Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual sub 2023

Options
  • 23-02-2023 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has nearly everyone's increased for 2023 due to increased costs of maintenance, etc

Mine has gone from €850 to €960

Feel free to list your own clubs fee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

My club went up €40.I felt this was very reasonable in light of how everything else has increased in recent months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Interestingly, for a private club I'd be of the opinion that the market essentially sets the price, but for a members one the members share the costs. So subs for a private club should be based on what the owners can get the members to pay whereas for a members club they should be set based on the revenue the club needs.

But in reality, while members own a club, many don't think of it this way. And the members clubs are in competition with the private ones.

Anyway, ours is a rolling membership. I think it has increased from 325 to 345 since I last paid. That's a pay and play option, I pay another 20e per round or so. So for last year I paid about €65 per round. They did well out of me. The real comment on the change to the members though is that they have allocated most of Saturday to visitors / societies. The last members time to book on a Saturday is 9:20 I think. After that it's blocked off for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

My local sub went up €200 but it's offset by €100 of this being a bar/food set aside as a mandatory subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Up €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Up €500. Offset €250 spent anywhere on club, food drink, pro shop etc. On loyalty card which entitles one to 10% off all spend, not confined to to the €250. Pretty steep but was under priced for a good while, so no real surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

I think mine stayed the same at 650 and they are doing an offer to new members of 1000 for 2023 & 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Sub has stayed the same for now . Egm tried to increase across all areas...subs levys, insurances, lockers etc .......Heavily defeated...

Entrance levy introduced at subsequent Agm. €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

Paid €2176 for 2022

Paid €2976 for 2023 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Ours stayed the same at 950. Our Finance Director does trojan work keeping the costs under control though, despite a big investment programme over the last couple years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ours stayed the same but Entrance Fee for new members went up 50%. The club is already way oversubscribed with members and even with that there is a huge waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Our sub went from 1070 to 1220.

Just enough of an increase to make me realise that I cannot justify the expense or the time anymore especially now with 2 little nippers.

Will just play society golf and a few opens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Our place has nearly doubled this year (tbf, its only €400 to €790, so still cheap), and they've also apparently said it'll double again next year.

Not sure i'll be renewing this year. Pain in the hole having to drive an hour each way, and with saving for a mortgage, i may just stick to society golf this year. Then join Waterville next year if i can afford it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

is the mortgage for Waterville?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What the Jaysis is that increase about? Especially back-to-back years..

That’s gouging - even without looking into it with context

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

€790 is expensive for that course. hardly playable for 6/7 months of the yr.

heard they planned on doubling again for next yr. won't be left with many members

Yeah, its a mad jump. New owners apparently had said nothing would change, clearly that was a lie.

I know a lot of the members have it as their 2nd club, so i expect a mass exodus by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

€200 increase but the bar levy was reduced by €50

It's becoming very pricy but very hard to think of leaving a club that is 3 minutes away

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Ronney

Out of curiosity do you know what is the cost for Waterville? I would have thought it would be closer to Dublin prices at €2000+

Is there hello money/difficulty to get in?

Last i heard the annual sub is around €800, and the joining fee is €10.5k. May have gone up since i talked to that member (early last year).

Joining fee can be spread over 3 years apparently (not sure if that's a local only thing).

If you're living local and going playing there long term it's probably a decent investment for a course of that quality

Yeah, i'll join if/when we buy down here. Its a cracking course, and having it 4 mins away would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭GolfPar

Portmarnock Links gone up to €3,500 and they have development work going on at the moment. Very steep for a course that accommodates a lot of green fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Last time I remember golf clubs charging extortionate joining and membership fees was in the dying days of the Celtic Tiger.

We all know what happened next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Ronney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm lucky to be on an intermediate membership in Headfort so the cost is reasonable considering the quality and that there are 2 courses on site. Even though fees did increase this year by 100 ish.

Having said that, when the intermediate membership runs out and I need to pay full price I can see there maybe better value in 5 day memberships elsewhere. Or society golf for the year instead.

Advertisement