Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Just to be clear. Are you saying the Irish government did not sign up to the agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again, I was correcting what you claimed. I said nothing about what 'was in an agreement'. It wasn't an 'agreement' for starters, it was a British government Bill and Act.

You claimed something and you were wrong.

’my community’ certainly were not all sitting around a table to hear nuances of discussions. 

Your community was sufficiently aufait with what was going on to engage in pogroms and violence which displaced many and resulted in 100's of deaths.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@downcow

In the language of the time, British referred to the British Empire. The term United Kingdom was never used on its own and it was too long winded to refer to it as 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland.

It was after the independence of India in 1947 that the British Empire ceased to exist and morphed into the Commonwealth of Nations - referred to as 'the Commonwealth'.

Oh dear francie. You really need to have a broader reflection.

Well everyone can read that post for themselves. If I had been you writing it, I would have made it much shorter. Something like ‘ok I now realise the Uk existed in 1921’. That would have been enough. But I think your post means the same.

….and I apologise for stating the obvious, but my post contains a quote from the day that the term Uk was used on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What sort of compromises have/ are nationalists/ republicans offering Francie?

All I mostly hear down south, when people actually bother to think about it, is that unionists may 'like it or lump it' and if they don't lump it, then they can feck off back across the Irish Sea from whence they came. That's about the level of it.

And you can't blame us really, as poisoned by decades of 'Christian Brother' history.

You aren't listening carefully enough.

As regards 'agreements' we were discussing. Equality and parity of esteem legislation and legislation on the Irish language was agreed at St. Andrews among all those party's present. They all signed that agreement including the DUP.

The DUP blocked that legislation as best they could until the British government were forced to honour their committments to the St. Andrew's Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe you need to spend a day in Downcow's shoes?

I wonder what would be left of the British heritage where I live if I walked in downcow's shoes TBH.

If I got flamed by something as natural as the native language of my place then there would be a plethora of relics of the British presence to be removed.

The British are part of my heritage as are those who identify as British as are those of any identity that have made this place their home.

• Advertisement

I think you are wrong again francie. I am only 99% sure, but I understand there was not Irish language agreed in the St Andrew’s agreement that the dup signed. Will you retract your claim and agree or do we need to dig deeper on this as well to find the facts?

From the Agreement document itself:

The Government will introduce an Irish Language Act reflecting on the experience of Wales and Ireland and work with the incoming Executive to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language

Microsoft Word - SAA TEXT July09L _2_.DOC (publishing.service.gov.uk)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where exactly are you getting your information because you seem completely ignorant of basic facts that are quite easy to verify?

Honestly, inform yourself!

Probably referring to the fact that the DUP attempted to welch on the Agreement they all signed by claiming they didn't agree to the Irish language bit.

Familiar stunt politics from the DUP.

Francie is hinting that you might be wrong. I guess he has checked his facts since he last posted and has discovered I am correct again. I am only operating from memory, hence I am saying I am not absolutely sure but I will see can I get evidence. Now let’s not fudge this going forward. What I am saying is that I believe the dup did not sign a St. Andrews agree that contained a commitment to an Irish language act.

I believe we will discover that what the parties signed did not contain the Irish language bit. I believe the shinners discovered their big error afterwards and got the two governments to commit to Irish language stuff retrospectively. Hence I believe the dup did not renege on an Irish commitment in the St. Andrews, which is what francie was claiming. That may seem like a big claim to you but we will see.

Just a wee quick question to the chatGBT AI and this is the response.

can you give me the actual text in the St. Andrews agreement referring to an Irish language act?

here’s its answer:

The relevant paragraph reads:

“The Government firmly believes that devolution will provide a stable environment for further progress on equality issues. It will work with all parties to ensure that this happens. In particular, it will work with the incoming Executive to protect and enhance the development of both British and Irish cultural identities including support for their languages.

As you can see, the agreement did not specify any details or mechanisms for implementing an ILA. It only expressed a general intention to work with the incoming Executive on this issue.”

I am interested in how we receive such different news.

just in the last page we have discovered that some southerners think:

there was no UK in 1921

the dup signed up to an ILA in the St. Andrews agreement

the Irish government did not agree to the partition of Ireland (and also thought it would be temporary)

This is just a re-iteration of the DUP's excuses made after signing the SAA.

They did their usual thing and tried to winkle out of what they signed.

Big strategy fail again as it came back to bite them in the ass when the British government lived up to their agreement.

Disingenuous posting again.

The DUP signed the SAA which had a commitment to an Irish Language act and tried to winkle out of that after. Sound like familiar behaviour...it is.

And nobody said the Irish government did not accept the Treaty. We were discussing the Government of Ireland Bill and Act.

It's there in Annex 2. (quoted earlier)

Honestly, if you are depending on a chat bot for your facts, I think we are done here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That must be where he gets his own alternative facts from - explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I assume the UK government is an acceptable source? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-st-andrews-agreement-october-2006

The St Andrews Agreement, October 2006 (The Agreement): Agreement reached in multi-party negotiations held in St Andrews in Fife, Scotland, from 11 October to 13 October 2006, between the two governments and all the major parties in Northern Ireland, including the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) and Sinn Féin.

And from the text of the linked agreement:

The Government will introduce an Irish Language Act reflecting on the experience of Wales and Ireland and work with the incoming Executive to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I posted that earlier, but apparently a chat bot is a more reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The UK certainly did exist in 1922; as downcow points out, it had existed since 1801 as "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". What happened in 1922 is that it split apart into two states, one of which ("the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther Ireland") was (and still is) accepted internationally as the successor state to the UK of GB & I.

There was a widespread expectation in 1922 that partition would not be permanent. The border was certainly not to be permanent; the Treaty included a provision to establish a boundary commission to redraw the border "in accordance with the wishes of the inhabitants" . As three, and possibly four, out of the six counties of NI had a nationalist majority, it was widely expected that the redrawn border would result in a "rump" NI which would be simply too small to be economically or politically viable. This wasn't an expectation cherished just by nationalists; the government of NI refused to co-operate with the boundary commission in an attempt to frustrate the redrawing of the border, because they feared precisely this outcome.

In the event, this isn't what happened, of course, but we are concerned here with what people expected in 1922. They did expect, at a minimum, that a significant part of NI would be transferred to the Free State, and that this might well lead in the long term to the end of partition.

Very clear post. I agree with it all except I may disagree about what ‘they ‘ means. If you are suggesting the grassroots unionist community were expected to be forced out of the Uk in the coming years then I would question that. The community had just managed to face down an major attempt to end the Uk membership - surely they would be of the opposite opinion ie feeling fairly confident about the creation of ni with a strong majority who wanted to remain

Just saying it over and over again and having more numbers of posters doesn’t make you correct. Also your purpose in saying ‘more disingenuous posting’ should be clear to all!

This issue began from you saying that the dup had reneged on the SAA.

Annex 1 of The St Andrews Agreement was a letter from Tony Blair to Bertie Ahern on 13 October 2006. Annex 2 was a letter from Bertie Ahern to Tony Blair on 13 October 2006. Both letters were about their respective governments’ commitments on various issues related to Northern Ireland. The agreement did not give specific reference to these annexes.

I know you don’t like the chatbot offering his opinion on this matter, but here is my exchange with him - maybe he’s been bribed by Jamie Anyhow he is stating exactly what I understood, ie the dup did not renege on a commitment re ila

“Annex 1 was a letter from Tony Blair to Bertie Ahern, and Annex 2 was a letter from Bertie Ahern to Tony Blair. Both of these letters outlined the commitments that each government had made regarding various issues related to Northern Ireland. Despite their importance, the St Andrews Agreement did not specifically reference these annexes..

Q Were these commitments made by the political parties or just the governments?

(Bot) The commitments outlined in Annex 1 and Annex 2 of the St Andrews Agreement were made by the respective governments of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, rather than the political parties. The St Andrews Agreement was signed by the political parties in Northern Ireland and the governments of the UK and the Republic of Ireland, but the commitments outlined in the annexes were made solely by the governments.

Q Is it an indisputable fact the these two annex’s were not referenced on the agreement which the parties signed?

(Bot) Yes, it is an indisputable fact that the St Andrews Agreement, signed on 13 October 2006, did not specifically reference Annex 1 and Annex 2. While the agreement itself was signed by the political parties in Northern Ireland, as well as the governments of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, it did not make any specific reference to the two Annex’s.

No, they didn't in fact feel confident. They immediately set about changing the voting system and gerymandering boundaries to bolster their artificially created state. EG. The Derry constituency was extended to include a protestant unionist area to ensure a Unionist majority. Other examples include splitting a Catholic housing area into two different constituencies. Here is Craig expressing the 'fears' of his 'community'.

What I have been afraid of under the proportional representation system was that certain members might be returned to the House who in a crisis upon the one point of vital importance to the Ulster people, might not stand on which side it was intended they should stand when elected (Bell, 1976, p. 101). 

I think we need to agree to differ on that one. We have done it to death. Your post says zero to me about my community thinking we were only going to stay a few more years in Uk

Firstly, apologies. It was Annex B I was referencing not 2.

I don't understand why you just don't read the actual signed agreement. That is the 'disingenuous' aspect to this. It's is all there in the document.

And it is why the British government was compelled to act when Unionists AGAIN blocked what had been agreed as far back as the GFA.

Following Executive failure to progress the legislation through the Northern Ireland Assembly, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland committed to bringing the legislation through Parliament, which will be delivered today.

In addition to the legislation, the UK Government has also announced the delivery of two of its own New Decade, New Approach commitments.

The Government is officially giving recognition to Ulster Scots as a National Minority under the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities, a status already accorded to Irish, Welsh and Scots, and since 2014, Cornish, among others.

The Government will also provide £4 million to An Ciste Infheistíochta Gaeilge, the Irish Language Investment Fund.

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Brandon Lewis said:

“The introduction of this Bill represents a significant milestone, not just in the continued delivery of New Decade, New Approach, but in laying down a new cultural framework for the people of Northern Ireland.

“This legislation is carefully balanced, as negotiated by all parties, to ensure everyone in Northern Ireland benefits.

“Not only will the legislation faithfully deliver on the measures within New Decade, New Approach, it will also, importantly, ensure the principles of respect and tolerance, as stated in the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement, continue to be realised.”

• Advertisement

No, we won't 'agree' anything. You are wrong, the Unionist community was so fearful they altered the voting system and constituencies to maintain their Union - the

'one point of vital importance to the Ulster people'

Fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement