Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A miserable morning here in Meath, mostly cold rain but the odd flake mixed in with it.

The Irish sea works against us every time there is a frontal event from the Atlantic, now if that didn't exist and we were land locked with Wales/England, everything would have fallen as snow since last night.

The Irish sea is useful only once per decade when it comes to bringing in snow streamers but I'd gladly give it away to make events like today much more successful plus the added bonus of higher temperatures and no onshore breezes during fine weather in late Spring and Summer.

Back to the current situation and the sleety rain has become very light indeed. IF we do see snow later on I hope the precipitation is somewhat heavier than what I've seen so far this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not seeing why an orange is needed down parts of the east & south east. At elevations possibly yeah but lower levels, still don't see it happening.

Ground temps have been too high along with the amount of rain falling, I just don't see it still personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Dublin added into a orange warning too yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

under an orange warning for cold rain...gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They're a bit all over the shop in MetÉ with the frequent warning changes.

However, it is promising to see the Orange extended to Dublin.

Here on the Dublin-Meath-Kildare tri-border, a light cold rain is falling and its 2C.

• Advertisement

Think that could cause some disappointment for some.

Will gladly eat my words tomorrow but think ME might have jumped the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

West Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow should do well tonight.

Higher elevations yes, think the distinction should be made though instead of a blanket warning

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Thundersnow: https://youtu.be/PdRWGMyeSYY

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

15cm of snow dropped on us here on the hills just west of Ennis in Clare.

Precip looks to be turning more to sleety rain now though. Back to snow later this evening i'd imagine.

Wonder if the rain will impact whats on the ground......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Possibly more for the potential to freeze over the wet, 'twould be treacherous.

3° & sleety rain the last 1.5 hours here in Ashbourne, pure muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely bucketing rain in Cork City, similar to the type of rain that falls during a thunderstorm. Hopefully turns to snow as it moves up the country for ye, blizzards? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Worth repeating a few times today re: one common myth...

The ground does not need to be *dry* for snow to stick. The ground can't be 'too wet' to stick. Snow will stick to wet ground, it just has to become cold enough. In fact I have watched it accumulate on very wet ground and slowly engulf puddles and surface water. Time, time and time. Ground is gonna be warm and will take some prolonged snow to get it cooled down. Grasses and that cools a lot quicker so snow will start to pile up there. Could be the case though the your snowfall doesn't last long enough to cool the ground so coverings would be at best patchy anyway.

Will wait patiently for the wrap around later and hopefully we get a transition in Dublin. Looking at radar the front might even pass us soon enough. But being Dublin, not too much hope.

Thought the radars have been diabolical since last night. What is up with all the sharp edges, spirals, and patchiness since last night. None of the front looks correct over the midlands. Parts of the front are moving into each other at times, if that makes sense. With the different colour coding on the Netweather version some of these issues are more prominent. I get funding etc. can be an issue but it can be grand one day and terrible the next. It's pretty frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Even though the temperature has only risen slightly to 0.5 there seems to be a bit of a thaw.

The snow has slid off the car and it's melting in my WS rain gauge

Snow has stopped atm - near Roscrea

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow is fairly heavy now and still not sticking. So maybe what I said earlier is wrong!

With this in mind I can't see anywhere near 10 to 20 cm settling on lower ground now, perhaps on hiller terrain in Connacht and Ulster it will . I remember back in 2010 M. T. Cranium mentioned how with the sudden and sharp temperature drop in temperature on the evening of the 16th of December snow would readily stick to the saturated ground. I had never seen anything like it before. It proved to me the difference between 0 to 2 C is huge when it comes to snow settling on wet ground. Granted a higher ground temperature does not help matter either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think there afraid of back lash from the public

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The February 1991 event started off as heavy rain here in Meath. I remember big puddles on the roads as I was being driven to school that morning. I remember snow being forecast but dissapointed as it was just raining. About half way through the school morning the rain became very light, place was saturated. About 30 minutes before 'big break' these massive snow flakes started falling and within 2 minutes the ground was white, The wet flakes soon became dry power and within half an hour the School had to close and we were sent home early around the time lunch would normally start and we were off school for at least a week.

It doesn't matter how wet the ground is, if it's cold enough and the snow is heavy enough it will stick easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heaviest snow I have seen in Galway for a very long time roads getting bad now, well done to all on here who called this out last week pity ME would not take it as serious as ye guys and I think Carlow Weather on the Joe Duffy show put the skates on them to come out with a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There was about 10cm on the ground in west/mid-Clare this morning from what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The best we can hope for is a repeat of Feb 27 2001 when it rained all day and then turned to heavy snow in the evening as a low moved into the Irish Sea dragging colder air down over the east coast.

That ‘ground too wet for snow to stick’ argument is nonsense by the way, snow will stick immediately if the air temperature drops to 0c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow morning will be treacherous whether rain, sleet or snow falls, after the freeze.

After dark this event will really kick off - looks like snow will appreciate for many apart from some coastal fringes and windward coasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Upgraded again . It seems everywhere is orange except Kerry, Limerick, Cork & Waterford 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

A sleety mix up to late afternoon for most areas and then a likely transition back to snow for a couple of hours this evening before the system pulls away east.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭highdef

The icing sugar coating at 100m ASL in Longford is almost all completely melted but I do expect a big turnaround later in the afternoon. I may head down there at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Met E called it exactly as it is playing out,the forecast last night warned of treacherous driving conditions in some places,because of the nature and complexity of this system it was impossible call exactly where these regions would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Lying snow in Ballyduff, North Kerry this morning. Kids are delighted as its so rare down here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah i remember that, but taught it was january myself, anyway i was in secondary school, we played a gaa match at 11am and it was miserable, driving heavy rain, by 1pm it had changed to snow and by 4pm the bus nearly couldnt get us home, took over an hour for a 25min journey, good adventure though 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sent home early that day in Cork too! Happy, happy memories. Same in Jan 87, we went in on Monday after snow on Sunday but only about 20% of kids were in so we were sent home for the week. Memories you never forget....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I should say the hi res harmonie model ME rely on does support orange for many from about 5pm. In fact east Galway looks the epicentre and that snow does exit into the Irish sea via Dublin. Dublin looks in the firing line on particular from 8pm to 10pm. We might even see a flake down here from 10pm to 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

A sleety mix has now arrived. Temp 0.6c. dew point has risen a tad to minus 0.2. Would expect a top up of what's fallen so far later today. 150m asl, Clare.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement