Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

Feel free to run whatever numbers you want and I will give you whatever info you need for it. I would be interested to hear more in what you have in mind for a relay board as well, how that would work.

The ice builder has two compressors on a timer which I think are 3hp each so 2.2kw each, lets call it 5kw in total as there is another pump as well to move the cold water around I am not sure how many hours it runs but I would estimate that at the peak months for milk production it is running close to 18-20hours of the day, milk production is seasonal so that would be dropping from June onwards which is when the diverter would be useful if it was able to do it. The system design is that it should run at night rate electricity coming on a timer and make ice for use when needed but the system I have is dramatically undersized and is very inefficient. It should be upgraded at some stage now that I have 3 phase but on the other hand its spread out the load of power which may have an advantage with solar and work a little like a battery. Milking uses about 6-7kw of electricity I estimate and lasts a bit over 2hours twice a day, 7:30 - 9:30am and 17:00 - 19:00. Most of the rest of the power are a couple of water pumps, an electric fencer, lights and there is also a domestic house on the same meter and including in the below figures. Hot water on most farms also use a good amount of power but I have a heat exchanger working off the cooling compressors which claim to use very little power so for me that is not an issue.

Monthly usage in KWH is below

Jan 2418

Feb 3407

Mar 5275

Apr 5495

May 5495

Jun 5495

Jul 4835

Aug 4615

Sep 3956

Oct 3516

Nov 3297

Dec 2198

It might also be of interest that currently I have a 28% discount from the standard tariff with Electric Ireland which means that including VAT I am paying 33.3 cent for the day rate and 16.4 cent for the night rate. Usage is about 60% during the day and 40% at night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Hi,

quick follow up and any feedback appreciated.

New quote:

20x Trina 420w panels

huawei 6kw inverter

2x Tigo optimiser

Slate mounting system

1x Eddi

Smart power sensor

Cabling

Scaffolding for two walls

Total: 14000€ (before grant applied)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pavlova lova

Thanks for all this info, very good to know. I've a 10kw huawei luna battery ordered. Just need to find an electrician who will be able to do all of the above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

They seem high prices compared to what i was getting.

Highest i got for spec mentioned here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120234719/#Comment_120234719 was about €13k before grand and i got it for 11k before grand in the end so working out at a €9600 for the 16 panels.

Just thinking of the future is it as simple as me buying the mounts and the panels and just daisy chaining them to the existing setup if I wanted to increase the number of panels in a few years time or is it more complicated than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Pavlova lova

I did, but I'm at a roadblock now with regards to my electrical skills. Still haven't connected the battery. Back up box will likely be a big job as my fuse board is in the centre of my house and battery inverter in the attic of 3 storey building

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Looking for some advice/guidance. Wanting to go down the solar PV route in a house we are moving into at the end of May. At present we have a 120sqm dormer which use to use 4000KWH annually but has gone up to 7500KWH annually since we got a hybrid, gas is used for hot water, heating and a gas hob, we use roughly 11000kw of gas annually.

The new house is 180sqm uses oil for heating and hot water but we're going to go for an air to water heat pump. What should we be looking at in terms of Solar PV and battery taking into account the above information? We have a south facing roof with 75sqm of usable area, house is vacant from 8ish in the morning till 4 in the afternnon when kids get home from school.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had heat loss calcs done up for the heat pump yet? Using that it will be simple enough to calculate your energy demand.

So you think you can install 35 panels if you wanted to?? most people just say max out all available roof area. But you’re going to be limited to a 6kwh inverter here unless you do a special application. Does the house have 3 phase power?

on a day like today ( it was sunny all day; but it’s still only early March) my 7.4 KWh (18 panel) array was maxed out at 6kwh for 4-5 hours. So it’s really a waste to install more than 18-20 panels unless you also have the capability to go with a bigger inverter also. But i did generate a total of 30KWh of which we exported 16; so if I had a sufficient sized battery I could of filled it.

from my own personal experience; and I don’t have a HP or an EV; I need at least 10kWh of battery (we use an average of 17kwh per day). And then add in the HP id say 15-20kwh would not be wasted on you.

consider how fast you can charge any battery solution your considering. You will likely have a 2-3 hour window each night of low cost electricity and you will want to store as much of that as possible in the months of Nov - Feb. A lot of the battery providers are a bit shady about how fast they can sustainably charge at a given rate from the grid. I would get this in writing from each installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Thanks very much for the feedback HotSwap.

I haven't had heat loss calculations done up for a heat pump yet as we're also planning upgrades to the windows, doors and insulation too.

The house isn't 3 phase, would that be worth investing in if you're wanting a larger than 6kw inverter capacity?

Would love to go to 35 panels with the associated inverter capacity and battery storage capacity but I'd end up in an A&E after the wife found out!!!

It depends if you’re making changes to the electrics or not. But it ends up in you having to pay esb networks for the service alteration and your own contractor; and you also end up paying a higher standing charge I believe. But the advantages would be that you can charge EV’s at 22kwh Vs 7 with single phase. You would also need a 3 phase consumer unit (or multiple single phase units each fed with a different phase). If I was doing a new build and going all electric I would be going down this route. A lot of people will tell this is overkill and maybe you should consider these people point of view too; I like to do things once / as well as it can be done and never have to thing / spend on it again.

you would then be automatically allowed to connect 11kwh of inverters; so you could do a 10kWh 3 phase unit. Or you could do a 6kwh single phase + a 5kWh single phase on two different phases.

This way you could get your roof maxed out and no be wasting too much power at peak times.

you other option is to stay single phase; and go down the nc7 application road which allows you to install up to 17kwh on a standard single phase supply, but this comes with a 1000 euro application fee and may result in you needing to pay esb networks to upgrade their network if you want to go ahead; but they will also tell you how much you can connect without having to pay anything on upgrades. This is a good option; but I used this route only once when the pilot scheme was launching; so I’m not sure if they are actively taking these applications at the moment but it would be worth a phone call. I have the contact details of the people in esb networks that run this scheme if you can’t get the answers you need let me know and I will do some investigations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If sticking with the traditional NC6,

You can also oversize the panels, for instance

You'll have a 6kW inverter but 9kW of panels. (Which is now about 24panels)

There will be clipping in the summer (the curve will flatten) but will generate more on the less than perfect days.

I'd be hesitant to recommend the solis though, as it won't do 5kw (100amps) to and from batteries for more than 15 minutes.

The sofar and sunsynk can though. (Although with the sunsynk you might only get 20 panels on it due to voltage limits of it's mppt, on the 5.5kw one)

I was clipping @ 6kwh yesterday from 11:30 - 13:00 with only 7.2 kw of panels it’s a shame as it’s just wasted potential. And it’s only March.

your better off getting an inverter that’s capable of handling as close as possible the max output of your array in my opinion. It will put less stress on the equipment and hopefully allow it to last longer and you can squeeze every last watt out of your panels.

if it was my house I would attempt the following:

NC7 based on a conversation with a local ESB networks engineer that can advise what the likelihood of it being approved at 0 cost to you is. Hopefully your electrician might have a few of these guys numbers in his mobile that he can give a call to.

32 x 420 W panels. 13.44 kWp. Split this into 4 strings of 8 panels. If you can fit 2 rows of 16 panels if your house is long enough it will look very clean. And leave a nice margin around the edges of the roof.

2 x 6kw huawei sun2000 inverters configured in cascading arrangement.

2 strings into each inverter.

15kwh of Luna battery connected to the master inverter. You can add an additional 5-15 kWh of battery storage as needed based on your usage once you get up and running and truly understand your requirements.

this will give you the ability to supply up to 12kwh of solar directly to your loads in the house when the sun permits. Or also export 12kwh.

You will be able to supply up to 5kWh directly from the battery for the full capacity of the battery. It can spike up to 7kwh for short periods 15 seconds or so to avoid pulling from the grid when motors start up.

you will only be able to charge the battery’s at 3kwh directly from the grid. This is a limitation of the L1 huawei series; but at least it’s documented and supported and understood. A lot of the other Cheeper brands won’t document this spec at all.

With NC7 you will also be putting yourself into the clean export premium category which entities you to 13.5 cent feed in rate guaranteed for 15/20 years. Ok, the 13.5 cent is less than the 21cent people are getting at the moment; but that’s not gonna last forever and you will prob come out ahead in the end. Read this: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/bfe21-homes-farms-businesses-and-communities-to-benefit-as-minister-ryan-announces-the-micro-generation-support-scheme/

i would also add the backup box and plan to have some circuits like lights / HP / fridge / internet router & Wi-Fi access points all fed from the backup supply. Again this is less painful if your already planning on doing a significant bit of re wiring.

feel free to use any brand of inverter / battery but pay attention to charge / discharge rates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There isn't as much wasted as you would think, especially from a sun burst. And it's cold out. Once the panels warm up output drops.

You'd get more clipping now vs august (much hotter!)

It’s a good point and this is one of the reasons that I decided to do ground mount rather roof mounting at home. I have a roof mount system on another property and see the drop off in summer; but from my research I expect this ground mount system will still be capable of consistently generating over the 6kwh that the inverter is rated for. I’ll find out in the summer I suppose.

I have the space to add about another 8 panels without cluttering them on the SW rear roof of the house. I’ll see how I get on after a year of data.

the 18 panels ground mounted are pointing SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

That's interesting. My best quote for an 8.4kwp system includes a 6kw Solis hybrid inverter. I'm probably going to install 2 5.1 dyness batteries so would I better off asking if a sofar inverter could be swapped in for the Solis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Tis getting a little complex for neebies here :) I was one not too many months ago.

Max out the South roof (or whatever roof you have). You can typically can go about 1.5 times more on panels than the inverter can handle. As @graememk says, ‘You'll have a 6kW inverter but 9kW of panels. (Which is now about 24panels)’. And you can go possibly go more than 1.5 times if it’s an E / W split as then aren’t all in the sun at the same time. Make sure the installer checks what is the max for your roof that or can kill the inverter. IE, let them design it.

For most houses, the limit is 6kW on the inverter. Most here have that setup. If you pay ~1k you can get a higher inverter limit (17kw re hotswap). That's via the NC7 form and process to the ESB.

If you want to become a suburban mini power stations 😊, or if you’re a really, really heavy user of juice. More than one EV, run machinery….. Note that you pay tax above €200 from FIT. I'd suggest ignore that for now, get solar setup to a decent size and you can decide to extend in time.

@HotSwap (at the risk of talking for him) works in the electrical trade afaik or has more technically competency than me, and most looking for quotes here. For him optimising as much as possible is important and he's the knowledge to do that and did some of the install himself. Hats off! But most here will lean on the installer for all that - I did and worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got another quote having not had much luck last November & December when the two quotes I got for a small 2.4kwp system were almost 10k installed and that was after the grant.

This one was by a company more associated with installing windows but they did a radio campaign in January for installing solar PV and I emailed them for a quote back then which just arrived today they are that busy. Good news was after sending photos of my roof he said he could get 8 x 420w panels around the Velux window and chimney for a 3.3kwp system rather than the previous quotes of 6 panels/2.4kwp. His quote was 7,100 and on the phone I was hoping the 2,400 grant would be deducted from that and it would come down to 4,700 at which point I likely would have went ahead as 4,700 would represent 1,425 per kwp. But no the 7,100 was net of the grant so total install cost with grant on top was more like 9,500. Net of the grant the quote is 2,150 per kwp.

Not sure whether or not to go back looking for more quotes. I went through the recommended installers list and contacted 6 of them in November and only got those 2 quotes of just under 10k and now this one is similar. Id like to get solar but if the costs have risen so much that the pay back period is going to run into almost 13-15 years then it doesnt feel worth it. It just feels like the starting point of any quote is the company swallowing the entire grant and then quoting you for what the job would cost if the grant system didnt exist at all.

At this stage I might contact a couple of roofing companies and see if they would consider an install and at what cost and then could get an electrician to commission it and forgo the grant system altogether. Can anyone point me to a good website that sells stuff like panels, inverters, optimisors, mounting hardware, Id like to drill down to the costs of hardware so I can then figure out the maximum I can afford on the labour to install it.

I feel your frustration. It's bloody hard to get a decent quote.

There are other options. If doing are not going the grant route, you’ll need roofers and sparks as you say. No idea how you’d get those. But you lose up to 2.4k for the grant. And you’ve no one to contact / take ownership if there are issues.  It’s sadly true the installers have upped prices due to the grant – I have seen that IMO. They would need to know each other, or agree where it all goes, as roofer needs to follow the design from the sparks to connect it all up.

For DIY, look here: Solar PV DIY - Page 2 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'. A flat roof is perfect for DIY. Still need a sparks to connect, but you could do the labour. See have you a flat roof, that gets summer sun, and measure it. Panels are ~1.7m x 1m.

Or got the most basic DIY route and get a small setup for under a grand. Might give something like 2kWp. @bullit_dodger did that on a shed roof and added the list of kit needed for it somewhere. Doesn’t need a sparks or very little of their time it seemed. Just your time for setup. And beauty of that is you can always take it down and sell it on if going for a larger setup in time. Or pass to a family member. Or keep forever more….

Or go for solar as a service and pay a flat monthly fee for 10yrs. Though that costs a lot now, I got a quote for my folks and was high. Muchhhhh higher than people were getting a year ago before Ukraine stuff kicked off. Payback time is the same but the ‘loan’ is to the solar company as such.

Might be worth asking some that didn’t quote in Nov for a quote now. Last year was a mad year for them, so come Winter I reckon they were done and ignored quote requests.

I’d caution on getting a window company to do solar. A roofing company might be different as they have half the trade. Don’t want them learning on the job on your money. If there’s not much difference for a pure solar company, why take the risk. Ok, if they were way cheaper and you spoke to some reference sites and they confirmed how many installs they have done....

I’d ignore batteries for now. They make it optimal if cost isn’t an issue. I don’t have one, but would like one. 

Thanks DC999 for the comprehensive answer. And yeah Im finding it really frustrating, it seems there was a sweet spot to install solar around 2020 when costs of panels came down in price and costs of installation were reasonable and payback periods were maybe 6 or 7 years.. We seem to be far beyond that now and sheer demand is meaning installers have increased prices with the grant being the cherry on top for them.

Sadly DIY isnt an option for me as the roof has a steep pitch. One of the 10k quotes I had was for Solar as a Service, iirc the main company in this space was offering packages at 19.99 a month 12 months back, now the same package is 39.99 a month and more added on for optimisors and more again as they wanted to use a cherry picker for installation whereas other companies didnt. As regards batteries Im definitely ignoring them for now until they drop in price but I would get a hybrid inverter so it is future proofed for a battery later down the line.

Of the four companies who didnt quote me one said I was outside their geograhical range and the other felt my roof was too small for an install. The other two never replied so I might get back to them in case they are less busy now. But I wouldnt hold out much hope if quotes of 2k+ per kwp with the grant entirely swallowed on top now seems to be the new normal. Id be prepared to pay 1,500 per kwp before the grant, anythig higher than that just continues to add years to the pay back period, the maths simply dont stack up IMO.

Would anyone here know if you were to get two roofers for a full day Saturday nixer to do an install what might you expect to pay? Ive no ideas what roofers charge as Ive never hired them.

You mention 'outside their geographical range' for some installers. Wondering if you're on your own plot. Do you have a big garden? If so you can put them on a ground mount and DIY a lot of it. In summer, even a South facing wall will do it. A 90% angle will hurt output in summer (flatter is best in summer as sun is more direct overhead). But could angle from the top of the way down to get a 20+% angle or something like that. Once it's not shaded, the output can be savage as can point due South. Others have done that here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just some prices for comparison, from Leroy Merlin in Spain (apologies for orientation)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

1118 for the 6kwh huawei here ex vat.

2491 for the 5kWh Luna battery module here. Ex vat.

are the prices including vat??

so inverter is a bit more here; and battery a bit less. Unless the prices are including vat; then they are very good. What kinda shop is it?

just ring a few local roofers and explain what your doing; some of them will have installed roof hooks previously.

I got a quote of 400 euro from a roofer to install roof hooks for 16 panels. I was going to mount the rails and panels myself.

I got another quote or 1000 euro to clean the entire roof and apply a moss treatment and also install the hooks for 16 panels. I was going to mount the rails and panels myself here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm in a new build and was trying to get my builder to do it, as the quotes I was getting were stupid. He seemed keen, but seems to have gone cold on it. I've kinda given up for now, in the hope that prices get normal again if Putin stops acting the bollox.

I might even try do it myself/with mates in a year or 2 when I have more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

no small garden unfortunately so its not an option. Ironically enough though not too far from where I live there are a few planning applications in by local farmers to build solar farms. The land around here is mountainous and only useful for sheep so Im guessing theyve figured they can make a better income per acre by going solar

Thanks for the info on your quotes. I wouldnt be gettng up there myself but if I could find a pair of roofers to install 7 or 8 panels for 1,000 quid Id likely be well on my way to doing it cheaper than the SEAI grant route. I need to sit down and workout all the hardware costs, roofing costs and then a sparks to wire and commission it. I actually wouldnt mind paying over the odds for specialist work like this as it would still likely work out cheaper than some of the quotes Ive been getting

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Leroy Merlin is a spanish BandQ/Woodies type range of stores. All prices are vat inclusive

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Road Trip or Ferry to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

How long in an EV😁

• Advertisement

Cable tie a solar panel to the EV roof and you'll be grand, sure :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement