Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to keep broadband costs down?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

I just sent them a message on Facebook, stating contact due up, reviewing offers from sky/Eir and asked what was their offer. I got message back saying 15 Euro off on 12 month contract 35E per month, they arranged for Call back then to go over the contract and verb agreement..

friend also renewed his at 35, before that he had jump through few hoops though, first they offered him 5 euro off, but when he question them on it why would he would accepted that if he could just hang up and call sky to switch, got transfer to higher up and they offered him the 35E bundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Sky 500MB fibre to the home is €30 for 12 months at the moment. Best deal I could find.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Even though it goes against everything I believe in, it pays to actually talk to them on the phone (wait times included) rather than just on FB or via chat. It is quicker to get through to the loyalty dept with less back and forth.

• Honestly does feel like more and more companies are not as interested one way or the other about customer retention. Either that or the cost of the service has gotten too much to really go mad with the deals.

like my mother in law a few years (a good few years 8-9 by now) when cancelling Sky was given 6 months free.

they must have been hoping and praying she’d take out movies or something but either way you couldn’t dream of sky or anyone being that bothered if you stuck around now. I suspect it’s because far more people now have access to broadband connections etc there’s just more customers.

They’re still surely coming out better if 10 people leave 10 people stay with the fiver discount but while that’s happening 30 new customers joined

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eddieoregan

My Vodafone FTTH & phone contact expires on 26 April 2023, when should I start looking at my options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id look at your contract now just to make sure Vodafone dont do that sneaky thing of needing 30 days notice to cancel so if you dont ring up on the exact -30th day they get you on the hook for a further 30 days bill after your contract has expired. Not sure if they still do it but remember reading about it here before for phone contracts.

Anyway Im in the middle of an install with Vodafone at the moment. Price was 35 a month for the first 12 months, 55 thereafter. Said to the fella on the phone Sky are also 35 a month so I would likely go with them. At that he said he would beat Skys price and he offered 27.50 a month which I took. Its actually called an Office Essentials 500 plan so its for commercial businesses. He signed me up to it knowing Im residential so as long as my first bill is 27.50 as agreed then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gundry

Vodafone 30 euro a month because I told them I was going to move to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

The Vodafone Gigabox is garbage though. I wouldn’t go near them until they start rolling out newer hardware.

I had it previous and wired connections were fine but Wi-Fi speeds were all over the place 70mb one minute and 2mb the next.

Sky are doing 500mb fibre for €30 for 12 months via one big switch. I’m with them the last 6 weeks or so and has been very reliable. Pure telecom are excellent also but are not doing such great deals at the moment.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buy a decent wifi router and use it for any and all providers you use - pretty much all the ISP provided kit is junk

Mine is still capable of pushing my entire line speed to anywhere in the house so I don't need to upgrade it yet; and its quite a few years old. ASUS RT-AC58U; I would look for a newer one than that if buying now though. Its the second ASUS I've had, the earlier one did about 7 years.

If you don't work from home or stream much, it may be time to look at using a 4G/5G service instead of wired broadband considering the huge cost differential. I'm paying 64/month for my cable here; but 10.99 a month for the ~70Mbit 4G I get in a holiday house. 70mbit was unbelievably fast at home not that long ago; but it wouldn't cope with two WFH and lots of large file downloads now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Hi, I have a TP link AC1200 router and am with Regional Broadband using the 3 network and contract is just up. I am useless at tech stuff and live rurally in a internet blackspot so very limited choices, have tried all options but they are the best of the worst. The thing they put on the roof has a sim card in it so is it just a matter of putting a new payg sim in it or would I need a new thing on the roof? The charge per month now is €55 so if I could change to a payg it would save a lot per month. The speeds are terrible no matter who I ever used so it would be the best of the worst scenario again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're being absolutely robbed.

They will likely claim ownership of all the kit, but even if not, a router, external antenna and cabling will cost you less than 250 to buy outright.

Each network has a sub-15 quid option available - GoMo on Eir, Clear or Postfone on Vodafone and 48 on Three. You need to find out which network is fastest outdoors at your specific house.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I know I'm being ripped off! The router is mine so is the cat 5 cable to the device on the roof. Can you recommend a devise for the roof that would work with the router I have to go on a payg sim or if I cancelled my subscription would I be able to just put a new sim in the device since I paid for the devise when I signed up? My mobile signal here is absolutely brutal so any network will be the same, I know where all the masts are so it makes no difference really who I go with apart from cost per month.

I need to say again that I am useless with tech! I can access the roof no problem to do things as I live in a bungalow but would need advice if there is tech stuff involved doing a changeover.

This is my usual type speeds.

Post edited by Savetheplanet on

Advertisement