Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Frawley brought in though, so potentially Byrne 10, Crowley 22 and Frawley as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Frawley is in for Osborne at 12/ utility back..

If there was any doubt about sexton carberry would have been retained too.

Glad to see frawley back in the mix.

Centre us going to be an interesting selection process for the world cup.

Probably bring 4 centres.

If fit, Ringrose and Henshaw are certs.

Mccloskey looks to have the 3rd seat on the plane.

And you could say the 4th seat comes down to a shootout between Aki, JoB, Frawley and Osborne.

Aki has been a mainstay of the panel but his lack of versatility may go against him when the panel is reduced to 33. He didn't go great at 13.

He is not a guaranteed starter at 12 or even 2nd choice as we have seen when henshaw is out. So for me personally I'd bring one of the other players would could fit in at multiple positions over a player who looks to be the 3rd choice 12.

While I'm not saying Frawley is a better 12 than Aki. Sexton is going to get injured at some stage in the WC. Having Frawley in the panel makes sense incase for example byrne or crowley pick up a late injury in a warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Frawley is similar to Crowley, I'd say it's not a straight swap for Osborne, Henshaw back means no need to replace Osborne, so bringing in Frawley and releasing Carbery is probably more because neither will have any chance of being involved in the match-day 23, and wants to see more of Frawley.

This is how I'd expect the squad is currently viewed by Farrell:

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong,

Ryan, Henderson,

O'Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,

Gibson-Park, Sexton,

Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

Replacements: Kelleher, Kilcoyne, O'Toole, Baird, Conan, Murray, Byrne, McCloskey.

Wider Squad: (HK) Herring, (LHP) Healy, (THP) Salanoa, (Lock) Treadwell, (8) Coombes, (6) Prendergast, (7) Timoney, (SH) Casey, (OH) Crowley, Frawley, (Centre) Aki, (Back Three) O'Brien, Larmour, Stockdale.

Id say you are not far off the panel set up there.

Not certain JGP comes straight back in To start.

Also would prefer to see JOB or Larmour on the bench over mccloskey to have a look at them but Farrell really likes the option of a centre on the bench so I'd imagine he will go with McCloskey

The fact that Aki was seen as versatile enough to go in at 13 whilst usually playing 12 possibly impacts McCloskeys selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Heading over to Edinburgh early Saturday morning. Anyone that has done this trip before have any tips for which bars the majority of fans will congregate in? Also, any good suggestions where to watch the other two games on the Saturday?

Yeah, but important to remember that Farrell’s original selection for the Italian game was Aki over McCloskey at 12. I don’t think there’s enough there to say McCloskey has climbed ahead of Bundee in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The three sisters is a good spot to catch the games on Saturday, big fan zone with lots of screens. Not sure about anywhere near Murrayfield for Sunday.

Potentially but personally id put a bit more weight behind starting 12 v France over starting 12 v Italy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

on sunday morning Dropkick Murphys is having a Q and A with CJ Stander in their fan zone at 11am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry what?!? The Dropkick Murphys? As in Ken Casey and the lads from Boston?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

shippin' them up......

yeah the Dropkick Murphys are playing an impromptu gig at 11am with CJ Stander as the guest vocalist and main crowd stomper

may not be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If it's a decent day on Sunday, take a walk out from the city to the stadium, plenty of bars and hotels along the route.

Fans will congregate in any of the Irish pubs (there are lots) and the Three Sisters as mentioned above will be absolutely rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

im not a massive fan of aki but to be fair to him i dont think the italy game was the best indication of his ability to play 13. id imagine his time training there wasnt that much since Ringrose dropped out late and the teams defensive system is very reliant on 13

having said that i dunno how locked into the squad he is/should be. he'll probably go (12) with mccloskey (12), henshaw (12/13) and ringrose (13) but maybe they'll go with only one dedicated 12 and go with 6 halfbacks since crowley can cover 12

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aki is also used to playing with a 10 who can cover more space than Byrne who has a mobility problem. He's very slow. Ringrose and Henshaw know about this so they adjust for it, but Aki probably hasn't played beside Byrne too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its unlikely to be a decent day for fans.

Central Scotland will get a lot of snow tomorrow into Friday and another dumping from somewhere around Saturday afternoon until early Sunday.

If the match goes ahead and anyone is travelling and their flight goes ahead, your best bet would be to start making for the Ground as early as possible on Sunday.

I think Farrell will be willing to carry one extra centre in the squad because of how often he picks a dedicated centre as his 23rd man. He seems to accept the risk of needing to move a centre onto the wing so he can freshen up the midfield during the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

My own take is that I think Farrell will still go with 4 centres, and I think it's extremely like that AKi will be one of them.

Completely agree on your last point; and it's been increasingly trending that way. Since the start of the 6 Nations last year, he's picked a dedicated centre in the 23 jersey in 11 out of 14 games. (The other 3 times, he's picked Earls orJOB, 2 guys who at least have some experience at centre and can fill in at a push).

I think it makes sense tbh. We've recently seen all of Henshaw (Fiji), McCloskey (SA) and Ringrose (NZ 2nd Test) have to be replaced in the first half. Whereas I can't recall too many times where one of Keenan, Hansen or Lowe had to go off injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thinks lads like Frawley, Osbourne and JOB aren't far from simply being better players outright than McCloskey and Aki. Almost wish there was another half season or so for them to gain the exposure to push ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Apart from injury I can’t see Aki not making the plane. Other than Italy where he was moved out of position last minute. He’s never really had a bad game for Ireland. Discipline is the only real issue that could count against him. If we take 4 centers and we most likely will. Baring injury or will be Ringrose, Aki, Henshaw and big Stu at this stage.

• Advertisement

I think having Gary Ringrose available allows ireland to pick a centre on the bench. When he has not been available( v Italy and NZ) and out of the 23 it's Earls or Jo'B on the bench.

If Rignrose is out sunday for example and Stuart is 12 and Henshaw is 13. I'm not sure Aki is 23.

I think you're on the ball. Since the start of the 6 Nations last year, any time Ringrose has been available there's a centre in the 23 jersey 10 times vs a winger once.

And even that 1 was JOB vs SA, where (I think) McCloskley was named in the 23 jersey until Henshaw got injured.

I reckon that Farrell would back a fit Henshaw - crosses fingers - to cover the back three too.

I think it's easy to underestimate the value the coaching team put on bulk and raw power at 12. All of Henshaw, Aki, and McCloskey are powerful men who bring 5-10Kg more to the pitch. Sometimes you just need need a big enough man in that channel to narrow good defenses. Once the rest of their skills are good enough it becomes a huge plus.

I think Osborne will have a long future ar centre. The WC squad probably came a season too soon for him.

JOB is a great option in every other outside back position but he isn't heavy enough to be an international 12.

Frawley needs a run of fitness and some consistent selection so he can find his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I am impressed at how McCloskey has done. Sometimes a big bullocking center can be a ace in the hand. What's striking about McCloskey is that it's usually 2 lads or Sometimes 3 lads to bring him down, leaving the defensive line stretched.

At inside center we are doing well. It's hard to remember a time when there was 3 options like we have now. After these boys, there's a drop off in talent, unsurprisingly.

I re-watched the France game recently; McCloskey had an absolutely brilliant game, especially defensively. Himself and Aki bring a level of physicality to the 12 shirt that other options being mentioned liked Frawley and JOB won't ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right! It's hard to play that kind of game. Maybe Schmidt was looking for something similar when he move Coughlan into the backline.

McCloskey is like a back row in physicality. He brings a strength to the carries. Aki also, although Aki is a threat to pinch a turnover. I would have liked to see Chris Farrell play at 12 for Munster. He also has the same attributes.

I think Hume could be looked at at inside center. He's not as big but he's pack and a strong lad. Of course, post world cup.

McCloskey himself actually got one huge turnover around our 5m vs France too. Not something I would've necessarily associated with him, but fair play to him, he's really taken his chance since coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Agreed. He's done really well since he got back in the squad after rendering himself permanently unselectable by refusing to be part of an Ireland squad, so he could nstead travel to Europe to follow the Northern Ireland football team in the Euros (c) this forum several years ago.

• Advertisement

Johnny Sexton needs 8 points to beat O'Gara's record as top Six Nations points scorer. He needs 40 between now and whenever he retires to become Ireland's all time top points scorer.

If he gets either / both I suspect they'll never be beaten.

Advertisement