Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Villa05

Ireland was the only area in the EU to show an increase in demand for mortgages in the final quarter of 22.

Rush to fixed rate perhaps, while still available at decent rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like crippling inflation is feeding into planned state infrastructure projects now too:

"School patron bodies have said they are "bitterly disappointed" by a Department of Education decision to put on hold the construction of 58 new school buildings across the country."

A total of €860m has been allocated for school building projects for this year. In 2022 €792m was initially allocated but that was later augmented by an additional circa €300m, bringing the total for 2022 to €1.12m.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0309/1361112-school-constructions/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Sound bite politicians. That's all I see anymore create sound bites that give the illusions they are changing and doing good. The age old saying watch what they do not what they say - this can be said for government and the main western central banks who have made an absolute shambles of the inflation situation. They have lost all credibility with their forecasts and assumptions and are quickly losing the people too which is worse than the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think you're missing the point a bit? A central case can be 'negative', even a positive case can be 'negative' if the overall outlook is bad. The central case is just what they consider to be the most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think that was more wishful thinking than anything else. We've had nearly ten years of solid growth, and it's making things simply too expensive for a lot of people. Personally, and not to be facetious, I'd take my chances in a crash over the continuation of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have had ten years of growth off an artificial low. The low caused a situation where we had very few houses build for 6-7 years. The first 3 years of that growth was in Dublin only and the next two years only larger urban centres benefited

In the last five years our population has grown by 10% and that is ignoring the Ukrainian refugees. Dublin suffers from a massive shortage of construction labour. 50% of that workforce travels in and out of Dublin every day and needs a premium over what they would earn local to them.

Travel costs have further exasperated that along with carbon taxes adding to construction costs. There is no magic bullet. Unless the price of construction of new houses drops substantially ( which no one can see) it would take circumstances that would cause significant structural issues in this country's to drop prices by more than 10-15%

There are some posters that think shafting certain sections of society will cause a situation where prices will drop significantly. They would quite willing shaft the rental market, the Ukrainian refugees, refugee's in general, older people who have bought and paid for there houses years ago etc to achieve a short term price collapse with no consideration of medium or long term problem that would arise.

Slava Ukrainii

This is Ireland, hazard a guess what might happen if such a scheme was introduced.

Landlord keeps property empty while sussing out tenants that may have an interest and capacity to buy in a supply starved market

Sell to tennant after a period of rental. Cgt gain is split at pre agreed level.

Result: increase void period of rentals.

increase short term let's until landlord finds appropriate tennant to pull off the CGT gain.

Reduce rental stock.

Create an incentive for long term professional indegenious landlords to exit the market having built up a significant capital gain on his/her properties

I wonder who lobbied for this particular "solution"

I accept what you say, and I don't really disagree. However, let's imagine that the growth continues unabated. What will happen then? If there is a crash, a lot of people will lose out, but if things carry on as they are, so too will many others. You mention older people who have bought and paid for their houses, but what about younger generations who cannot even acquire a house?

Regarding what you say about the growth being on top of an artificial low, could one not equally say that the Celtic Tiger was an artificial high? It was made possible largely though an abundance of credit. Indeed, the growth that has come in the 2010s was largely through the "printing" of fiat money, and that went nuclear during the lockdowns.

As I see it, the current chasing of constant growth is not going to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Does anyone really put any faith in bank forecasts though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well then they will be hitting the wall. At some point they are going to have to cut their profit margins a lot thinner. Construction output is down over 20% over the last 2 years and this will continue as people who were going to be getting work done this year or next will be locked out of lending with the higher and higher interest rates. So the question will be who last longer a person who may or may not need work done or a builder who needs to work to pay the bills

• Advertisement

They may have hit artificial low but it would be intresting to know how far from the long term average they fell when you consider what was done to stop them falling further:

Full bailout of the entire banking system.

Bankruptcy of the state with national debt going from miniscule to one of the highest in the world on per capita basis including the complete draining of the pension reserve fund

Repayment of mortgages made optional while you keep the utility value of the house .

Capture and control of Development land and surplus housing

Free money through 0 rates

The full power of the monetary and fiscal system up to the ECB

The cost of above being passed onto children and generations not even born.

Could you share with us who you feel will be shafted by having house prices and rents at a more affordable level. It would seem logical and sensible to have them there.

Implementing policy that blows house price bubbles seem to shaft alot more people and in particular people that bear no responsibility for creating the mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The government profiteering (substantially) off housing needs to come to an END.

Good to see the news of the potential removal of CGT in certain scenarios.

Penny might be finally dropping with these idiots.

As I see, we have entirely the wrong people in charge here. The politicians and civil servants who run the state are not trying to buy a home or find a place to live. Indeed, many of them have vested interests in pursuing policies that will exacerbate the situation as they profit from it. How many politicians are feathering their nests for nice job in the EU or as part of an NGO by pushing globalist policy that has a deleterious effect on the Irish people?

I don't really see how any of this can be resolved. All of the major politician parties have broadly similar policies, and the parties that offer anything different haven't a snowball's chance in hell of ever being elected. Beyond that, the bureaucracy of the state itself is not subject to an election. No senior civil servant is going to lose his or her job, and these people have enormous influence.

This is happening in just about every Western state. If you ask me, the West has simply had its day, and we're seeing the decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Here are a couple of simple solutions that the government could implement tomorrow:

1. massively increase property tax
    2. a multiplier on same for vacant/underused/low density property.
    3. Zero tax on building 6+ story apartment buildings inside the canals.
    4. A new “antisocial objection” fee of €5000 to be allowed to object to an infrastructure project.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I kind of agree.

No real growth in property prices this year because of rising interest rates and cost of living issues, but no falls because of chronic supply issues and the government fast becoming the biggest buyer of homes and they have loads of cash. That is probably the most likely scenario this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

This is the exact reason we have such a shortage of construction workers now, and if we continue with that way of thinking it will stay that way.

Fluctuating wages don't exactly attract people into a career.

Unless efforts are made to make it a more stable industry, we are going to continue struggling to get people to do apprenticeships, and stay in the industry (and indeed the country).

The alternative is lose your young workforce to other countries in the next downturn, lose people to other industries - and we are still feeling the effects of that 15 years on from the last one.

I don't work in the industry, but with the country playing catch up on housing, and infrastructure, I think there's a long way to go before demand for construction dissapears.

Also with the energy targets we've signed up to, the retrofitting of housing, electric car infrastructure, clean energy projects etc.. all need construction workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not too sure about the last bit. There's plenty of NIMBYism over here in the UK but at least a fair amount of new accomodation stock is getting built. In Ireland it is basically nothing.

I really don't forsee the Irish state getting its sh!t together anytime soon and that is why I am one of several regulars here who have emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This is a good point , add this to the fact that the Irish property market has been captured by big US capital and by controlling current sales and rentals are essentially monopolising the market . Our govt has no interest in changing this , just tinkering around the edges to placate lobby groups. The dividend in corporation tax from tech MNCs more than compensates for the dysfunctional property market , you cant have your bread and eat it.

The UK had 500k net migration into the state last year. The NHS is bursting at the seams, and it has its own issues with BREXIT and all that goes with it. Building or not, I don't think that the UK is any better of than Ireland.

As a mate of mine quipped recently, Lizzy picked a good time to go :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NIMBYs in and of themselves aren't neccessarily a problem. The problem here is giving too much weight to their complaints and objections. Maybe the UK doesn't do that as much as we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭quokula

I was surprised to hear that the UK is building more stock as it clashed with my own anecdotal experience, so I looked up the numbers.

UK built 204,000 homes last year, which works out at approx 3,000 per million population.

Ireland built 30,000 homes last year, which works out at approx 6,000 per million population.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That is actually down on the previous years as well. 243k built in 2019/2020 and 216k built in 2020/2021. Their targets are 300k per year which is less per capita then we are building now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Darragh O’Brien tells councils to buy 1,500 homes to prepare for evictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Is this the most expensive transaction ever recorded on the Property Price Register? €255,375,000 !

What palace of sybaritic luxury and excess has been bought for this King's ransom?

None.

Looks like the site cost for a social/affordable housing scheme.

Making it up as we go along, no plan. No clue. Out of their depth

Please quit and be a true public sevant

Austria purchased 100 year money at less than 0.88% in 2020. Think of what could be achieved in housing with 100 year money at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭quokula

It's space for over 1,000 homes, 2 parks, shops, cafes, a community centre and a creche all within walking distance of the city centre. That's going to cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

A huge amount, on top of this 1/4 Billion (that’s over €18 Million an acre for probably the “least prime” area of Dublin.)

Who gets this €255 Million? Why not divvy that up to among a thousand families on the housing list. €255,000 would pay for the construction of a decent family home. But not in Ireland where “affordable housing” = houses that only the government can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

1: Its not the 'least prime area of Dublin' whatsoever. Its very central and well serviced by public transport

2: €255,000 to build a house is all well and good (is it even enough?), apart from you know, the land you need to put it on! Guess what they're buying here? Land to build homes on

Advertisement