Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put them back in their box. The Scotland v Ireland build up thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Triple Crown showdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I'd rather we beat the shite out of those yellow bellies with their fake Scottish anthem than win a rugby World Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caoly123

The Scots are the best bunch of thinking they are world beaters .they do some talking for winning **** all .I think Ireland will do them in

Can't agree with most of what's been said so far.

Scottish rugby has been in the toilet since the turn of the century. They won the last 5 nations due to England and Wales result going their way, and haven't won it since, with a couple of wooden spoons thrown in the mix. Have they even come 2nd since then? I don't get this "they think they're the bees knees" stuff, haven't seen/heard much of it at all, either online or in person.

I think we'll beat them, and beat them well. 10-14pts is my prediction. (Gonna back France -3 and Italy as well, I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wouldn't be dumping on Scotland. They've improved. A blown overlap by Hogg last year and Hogg dropping the pill over the tryline the year before. Hogg doesn't flip his wig at those times.... who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thankfully Hogg is still playing, so we can count on his stalwart defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

The Scotch should never be forgiven for not voting for us for the 2023 world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its definitely overblown but i do also remember thinking hogg came across as a bit arrogant in some of his press conferences as captain, when they had generally flattered to deceive

i also think alot of the media bigging them up is actually coming from outside scotland

They could not even vote for their own bloody freedom!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Now is not the time for reasoned well balanced fair opinions. This is a prematch thread, get your generalising exageration hat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Little bit nervous about this one but I do wonder are Scotland flattering to deceive. Whilst they have looked good in the set piece, they look like a team who can be gotten at physically in open play. I've a feeling if they were playing England this weekend they'd be beaten. Got them at the right time.

As long as we get parity at set piece I think we will have too much for them. They concede too many points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If this Irish team can comfortably beat NZ in NZ (and they were comfortable winners in the 3rd Test), then Scotland in Murray field should hold no fears.

Show them the appropriate amount of respect of course, but anything less than a win will be a very disappointing outcome on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

flattering to deceive is spot on. i think theyve benefitted so far from the fact that ireland are the only team playing consistently well at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

We have the beating of Scotland and even at their best they're not really a threat unless we gift them a score or blow a scoring chances ourselves.

This is Scotland in Edinburg so they'll have home advantage but they a step or two behind where Ireland are at the moment so a win for them will be a big surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

When is the team announcement?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

https://youtu.be/sKiLfH3DVGc

Being Scottish and thinking you're gonna beat this Irish team?

Oh, you better believe that's a paddlin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Scotland by 8. Unfortunately we will have to play a good chunk of the game with 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’m not sure, our discipline under Farrell, especially as it pertains to cards, has generally been very good.

Always possible a player slightly misjudges something, tho.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think this is the game everything clicks for Scotland and it will be a one score game decided on the last 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

With finn russell playing there isnt a hope everything clicks, he is as likely to spectacularly give away a try as he is create one.

Its comical how his mistakes in games get completely overlooked. They will replay his 50:22 against france all day but not the simple pass to ramos that put france under the posts.

As long as finn keeps executing the sublime with the terrible scotland and racing will win nawthing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Scotland are like a better Italy. Not a great matchup for Ireland. They will create try scoring opportunities. Usually Scotland ends up butchering most of them but this weekend everyone will have cold hands which evens things out

Will the players used to heated swimming pools in Donnybrook be able to compete with the men who's national flower is the thistle in an arctic blast in Edinburgh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Hopefully we get our A game on and BP them so they concentrate on beating SA later in the year....

If we're really on a trajectory the aim has to be a convincing win. Close to 60 mins and +10 by the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think the Russell detractors will be put back in their box and if we keep leaving holes in midfield theirs will have a field day. Hansen will need to be at his defensive best; any half-hearted back-tracking will be punished. The same goes for VDM, could be a fascinating match up.

If Ringrose and Henshaw are both there a good portion of Scotland's attack should be nullified. Cold, wet weather could see an increased number of scrums and we won't get any change there. Hope Porter goes well.

Sure nobody in ireland ever played rugby in the cold

Didn't realise Townsend has never beaten Ireland as Scotland coach, played 7 lost 7.

Has the team not been leaked this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think we will follow the Leinster blueprint and Russell will be about as effective as he was in Le Harvre. 1 step above useless. Ireland by 10.

Post edited by stephen_n on

Advertisement