and 0-1 C (-1 C on hills).

Something not mentioned as far as I noticed was flood potential on Sunday after this snow melts and combines with rain on Sat--Sun and higher water tables in some cases from Thursday rainfall too. It may be minor, but worth keeping in mind where snow melt is rapid.

Ha! it gets better, did see the UKMO show heavy precipitation over towards Leinster and along the east coast also, good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Speaking of Tuam, where is our friend from Tuam these days? I also thought this event might lure back Blackbriar/George Sunsnow.

• Advertisement

So 12cm in Sligo MT? That'd be great. I fear the 12cm will be in Ballymote Tubber and South Sligo. 5 or 6cm may be possible here in Sligo town.

Also would prefer it wasn't during day. As more sleet may result.

Is this arriving earlier than planned?

At midnight -4 to -6 in parts of west Ulster. 4c in south western coastal fringes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

I'm not far from Tuam at the moment, around 6/7 miles NNW. 1.5 degrees right now where I am and no precipitation so far.

Never thought I'd see the day Tuam get mentioned in one of MT's snow forecasts...especially as the axis of power:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Light rain Galway City. Might be sleet, don't know but it's fairly light.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

1.5C in mid-Limerick, raining.

Could be a sign it’s headed further North than forecast

A lot of rain about at the moment none of it very heavy. Some sleet and a little snow. Could be a lot of disappointment in parts by tomorrow. Hopefully the Arctic air digs in. Its v v cold in Sligo but moon still glowing.

Will it all be a damp quib?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Snowing lightly here in mid Clare at 150m asl since midnight. Starting to settle now that the heavier precip has moved in. Air temp 1.6c. Dew point -1c.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement