Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

I could say the term 'georgeous'. Its headlights, day time lights, appearance, curves.

at the end of the day, after heating or air conditioning, Bz4x gives 300km range on a full charge and if there is home night charging option, it is okay for a family or those who commute for work everyday. With that price 50k euros, that much is the range. If tesla or ionique 5 has more range, it has more price.

But for a taxi driver or delivery driver, I would say there should be a 100KW battery, 72kwh battery in bz4x is not enough. For instance on a saturday or Sunday, I drive around 250km. On icy cold days, thee are more deliveries, around 300km.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Look I think you're after swallowing the info fed to you by Toyota and no one will change your mind.

The Ioniq 5 is around €49K now and the Tesla is around €48K. Both have better range and are more efficient.

A car doe's not need a 100kW battery but your basing your assumptions off the BZ which seems to be a very poor EV.

Maybe you should have kept your Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

The 58 kWh Ioniq 5 will give that sort of range in Winter and costs a lot less than 50K And I daresay the 60kWh Tesla Model Y, also well under 50K, will easily do over 300km providing no high speed driving

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The small battery Ioniq 5 is like €43K isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

People throw around numbers like only €49k like it isn't an enormous amount of money to spunk on a car.

Particularly on one that isn't a luxury brand or a prestige model.

• Advertisement

I thought €42K or a little less? But haven't checked prices for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

With that price 50k euros, that much is the range. If tesla or ionique 5 has more range, it has more price.

eh??????

You could have bought the Tesla Model Y which is infinitely better than the bz4x in almost every measurable way (including price), and still had €3k left in your pocket…..

I know it’s not like for like, but my 2020 Model 3 SR+ (with 50kWh battery) will go further than the bz4x…. (Current local driving in this weather gets me about 320km from a full battery).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭CoBo55

And you can DC charge it as often as you like. The bxzzx whatever it is is a pig in a poke. Toyota really need to up their game or they're doomed.

Yup,

on 2 occasions I’ve DC charged 4 times in a single day. The first was last summer driving from Cherbourg to Maastricht, and I initially pulled 170kW each time. Then again on a day trip from Dublin out to Roundstone and back, and again got the headline speeds when SOC was low enough…..

would have been fairly pi$$ed off if the 3rd & 4th charging sessions were limited to 40kW… (that’s almost 2 hours from empty to full in a bZ4x…. Madness)

So does this Tesla give 455km as advertised. Toyota said bz4x has 500km, but actually gives 430km. What about when air conditioning or heater is on. Does Tesla give 455?

And I just got the figures for model Y.

• Advertisement

Interesting that Bjorn says it’s 440km (@90km/h), and the BZ4x in the exact same test it’s only 297km

Tesla has a heat pump so the same test in winter would yield a similar result…. It certainly won’t drop down to sub 300km anyway….

does the bz4x have a heat pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

winter test, AWD for BZ

Summer test Rwd for the Y

How much did the Y drop in price a month ago?

BTW my brother said another drop is coming, is that correct? Excellent value then. If you can get past the steering wheel, shelf and tablet design.

In extreme cold and icy weather, bz4x gives 270km. But it happens 3 or 4 days in Ireland.

Yeah the bz4x 2WD should have a bit better range than the AWD that Bjorn tested, but I’ll still say that side by side the RWD Model Y will still absolutely rinse the 2WD/AWD bz4x in whatever side by side test can be conducted….

I’d like to see another one of those CarWow videos where they get 4-5 cars and set off at the same time to see how far they all get….

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Did you get a delivery date yet…..apparently some arrived in Dublin port yesterday !!

Updates for the Bz,

Honestly, I thought Toyota would have just left it as is, but seemingly they care. Good news for owners.

So they are admitting that the product is sub par, and will hope to make it better with a software update…

they're increasing the daily limit of 2 DC charging sessions to 3.8 DC charging sessions per day.

So it’s still a lemon.

It works the other way also, OTA updates nerfing the model S for example, ID's had to go to the dealers before OTA was available, I see little difference in the BZ and most other EVS, each has there own problems, some look terrible inside, short range is common on lots of EV's, it's what rocks your boat, you want a tesla, others want a mini.

I think this move by Toyota will help their customers and will be appreciated, even if the car is short-range and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Fair play to Toyota for directly communicating with Bjørn about this. Not many companies do. I'm actually quite impressed about it. Looks like the bad press will genuinely make the BZ4X a better car for the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Given your fondness for the brand, did Akio Toyoda throw the leg over your OH at some point? Or did some lad in a Corolla run over your childhood pet?

I am actually quite fond of the brand (well I was) having had 3 Avensis (including 2 brand new ones). And only a few months ago I put my mother in a Toyota Aqua 100% petrol powered self charging hybrid, which replaced her Yaris which needed a full engine rebuild or a new engine….

My father always drove Toyota’s too while he was alive, so all in all we’ve had about 12 of them in the family… and apart from the 3 pot Yaris being a pile of scut, never really had any major issues with them (my favourite was probably the gold Sprinter my dad had back around 1990…. I loved that car and it was fast as fcuk….. (I still remember the reg: 88D17451), my dad claimed he did Cork to Dublin in about 2 hours during the Ireland v Romania game at Italia 90…)

that’s why it’s such a shame to see them fcuk up their first EV so badly…… it just ranks of a half hearted effort that they’ve been forced into doing to react to the market rather than something they actually wanted to to….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks like his child had the final say about the BZ4X 😂

True, I have always been a Toyota fan, but it looks like their first modern EV is a bit lacking. What a pity, it could have been so different.

I am presently still in a less developed country in SE Asia, Toyota are every where. Probably the Prius being the most popular. Was talking to a Taxi driver yesterday with over 500k indicated on his, but he did say milo has been stopped for a while. Looked almost as new, all original engine etc, but he has had small traction battery repaired a few times. Any of the local back street boys can replace cells as needed for a fraction of the cost of a clutch or whatever on a conventional car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Some thoughts......

There isn't a limit to the amount of DC charges you can do AFAIK...

There IS a limit to how many full speed DC charges you can do.....

Which isn't the same.....

The car will have kept charging throughout the 1000 kms challenge it's just that charging was very slow. Slow as in it was doing 44 kW when it should be capable of 100 to 150 kW at full speed.

It's good to see Toyota acknowledge the issue and promise a fix.....

3.8 full speed charges will mean most people will never experience the issue at all assuming there are no further issues as a result....

We need to consider even with BZ4xs poor efficiency - just how far 3.8 charges might take you....

Let's be conservative.

1st charge 120 miles done.

2nd charge 210 miles done.

3rd charge 300 miles done....

4th charge 390 miles done.

Based on 0.8 of a charge then at 4th charge we might add 72 miles at full speed for a potential distance of 462 miles.....

We can still add charge for 500 and 600 miles etc but the charging speed is slower.

I still don't like the pile of crap but I'm old enough to remember how the rapidgate fuss on Leaf 40 roared into life......

Lads were calling for buybacks, recalls and predicting doomsday scenarios.....

5 years later and Leaf 40s are still driving around and even still been sold new.

The big Leaf issue on the agenda these days is chademo - that's the big reason not to buy one....

I predict in 5 years time the BZ4x issues here will be a non event

I talked to the dealer. They said as mentioned in the website, bz4x has the capability to provide 500 km in any terrai like their hybrid cars. But they have tweaked it such that it shows less and very less when heater and a/c are running. They do not want to sell EV too much now, because their hybrid cars are most selling now and around a million in a month. So once they update the software, it will be a disaster for other EVs. And that's the reason why Toyota said it has the capability to beat Tesla in the coming years.

It was a 132, 137,000km on it and I think the final price was €8,750 (they gave me €1,800 trade in off the Yaris).

The Aqua is a lovely little car in fairness, and my mam loves it…. I almost got her a Zoe but it sold by the time I was ready to move on it (a bullet dodged probably as I don’t think she’d have been ready yet for a car with a plug (and with probably only 70-90km of range too)).

As I’ve said all along, Toyota make great cars, and I’ve no doubt the bz4x is a great car…. And anyone getting one who’s never gonna be bothered by it’s limited range and charging abilities will probably love it, But under the hood it just seems like the (full) EV tech is awful…

Toyota said the software update will unlock about 10-15% of extra range, which will be great for the owners, but what’s that going to do to their claim of the battery retaining 70% of its capacity after 10 years…. It’s easy to offer out that sort of guarantee when they had so much buffer built in, but almost immediately promising to release more of that buffer to increase the poorly reported range almost as soon as the most famous EV YouTuber in the world gets his hands on the car and starts releasing videos seems a tad amateur hour to me…… did they not test the car themselves? And privately discover the range was terrible compared to other EV’s? No, they released it as is and let its problems be discovered publicly….. and are now retrospectively trying to fix it…. Again, amateur hour stuff from the biggest car maker in the world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So once they update the software, it will be a disaster for other EVs.

Ah, come off the stage!

• Advertisement

Remember though who it is telling him all this…. It’s his Toyota dealer…. And Toyota are world leaders in electrification, so in fairness they should know…

I wonder will the software update be able to improve on the dismal efficiency?

300Wh/km at 120km/h, reducing to about 205Wh/km at 90km/h..

Advertisement