Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traveller culture to be promoted through school curriculum: Posted on BBC website!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

What does this have to do with traveler culture? Plenty of other ethnic groups do things like this, including settled white Irish.

Yes travelers have a high crime rate, but so do plenty of other groups suffering from poverty, early-school leaving, addiction, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, yes, exactly like arrest him, and we know from statistics provided earlier that there’s a very good chance of him being convicted, jailed and serving more time than someone who isn’t a traveller, engaging in the same sort of antisocial and criminal behaviour.

The whole thing around convictions and sentencing and their effectiveness in rehabilitation is probably best done in another thread, but one of the issues with it is that all too often there is no attempt at rehabilitation when they’re locked up, and more often than not it’s the only time a son like the one you describe would see their father, if not the rest of the family like their mother, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, etc… because it runs in families, not as a consequence of biology or the fact that they’re really, really closely genetically related than is far too close for comfort, but because of the fact that it’s part of their victimhood narrative and being unbending to authorities which they refuse to acknowledge have any legitimacy over them.

Prison time solidifies their reputation, not detracts from it. They imagine in the same manner as many people with a martyrdom complex that being sent to prison is something to be proud of, that it’s evidence of them being oppressed for standing up for themselves. It’s an ineffective solution to the problem basically, it does nothing more than exacerbates and encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're completely misrepresenting me seemingly because of some difficulty understanding the meaning of simple sentences but you see fit to condescend to me from that position of weakness.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Sadly, Traveller culture is riven with criminality. There is an obvious tolerance for and glorification of it within that community. This is proven both by statistical fact and the lived experience of all but the most insulated of us.

Perhaps a greater effort to enlighten and encourage that minority as to the necessity of a law abiding cultural outlook would be of wider benefit than the educational policies espoused.

The latter is largely an academic sop while the former would save and improve lives; of Travellers themselves first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

“I don’t hate travellers, however I would challenge anyone to name a single good thing any of them have done.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yeah rinse & repeat ain’t working mate

there’s people going to work & paying tax in jobs that are been harassed by this lad & propert being damaged. Imagine been in their shoes

Travellers & scumbags with multiple convictions are a walking gold mine for the legal profession’s. This is the problem.

Interesting one hear on the rise of neo-nazism in Germany and how they've used fear and hate speech around immigrant crime to further their agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbU54wZsabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The irony of this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Trying a little too hard there Monkie

Don't you know that is settled people or country people dumping their rubbish and the poor travellers being blamed for it. 😉

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement

Here's a few useful short video on the dangers of hate speech, i'd really love if some of the posters here have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNuM6hnXUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFAsmt82mg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could someone give a few examples of traveller culture that has enriched us as a nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is all you are going to get in answer to that bar maybe a reference to the Fureys.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Lowering housing costs. I know an estate in Sligo where several families moved in and the houses were being sold for a fraction of the price a few years later.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If they introduced bare knuckle boxing to schools it might toughen all these soft lads up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So Ukrainians saying that "they're taking over" is hate speech towards Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I'm not expecting many responses. But I have often heard it talked about so much, including by the president, but they always seem to forget to give us examples.

Its a bit like the culture of the orange order and loyalism in the North. Its not culture at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Taught us to fear any nomadic neighbors in the area.

To constantly be weary of any brand new Hiace/Transit/van with a yellow reg.

Gave us the skills to aptly screen for ruffians from booking venues through cute methods like requesting card payment only.

Showed us how not to treat an animal.

Killed the appeal of fake tan due to overdoing it.

Showed us that farm equipment can also be subsituted as lethal weapons.

They teach us how to groom little children into being wives at 15.

God, where would we be without the tinkers.

I don’t have to imagine being in their shoes. I have more experience than I’d ever care for in dealing with scumbags and their scummy behaviour. Travellers aren’t a walking goldmine for the legal profession, nor are scumbags, unless they’re actually wealthy scumbags who can afford the best legal representation, like the rugger buggers who tried to sue the BBC -

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2521628/paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-lose-privacy-case-against-bbc-and-ordered-to-pay-broadcaster-20000-in-legal-costs/amp/

The problem isn’t just that the rinse and repeat isn’t working, the problem is that scumbags get away with scumbag behaviour because they can literally afford to.

Such a condescending, snide and passive-aggressive post. Real smug bang of "I'm so much better than others" when you think you're the opposite.

If there is an overwhelmingly high amount of violence, intimidation, squalour, illegal dumping, theft, scamming, animal abuse, domestic violence prevalent in a group which only comprises a low number, what's wrong with observing this? Are facts hatred? What traveller site do you live close to?

I don't hate travellers as a whole, no. I don't hate any group as a whole. I don't love any group as a whole either. Neither makes sense. Every group has individuals whom I'll like. Every group. I feel sorry for traveller women and children a lot of the time. Having to pop out babies upon babies, having to be married off as teens - like arranged marriage, having to miss out on an education (when they break the mould and get away from that life, superb).

I didn't dismiss anything. I asked a question - would you answer it?

• Advertisement

You seem to take a contrarian view on nearly everything though. The language you used to suggest I wanted the state to impose policies on traveller girls and women was very antagonistic. "Which one of the following articles..." etc when you knew full well I was doing no such thing.

You say you're a conservative when you hold views that are very much at odds with conservatism. And you call me a liberal leftie (I know it wasn't an insult) when I'm not really.

I think you live in opposite land! You do you, but it can be trying.

Attempting to gaslight means various things. Extreme cases are north Korea, then abusive relationships, but it's in everyday interactions too - very much online. Twisting someone's words/outright lying until they're frustrated is an example. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/gaslighting

I can't even acknowledge that as a legitimate question.

I don't feel anyway superior.

Overwhelmingly I feel shock and disgust. I'd always known there was a lot of prejudice towards travelers but to see people writing the things that are said here, publicly and brazenly, is quite horrible. I didn't realise this site had become such a cesspit.

I also feel really sorry for people that think the way you and others here do. It's not healthy. What kind of perception of the world do you have, when you can reduce a smaller and weaker group of fellow humans, to a one dimensional target of your hatred? Is it some twisted reflection of your own self misery and self loathing?

A lot of people here need to choose another path. Let go of hate, open your mind to the idea that it's possible, it really will do you the world of good.

I didn’t know you were doing no such thing because most fundamentally - I can’t read your mind, and from my understanding of where you were coming from, that appeared to be where you were going with the whole idea of support from the State being contingent upon travellers having to take the soup - give up the way of life that you see as negative, and live the way you think would be best for them.

I was trying to suggest that we put your ideas in a realistic context, by asking you directly which one of the two violations of Article 8 would you like the State to impose specifically on travellers first? Because that’s the only way your ideas could or would be applied, in return for support from the State, and I was trying to show you that they would immediately constitute a violation of human rights. That’s what I meant by an attempt to impose your ideas on travellers.

If I’d known we were just spitballing, then that’s an entirely different matter and I would have known not to take your ideas seriously. I take your ideas seriously in the first place because I imagine you do actually give a shìt about whatever the discussion happens to be about.

If there is an overwhelmingly high amount of violence, intimidation, squalour, illegal dumping, theft, scamming, animal abuse, domestic violence prevalent in a group which only comprises a low number, what's wrong with observing this? Are facts hatred? What traveller site do you live close to?

There isn’t though, and stating the above is not a fact, it’s an opinion, and it’s misleading to present the behaviours you’re describing in such a way as to convey the idea that they are behaviours solely observed among travellers when they are not. It’s employing an association fallacy. Each of those behaviours on their own are by far and away more common among people who are not travellers, solely by virtue of the fact that travellers only constitute 0.07% of the Irish population, and the issues you’re describing are far more widespread than even if every traveller engaged in those sorts of behaviours, they still wouldn’t come anywhere near to the number of people who aren’t travellers who engage in those sorts of behaviours.

It amounts to hatred when it becomes clear that the person is more interested in associating those behaviours with travellers, than they are the least bit interested or concerned with eradicating the actual behaviour which is pervasive in Irish society as a whole.

Fortunately for the people who espouse that point of view, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. The benefit of the doubt is a fundamental principle in Common Law conceived by William Blackstone, a Conservative, that became known as “Blackstones Ratio”:

It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Others prefer to take the opposite view -

Authoritarian personalities tend to take the opposite view. According to the Communist defector, Jung Chang, similar reasoning was deployed during the uprisings in Jiangxi, China in the 1930s: "Better to kill a hundred innocent people than let one truly guilty person go free," and during uprisings in Vietnam in the 1950s: "Better to kill ten innocent people than let a guilty person escape." Similarly in Cambodia, Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge adopted a similar policy: "better arrest an innocent person than leave a guilty one free." Wolfgang Schäuble referenced this principle while saying that it is not applicable to the context of preventing terrorist attacks. Former American Vice President Dick Cheney said that his support of American use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" against suspected terrorists was unchanged by the fact that 25% of CIA detainees subject to that treatment were later proven to be innocent, including one who died of hypothermia in CIA custody. "I'm more concerned with bad guys who got out and released than I am with a few that in fact were innocent." Asked whether the 25% margin was too high, Cheney responded, "I have no problem as long as we achieve our objective. ... I'd do it again in a minute."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone%27s_ratio

Without knowing the purpose of your pointing out what you refer to as facts, there is simply no way of knowing what your point is, because on their own, they don’t just not mean much, they mean nothing. That is the whole point of giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I asked a question - I don't know why you won't answer it. It should be easy to. Whatever way you wish to interpret it, it is genuine.

I don't believe you when you say you feel shock and disgust - I think you are getting a kick out of telling people repeatedly that they are hate-filled (along with other insults) and getting to feel superior with it. You are ignoring and dismissing and disregarding so much.

I don't think you feel sorry for any of us either - nor should you.

What kind of view "of the world"? Nobody's talking about "the world" - this is about traveller society. You are pretending that people are just saying "I hate travellers" full stop. Whereas people are writing long posts about the many serious issues that disproportionately affect traveller society. Nobody is saying absolutely every traveller engages in same, but many many do, for such a small group. And nobody is saying the issues are ONLY found among travellers, but it's a matter of prevalence. And many of this group are far from "weak". What horrible things are being said? Observations are horrible? I don't think you know much in this regard at all. You seem to just have a Pollyanna-ish outlook that every minority is vulnerable and beyond criticism.

So many perfectly level-headed contributors to this thread share my view - now maybe that's an indication that there's a kernel of truth. Or are we all just horrible people badmouthing and coming up with false stories and conclusions for the laugh? Why are you ignoring or misrepresenting these views/experiences?

On what basis are you diagnosing people as being self loathing and miserable? That's completely without foundation - it's just yet another dig. What halting site do you live near? Even OEJ acknowledges all of the overwhelming problems, much caused by self entitlement. On the one hand, there's objections to travellers being marginalised. On the other, they WISH to be marginalised (therefore they are the ones who distinguish themselves from settled society, hence spoken of separately) - choosing to take children out of school far too early. I'm not responsible for that practice. I fully agree with supports for travellers, but also meeting halfway.

The last part reminds me of Homer saying "Love, Marge - don't hate, love" when he gets it into his head that she hates Flanders but she doesn't. Very condescending and disingenuous. It's not hate to see patterns. It is hate to condemn absolutely every traveller. Nobody's doing that. They'd get banned.

Why did you ignore this bit when you went on your faux outrage tirade? "I don't hate travellers as a whole, no. I don't hate any group as a whole. I don't love any group as a whole either. Neither makes sense. Every group has individuals whom I'll like. Every group. I feel sorry for traveller women and children a lot of the time. Having to pop out babies upon babies, having to be married off as teens - like arranged marriage, having to miss out on an education (when they break the mould and get away from that life, superb)."

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You can't read my mind so you can't have known that I was angling for the government to impose policies on travellers.

Absolutely nobody has said that such crimes are exclusive to travellers.

There isn't a disproportionately high amount of them in traveller society? Are you sure? What about prison stats indicating how high their representation is?

No, I can’t have known that, and the point I was making is that’s the only way it could be done, and even then it wouldn’t be done because it would constitute a violation of human rights. I wasn’t trying to get at you or anything else, and when you explained your idea about role models, I understood better what you meant, but that didn’t have anything to do with anything being contingent upon receiving support from the State. It was an entirely different approach.

I’m certain of it.

What about the prison stats indicating how high their representation is? Of the prison population, travellers constitute about 8%, the other 92% of prison inmates aren’t travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

You'll find travellers are causing this type of Mayhem in towns & Villages all over Ireland- Destroying life for the law abiding & laughing at fools like you who make excuses for them !

• Advertisement

I've heard the term 'echo chamber' used a lot to describe the type of interaction people have with sites such as this.

It seems you've decided that if hateful content is shared amongst like minded users here, and not flagged within this site, that makes it ok?

I've already shared EU guidelines on what constitutes hate speech. Here's our own, soon to be updated, legislation on the matter.

it is an offence to communicate threatening, abusive or insulting material that is intended, or likely to, “stir up” hatred against a group of people because of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation.

I fail to see how defining the travelling community as culturally inferior, criminal, or having 'achieved nothing positive' could not meet this criteria.

The only reason I can imagine this is being flaunted so openly is that we have a very poor prosecution record in this matter. It would seem that since 1989 we have only 50 prosecutions for this offence. I would hope that with the introduction of the new legislation a firmer approach will be taken, especially considering the awful proliferation of online hate content such as that displayed here.

I note some of your recent posts contain token qualifiers, along the lines of 'not all traveler are criminals' or 'I don't hate all travelers'. It's hard to take this seriously when you repeatedly spout hateful generalizations and accusations. Are you trying to make what you say more palatable to yourself or others?

I didn't not comment on whether individual travelers are weak or strong. As a group they make up a tiny part of our community, have a history of marginalization, and it seems are accepted as 'fair game' when it comes to hate speech. I question whether some sense of self-pity or self-hatred is involved because what's displayed here towards travelers as a group, strikes may as similar to how insecure children might pick on smaller and weaker ones.

I'd like to believe everyone has to capacity to change and leave the type of hate displayed here behind. I think you and others here are capable of more, and would be better and healthier yourselves for it. Do yourself a favour and ignore what the echo chamber says, look at those definitions of hate speech given by the EU and in law. How could your posts that travelers are culturally inferior, or have achieved nothing ever, not meet these? It might help get beyond your blindness, if you substituted another ethnic group in place of travelers when reflecting on your words.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Advertisement