Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jaysus, talk about a marriage made in hell between two utterly toxic, past-it brands.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,846 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The writer no doubt has contempt for the Green party, that in itself doesn't diminish what he has to say.

The purpose of the Green Party is to provide a vote laundering service to middle class liberals who want to support Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael but are too embarrassed to do so. That way Green voters can feel good about themselves while preserving a status quo that has seen record homelessness, a collapsing health service and more than 70 percent of young people considering emigrating.

I'd argue that this is spot on analysis TBH. I know quite a few people who voted Green but are full on FG or FF in every way.

I didn't claim all of the article was true or on point, rather that some of the criticisms made will have to be answered at the next election. In the same way the Greens had to answer for their last stint in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

And I'd argue that it's utterly derivative nonsense. He is essentially accusing Green Party voters of "Virtue signaling".

It's basically playing on the stereotype that all Green voters live in mansions in D4, drive massive 4v4s, jet off on loads of foreign holidays and then turn around and demand that poor people and farmers drastically alter their lifestyles in the name of saving the planet.

It's the equivalent of saying that Sinn Fein voters all come from council estates, hate the British, sponge off the state and expect something for nothing.

It's just offensive sterotyping based on the very worst opinions others have of the party and its voters.

And even if I knew "quite a few people" like that who voted SF it wouldn't make it true. The plural of anecdote is not data.

We'll see come the election. I think the Greens will be given the same answer as they got after their last stint in government. And it will be for some of the reasons outlined in the article.

By the way, I never presented anything as 'data' I merely voiced an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Greens held two seats in the last Dail with 2.7% of the vote, they have 12 seats with 7.1% of the vote this time. They are currently polling around 4-5% in the opinion polls.

Sure, there are people, like whatever idiot wrote that Ditch article, who don't understand the Greens, and who engage in ignorant stereotyping, and there are also fools who fall for that schtick, but the reality is that the Greens would likely retain 4-5 seats if an election was held today, and return as part of the current government, but in an election in two years time, as the effects of climate change get clearer and clearer, and their efforts in public transport and other areas begin to bear fruit, they could do even better than that.

One thing that can be said, unlike opposition parties like PBP and SF, who attract votes for being against everything, and having nothing positive to say, the Greens have always put forward a positive agenda, one of real change, with real policies.

• Advertisement

He certainly has a 'different' understanding of the Greens as many people have differing understandings of other parties. These threads are awash with different understandings of the various political entities, nothing unusual there.

The 'reality' will be in the result of the next election. We shall see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That is not "analysis" - its just projecting your prejudices onto other voters with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

An extraordinary amount of analysis goes on across media without evidence.

It's an 'opinion piece'. I agree with some of his opinions. In my experience I have found that analysis to be largely true.

You are entitled to your view.

Fair enough.

For what it's worth I fully expect the Greens to get a whacked at the next election. That's just how it always goes for the junior parties in coalitions (PDs in 2007, Greens in 2011, Labour in 2016, Ind Alliance in 2020). They also benefited from SF not running enough candidates last time out - which was likely a one off bonus. I don't think they'll be completely wiped out again but they could end up back at their 2016 numbers (2 seats).

I think you will be surprised. Some of the changes that are difficult to accept will be beginning to bear fruit come 2025, and the Greens will do better than anyone thinks.

Even if I am wrong, the long-term changes that they make will last more than an electoral cycle and be difficult to reverse. For example, imaging a government reneging on climate tax or climate change targets? Will be slated everywhere, and not just in Ireland. Greens aren't interested solely in electoral success. Unlike others who talk about change, they are interested in making change.

• Advertisement

You may agree with his opinion and you are entitled to, but it is still not analysis. No analytics have been done whatsoever. He has no polling data to back up that Green voters are "secret" FF/FG voters. No polling data even as to why people vote for the Greens.

The problem of junior coalition partners being hammered in subsequent elections is a perennial one in Ireland, and I think a more insightful opinion piece would look into why the electorate is so unforgiving of them. Personally I find it reflects poorly on voter's understanding of our system and the pros and cons thereof. Given the amount of space given over to upbraiding members of the ruling coalition for voting with the coalition, the writer of that piece also clearly poorly understands it or is being utterly disingenuous - neither of which reflects well on them.

If you wish to use a single pedantic understanding of 'analysis' work away.

And the reason minor coalition parties don't do well here is not that hard to analyse either.

It's because they utterly betray what they stand for. See Howlin excusing Labour for another example, with 'We did what had to be done...'.

The electorate are not stupid and understand perfectly.

It is not pedantic. There are many ways to analyse a situation, I gave some examples. That author didn't analyse a thing. He made blanket statements as a fait accompli without even attempting to back them up. Given the significant unease among the party and its members about going into the coalition it doesn't even particularly make sense.

An electorate that does not seem to understand that a junior party will get very few of its promises through and be forced to vote through the government's policies does not understand anything perfectly. I agree with you to a degree on why the issue happens - they do not meet the expectations of those who voted for them. However, those expectations (which seem to be "achieve 100% of the manifesto" most of the time) are often utterly misguided.

I suspect this utter inability to countenance compromise is what will put paid to any attempt to organise a stable alternative coalition after the next election also.

Personally I find it reflects poorly on voter's understanding of our system and the pros and cons thereof

That statement of yours ^ also comes under what I would call 'analysis', it is also a 'blanket statement' without data or back-up, on the the ability of the electorate to analyse what is going on. You either take it on board or you don't. I don't accept that analysis of the electorate as per my previous post.

Compromise is good, capitulation is bad and I think the electorate can recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Any time as to when the redrawn constituencies will be announced?

Yes. Its my opinion. I never called it analysis cause it clearly isn't. Personally I believe its more based on the real world than anything in that piece, but then I would.

However, the fact that the Greens were very split about going into government is a fact that undermines one of the tenets of the Ditch piece.

And the article has been described by one of it's detractors here as 'an opinion piece'. To have an opinion on an issue you have to analyse it from your perspective.

A more detailed breakdown of Census results is due out next month and the new constituencies will be drawn up based on that. The new Electoral Commission will pick them. I think they should should be published by July.

I think a lot of what you're talking about is caused by one of my own pet peeves which is the way that the formation of Governments is treated during election campaigns. Realistically, given our electoral system and the collapse in the historic dominance of FF there will never again be a one-party majority. Parties will need to enter coalitions and they will therefore need to make compromises. This isn't really addressed in interviews or debates during elections though. Parties are treated as if they'll be able to pass their entire platform and the only times coalitions are mentioned its to ask parties who they are ruling out going into coalition with.

I think it's partially because we are culturally dominated by the USA and UK, two countries with majoritarian systems and partially because of the weird electoral history we had up until 2011. With the disappearance of large parties and more medium sized and small sized parties hopefully in future more time will be spent on this kind of nuance (I won't hold my breath though).

Not helped by decades of parties saying one thing while doing the exact opposite when they win. How would you ask Michael Martin about coalition when he was saying he would never coalesce with the party he eventually coalesced with?

• Advertisement

It would help if we stopped asking these questions before elections in the first place. They are on a hiding to nothing either way and they are not useful questions.

The dynamics after an election define what you can do and at that stage you hope your representatives approach it seriously and look at all the options. There are simply too many unknown variables to attempt to answer the question with any value beforehand.

Perhaps things will change in the future as we come to accept that.

It goes further to the point that I genuinely don't think the electorate has a good understanding of what government formation involves. Things have a habit of changing quickly, but we are looking more like going towards a Belgian/Dutch/Swedish kind of system with varying coalitions rather than a quasi-UK system of a massive party with some appendages. That is possibly a good thing in the long term but will take some adjustment from both parties and media in how they approach elections.

Won't change at the next election anyhow as the public voting for FG or FF will want to know if they are effectively re-electing the government.

It will certainly be interesting to hear the answers.

Anyone can make submissions to the Electoral Commission. Due date is 10th of May.

The Commission has three months from the publication of the breakdown, so it looks like July as you say.

I don't think that there is any chance of what you are saying ever actually happening.

Look at the current opposition. Is there a single significant government measure that they have supported from the outset? How could any of them credibly go into government with any of FF, FG or Greens. There is no chance of such sophistication from the knee-jerk anti-everything in SF and PBP, but you would hope that Bacik or Cairns would actually play it a bit cleverer and show some support at some stage for the government, thereby giving themselves future credibility in government discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government should have never agreed to the eviction ban in the first place. Too late now.

The signal is out - you won't be evicted in Ireland. No wonder there are growing reports of anti social behaviour, drugs and and filthy conditions in rented houses and apartments, private or council.

The threat of eviction needs to be there to keep those that don't give a toss about anything in check.

Politically, the government have tried to shift blame onto landlords and for the first time, I heard them including the refugees in with the housing crisis. They are playing with fire.

Equally then, most opposition parties object to large housing developments in their area. We are badly served in this country.

They'll have as much credibility as FG and FF who coalesced after 100 years of being in opposition to one another.

And the 'anti everything' is sensationalist. There are many many thing done everyday by the government that do not raise objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

With a range of media outlets the questions are always going to be asked. The solution is not to make line-in-the-sand commitments you know you may not be able to live up to, like this

Fianna Fail seem set to into the election leaving all coalition options open, and will take whatever hit that entails from voters who don't want SF in government under any circumstances, so maybe that signals a new realism in the handling of these matters.

Gilmore was an absolute idiot in the run-up to the 2011 election. Writing cheques left right and centre he knew he'd never be able to cash. Even a single-party Labour majority government (!) wouldn't have been able to do all the things he promised. The really crazy thing is that they would have done well in the election anyway without the outlandish promises. The damage he did to the party is probably irreperable. But he did get his "Gilmore for Taoiseach" posters on the lampposts which appears to have been the important thing.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IIRC FG single-party government, even overall majority, became a live possibility in the final weeks of the election campaign. Don't remember the exact sequence of events, but it may be out of desperation to head off that calamity that Labour's mouth started writing cheques its ass would never be able to cash...

• Advertisement

I seem to recall it started well before the latter stage of the campaign. Did FG ever really look like a possible single-party government?

Advertisement