Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a source for it was posted. it wasn't just made up. Are there any other english language constructs you do not understand?

describing them as mentally ill is not offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And the people with mental illness who recognise more than 2 genders

Citizens are allowed to differ.

But they are not entitled to different laws, or to ignore the law and discriminate against others on the basis of their personal or religious beliefs.

Society doesn't work that way.

I think it is four High Court Judges now, who have stated on the record that Burke's case has nothing to do with transgender or Burke's religious beliefs.

Remember, Burke not only wanted to discriminate against a trans student himself, he also wanted WHS to withdraw their request made on behalf of a trans student, so every member of staff of WHS could discriminate against them if they wished.

Note you said:

as a parent you would have the view that such decisions are not to be encouraged at tender ages.

The parents of this child gave their consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

You don't often see people being that aggressively wrong. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

An impartial assessment of this week's judgement from a legal expert here:

Unsurprisingly, several comments under the video ignore the contents and insist that it was a ruling about "transgenderism" and religious beliefs. The solicitor sums it up in one of his responses: "People are too entrenched with their ideology and their fears to actually read the decision and understand what happened and the facts of the case. Happens all the time, unfortunately."

Yes, they are. But maybe not in the way you think?

Remember 1993 when homosexuality was decriminalised? 30 years of changing winds since then.

I'm sure there were people back then still arguing that homosexuality would never be accepted, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They are allowed to differ with regards to opinion, but not fact.

Case in point: ...that Burke had a reasonable case as regards his religious beliefs,

Fact - he didn't, as religious beliefs and practices are not catered for in the workplace. This was confirmed categorically and finally last Tuesday.

Case in point 2: that they wish to reassign their gender...

Not relevant - student was not transitioning gender, student was going non-binary (which just involved names and pronouns)

I would have the view that such decisions are not to be encouraged at tender ages.

Really depends on the individual, what said individual wants to do, what you see to be a "tender age". In this case, we're talking someone who's at least 13/14 (hardly "tender") requesting new pronouns (hardly traumatic).

Now if it was a 9/10 year old wanting to undergo surgery, I'd be in agreement with you, but I'd still be in favour of educating the kid neutrally so that when comes - be it 15 or 18 or 21 or whatever - they can make an informed decision.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I dunno, there's a significant contingent on here who regularly choose to sacrifice themselves on the altar of spectacular wrongness. It's actually quite amusing.

@ohnonotgmail

One is driven to the conclusion that he quite enjoys conflict and confrontation and the passing notoriety his wilful and contumacious contempt of court has bought him.

I'm happy to have learned a new word today.

contumacious

/ˌkɒntjʊˈmeɪʃəs/

adjectiveARCHAIC•LAW

1. (especially of a defendant's behaviour) stubbornly or wilfully disobedient to authority.
    2. "his refusal to make child support payments was contumacious"

Every day is a school day. 🙋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

Did he turn up today at the school? It's very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have no time for the Burkes although I think they are entitled to their views however mad they are.

I have had trouble with the they/them being used for a singular person because that's not what I was taught in school many years ago. However I have been googling and have found this -

'The singular “they” is a generic third-person singular pronoun in English. Use of the singular “they” is endorsed as part of APA Style because it is inclusive of all people and helps writers avoid making assumptions about gender'.

And

'Writers should use the singular “they” in two main cases: (a) when referring to a generic person whose gender is unknown or irrelevant to the context and (b) when referring to a specific, known person who uses “they” as their pronoun.'

I think i'm getting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Poor effort!

Of course history will not be kind to him. It's the changing winds that are working against him.

And, yet again, this fiasco is not about his beliefs, nor the rights or wrongs of transgenerism, its about his gross misconduct at his place of employment. Don't lose sight of the issue that has him where he is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

What I don’t understand about Burke is the hill he’s chosen to die on. By all accounts he seemed like a good teacher who enjoyed his job. He didn’t even teach the child in question, and while he claims he would have contact with the child because it’s a small school and he’d have to substitute a class every now and again and couldn’t bring himself to call out a name on a roll because it was in contrast with his belief, well Michael Collins and the boys had deeply held beliefs but still crossed their fingers and took the oath of allegiance to the King because they realised there was a bigger picture at play. Why Burke could not to this I do not know, throw away your livelihood and good reputation, be sent to prison, rake up over 30k in fines over the sake of a confused child. Even if it is his overbearing and controlling mother calling all the shots and he’s just a victim of his own family, he could of just not told his mother about the child in question and she’d been none the wiser from Castlebar.

Even with the roll issue, he could have sent a piece of paper around the class and got everyone to write their names on it and just fill a tick or an x for everyone after, wouldn’t even have to say the name. It’s called boxing clever Enoch!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can picture Enoch speaking in German with a raised voice.........the language was made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a really silly and pointless comment - have you watched his video? I have no time for him and his messing, but his teaching style came over as calm, relaxed, informative and helpful. What a waste.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's as relevant as many comments here.

Have you no sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

That word describes my ex perfectly! I’d be tempted to swap the o for a u and it would be even better. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

I made the mistake of going on Twitter to find out but it’s full of nut jobs rantings who clearly have no idea about the facts and court rulings of the case. I gave up and I’m still none the wiser 😂. Manky day out there today though. I hope mammy packed him a brolly 👍

What's the relevance of his teaching ability to his getting fired for ranting and raving at his manager in public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Convenient to arguments when you choose to ignore facts isn't it

One common bugbear of the grammatical stickler is the singular they. For those who haven’t kept up, the complaint is this: the use of they as a gender-neutral pronoun (as in, “Ask each of the students what they want for lunch.”) is ungrammatical because they is a plural pronoun.

In an 1881 letter, Emily Dickinson wrote "Almost anyone under the circumstances would have doubted if [the letter] were theirs, or indeed if they were themself." People have used singular 'they' to describe someone whose gender is unknown for a long time, but the nonbinary use of 'they' is relatively new.

Much has been written on they, and we aren’t going to attempt to cover it here. We will note that they has been in consistent use as a singular pronoun since the late 1300s; that the development of singular they mirrors the development of the singular you from the plural you, yet we don’t complain that singular you is ungrammatical; and that regardless of what detractors say, nearly everyone uses the singular they in casual conversation and often in formal writing.

They is taking on a new use, however: as a pronoun of choice for someone who doesn’t identify as either male or female. This is a different use than the traditional singular they, which is used to refer to a person whose gender isn’t known or isn’t important in the context, as in the example above. The new use of they is direct, and it is for a person whose gender is known or knowable, but who does not identify as male or female. If I were introducing a friend who preferred to use the pronoun they, I would say, “This is my friend, Jay. I met them at work.”

If you’re someone who has a binary gender (that is, who identifies as male or female) and you’ve never encountered the nonbinary they before, it may feel a little weird. Or you may think it’s unnecessary. You may be confused by all the new terminology (though there’s help out there for you). Yet we’ve been searching for a nonbinary pronoun for quite a while now.

There have always been people who didn’t conform to an expected gender expression, or who seemed to be neither male nor female. But we’ve struggled to find the right language to describe these people—and in particular, the right pronouns. In the 17th century, English laws concerning inheritance sometimes referred to people who didn’t fit a gender binary using the pronoun it, which, while dehumanizing, was conceived of as being the most grammatically fit answer to gendered pronouns around then. Adopting the already-singular they is vastly preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You are the third person to try and twist what I wrote to suit your agenda. It should be abundantly clear in the context of what I wrote:

"There are a wide variety of views in Irish society on the related matters. As I've stated a few times, personally happy to acknowledge and accept those who choose with the wisdom of maturity that they wish to reassign their gender. As a parent I would have the view that such decisions are not to be encouraged at tender ages.

Citizens are allowed to differ you know. That is how society works."

that I am referring to the fact that posters here and citizens in society in general have a variety of views on such matters and are entitled to express them. I never referred at all to ignoring laws or any other spin that you or others keep returning to. I'm quite sure you agree that other people have varied views and that their views are as valid as yours and others? If not, well that would be very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I doubt he was ranting and raving at his manager in German?

Enoch reacts to hitting a maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Do you mean the religious history, that told us that god created woman from a man's rib! Is that the bulls..sorry history, that you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

I'm not big on social media and there was nothing on the lunch time news. Maybe somebody in the know might be on to let us know. He could do with some oxtail soup in a flask to keep his strength up.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Ooh... this merits a Führer ranting in the bunker video, the mother being the Führer and the father and kids the berated underlings.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lol, that's my photoshop! 😁 I posted it here yesterday. (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120331374/#Comment_120331374)

I assume you didn't just copy it from this thread to post it back here, so where did you see it? Just curious! 😊

Advertisement