Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The banks predict a drop of 10-15% in worst case scenario…where does that bring us? Housing prices back to pre-Covid levels.

it is likely that a drop like this will happen with rising rates but it’s more than likely translates to a 10-15% drop in real terms than nominal terms.

People expecting a drop in prices to 2012 prices are delusional.

Just watched the news and saw they are talking about reducing CGT on second properties…:what does that achieve? It doesn’t increase the housing stock it just ends up moving pain points from one group to another….Would they stop creating problems and just build.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

Well I'm living in Brussels. And I don't see the same here... Plenty available to rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Similarly, in other European capitals, plenty to rent.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

The government are paralysed now - emergency measures are needed, but instead they're afraid to do anything more than make minor insignificant changes.

The biggest hindrance now is recruiting construction workers - because they've nowhere to live. Like anyone else - they don't want to move around because of the rental mess. Its also massively adding to labor costs because a builder (rightly) isn't going to absorb the cost of either crazy rent or a long commute.

We were well able to pull out every stop to find accommodation for refugees when faced with it. The same should be done in the national interest for construction workers, its an emergency and it isn't being treated like one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

That is to stop small landlords selling up and to attract some new ones to invest presumably. But it won't, because they are talking about it only applying when selling to existing tenant or LA or housing bodies etc. No-one can rely on any of those being options when they sell up, so it isn't going to make anyone invest/stay invested.

It's just politics, talking about giving something to various groups, when they are doing nothing in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Apologies if it's been posted already

What is the real story here? Seems odd that the person wouldn't be in court for the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It does look very odd, I wonder how accurate the claim is. I was under the impression that it takes years, and only gets to court after extensive efforts are made by the lender to engage with the mortgage holder about the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

There's no reports / graphs on there, but the price register section shows sale price & asking price. Somewhat useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Two downsides weighted 40% total and one upside rated 15%. Quelle surprise, the central tendency 45% which appears not to be central has a residential growth of 0%.

Really strange looking statistics....

• Advertisement

Great link. Looks like it's hitting a ceiling to me. Maybe it'll burst through or maybe not... I'm leaning towards not.

Upside is a quick recovery with a probability of 15%

bad case is what they expect with a probability rating of 45%

downside 1 will be lower than expected growth that is predicted in base case with a probability of 25%

and downside 2 will be energy shock gets worse and inflation goes higher with a probability of 15%

what is interesting is when you look at their assessment of Irish v UK house prices…AIB results published today show in the worse case scenario property prices to fall 8% in Ireland compared to a fall of 14% in the UK

The bad case as you name it is what they call the central case. Why not two upsides with similar components?

It says to me that the central case is not central meaning the real central is negative, caveat I don't know their methodology and could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If they just blindly reduce CGT it would surely incentivise people to cash out now.

If they wanted to keep people in they'd raise it (perhaps with a stated intention to reduce it at some point in the future)

Because it’s used to model the losses for a bank so they are more interested in downside risk…it’s also normally a harsher assessment compared to imf, central bank etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In fairness, all the talk in this thread from the outbreak of the war in Ukraine right into the summer was predictions of a significant downturn with serious property price falls to start registering on the Residential Property Price Index from the winter onwards. It was going to be similar to the crash in 2008. Are we saying it will just be a 5% fall now?

There was a lot of discussion about how the property market was actually in some sort of a freefall from the autumn onwards, but that it wasn't being picked up in the CSO figures as they were 6 months behind what was happening on the ground.

We should have the March figures for the Residential Property Price Index over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Ireland was the only area in the EU to show an increase in demand for mortgages in the final quarter of 22.

Rush to fixed rate perhaps, while still available at decent rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like crippling inflation is feeding into planned state infrastructure projects now too:

"School patron bodies have said they are "bitterly disappointed" by a Department of Education decision to put on hold the construction of 58 new school buildings across the country."

A total of €860m has been allocated for school building projects for this year. In 2022 €792m was initially allocated but that was later augmented by an additional circa €300m, bringing the total for 2022 to €1.12m.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0309/1361112-school-constructions/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Sound bite politicians. That's all I see anymore create sound bites that give the illusions they are changing and doing good. The age old saying watch what they do not what they say - this can be said for government and the main western central banks who have made an absolute shambles of the inflation situation. They have lost all credibility with their forecasts and assumptions and are quickly losing the people too which is worse than the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think you're missing the point a bit? A central case can be 'negative', even a positive case can be 'negative' if the overall outlook is bad. The central case is just what they consider to be the most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think that was more wishful thinking than anything else. We've had nearly ten years of solid growth, and it's making things simply too expensive for a lot of people. Personally, and not to be facetious, I'd take my chances in a crash over the continuation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have had ten years of growth off an artificial low. The low caused a situation where we had very few houses build for 6-7 years. The first 3 years of that growth was in Dublin only and the next two years only larger urban centres benefited

In the last five years our population has grown by 10% and that is ignoring the Ukrainian refugees. Dublin suffers from a massive shortage of construction labour. 50% of that workforce travels in and out of Dublin every day and needs a premium over what they would earn local to them.

Travel costs have further exasperated that along with carbon taxes adding to construction costs. There is no magic bullet. Unless the price of construction of new houses drops substantially ( which no one can see) it would take circumstances that would cause significant structural issues in this country's to drop prices by more than 10-15%

There are some posters that think shafting certain sections of society will cause a situation where prices will drop significantly. They would quite willing shaft the rental market, the Ukrainian refugees, refugee's in general, older people who have bought and paid for there houses years ago etc to achieve a short term price collapse with no consideration of medium or long term problem that would arise.

Slava Ukrainii

This is Ireland, hazard a guess what might happen if such a scheme was introduced.

Landlord keeps property empty while sussing out tenants that may have an interest and capacity to buy in a supply starved market

Sell to tennant after a period of rental. Cgt gain is split at pre agreed level.

Result: increase void period of rentals.

increase short term let's until landlord finds appropriate tennant to pull off the CGT gain.

Reduce rental stock.

Create an incentive for long term professional indegenious landlords to exit the market having built up a significant capital gain on his/her properties

I wonder who lobbied for this particular "solution"

I accept what you say, and I don't really disagree. However, let's imagine that the growth continues unabated. What will happen then? If there is a crash, a lot of people will lose out, but if things carry on as they are, so too will many others. You mention older people who have bought and paid for their houses, but what about younger generations who cannot even acquire a house?

Regarding what you say about the growth being on top of an artificial low, could one not equally say that the Celtic Tiger was an artificial high? It was made possible largely though an abundance of credit. Indeed, the growth that has come in the 2010s was largely through the "printing" of fiat money, and that went nuclear during the lockdowns.

As I see it, the current chasing of constant growth is not going to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Does anyone really put any faith in bank forecasts though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well then they will be hitting the wall. At some point they are going to have to cut their profit margins a lot thinner. Construction output is down over 20% over the last 2 years and this will continue as people who were going to be getting work done this year or next will be locked out of lending with the higher and higher interest rates. So the question will be who last longer a person who may or may not need work done or a builder who needs to work to pay the bills

They may have hit artificial low but it would be intresting to know how far from the long term average they fell when you consider what was done to stop them falling further:

Full bailout of the entire banking system.

Bankruptcy of the state with national debt going from miniscule to one of the highest in the world on per capita basis including the complete draining of the pension reserve fund

Repayment of mortgages made optional while you keep the utility value of the house .

Capture and control of Development land and surplus housing

Free money through 0 rates

The full power of the monetary and fiscal system up to the ECB

The cost of above being passed onto children and generations not even born.

Could you share with us who you feel will be shafted by having house prices and rents at a more affordable level. It would seem logical and sensible to have them there.

Implementing policy that blows house price bubbles seem to shaft alot more people and in particular people that bear no responsibility for creating the mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The government profiteering (substantially) off housing needs to come to an END.

Good to see the news of the potential removal of CGT in certain scenarios.

Penny might be finally dropping with these idiots.

As I see, we have entirely the wrong people in charge here. The politicians and civil servants who run the state are not trying to buy a home or find a place to live. Indeed, many of them have vested interests in pursuing policies that will exacerbate the situation as they profit from it. How many politicians are feathering their nests for nice job in the EU or as part of an NGO by pushing globalist policy that has a deleterious effect on the Irish people?

I don't really see how any of this can be resolved. All of the major politician parties have broadly similar policies, and the parties that offer anything different haven't a snowball's chance in hell of ever being elected. Beyond that, the bureaucracy of the state itself is not subject to an election. No senior civil servant is going to lose his or her job, and these people have enormous influence.

This is happening in just about every Western state. If you ask me, the West has simply had its day, and we're seeing the decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Here are a couple of simple solutions that the government could implement tomorrow:

1. massively increase property tax
    2. a multiplier on same for vacant/underused/low density property.
    3. Zero tax on building 6+ story apartment buildings inside the canals.
    4. A new “antisocial objection” fee of €5000 to be allowed to object to an infrastructure project.

Advertisement