Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Zero.

I've said it on thread already, I believe we should be returning any Russians that are already here. The "not political" cohort can suffer the consequences of their apathy towards their country's criminality (and worsen it's economic situation when they arrive in need of housing, welfare etc.) and, given our own history of rebellion and the expertise in counter-terrorism within our defence forces, I'd imagine our defence forces could put together some pretty good training in insurgency for those who genuinely oppose Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I seem to remember a lot of Russian lies and excuses being trotted out about this kind of thing once upon a time.

Russia blatantly attacks the power grid Zaporizhzhia NPP is connected to.

“The last power line between the occupied Zaporizhzhia NPP and the Ukrainian power system was cut off as a result of rocket attacks,” operator Energoatom confirmed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Never been, no. I try to avoid supporting terrorist regimes with my recreational travel.

If elections are rigged and protests are ignored (or quashed), there's an obvious next step: full scale rebellion. Given that the demographics of the Russians fleeing to live in our more civilised Western world skew towards the college educated young, it shouldn't be that hard to help out such a rebellion with a million or more men of fighting age by sending them home (preferably armed and trained).

Any Russian who considers himself a patriot should be dying in the streets of Moscow fighting the criminals in charge of his own country instead of pillaging, raping and murdering his way across Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Advertisement

Not sure if the SAMP/T and Patriot systems have arrived in Ukraine yet,and when they do,they will be placed around the most critical infrastructure for sure.

And i think Russians knows this too,imagine the propaganda if a kinzhal missile was shot down.

Not good for business

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

"imagine the propaganda if a kinzhal missile was shot down."

Kinzhal missile successfully intercepted a missile launched from a patriot AD system - Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because Putler doesn't give a rats, and could care less about Donetsk and Luhansk? Only Crimea has some strategic value.

As being caught red handed, I'm sure you, or your other account that just joined to spam, can share the link? As I recall, the shelling of the nuclear site was done by.... wait for it... RuZZia. They were of course invading the place. You do know RuZZia invaded, right?

You might want to inform your handlers that we recognize you bots for what you are. Might as well just create your new accounts as 'OrwellRoadLackey##', save all of us including yourselves the time.

Stop and think for a minute why Russia is under investigation for 40k+ war crimes,uses convicts in human wave attacks and have taken 140k locals in Donbass regions in forced mobilizations to the frontline as canonfodder.

Does this sound like a leadership that cares if a nuclear powerplant have a meltdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

You mean the magic missiles, making a 180 degree turn at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia has systematically attacked and shelled and threatened nuclear power stations in Ukraine with little regard for safety.

They are repeatedly hitting energy infrastructure which powers nuclear power stations - with no regard for the consequences.

They've even openly discussed nuking Ukraine.

Does it really need to be spelt out in any more obvious terms?

Lol yeah something like that it would sound like,most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The SAMP/T system is due to be delivered in the next few weeks (start of Feb France/Italy said 7-8 weeks). No update on The Patriot system yet.

Yeah thats what i thought,its not there yet

I am sure we will know once they arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They can fly them now, sure, but can they do what they want to be able to do? No.

I am just passing on what I have read the Ukrainians say themselves as to why they want more modern western aircraft. The first is the AA radars, targeting and tracking are vastly more advanced and sophisticated, meaning they get a large edge on the SU-34 and their ilk, so when it comes to providing air cover, they can do a better job with a greater chance of survival. At the moment they are seriously outclassed with 1980's era SU-27s up against a couple decades younger SU-32s and 35s. The other feature is the hugely superior ground attack and target designation systems which would hugely improve their ground attack and fire suppression capabilities.

The big killer feature is they can carry and deploy a very wide range of sophisticated western munitions and exploit those to their full capabilities. You can't retrofit all of the capabilities and firing/targeting requirements of these munitions to Mig-29s. They have managed to cobble together a basic way to get HARM and JDAMs to work, but they can't be used to their full capabilities because the systems in the cockpit and electronics bay simply aren't there.

I shall see if I can find an explanation the UAF representative gave on a Telegram channel, that I read. The way he put it made it out to be a clear chalk and cheese difference.

Here's the thing. I have said multiple times that people in the west should stop telling Ukraine what it bloody needs - condescending or what? They are not stupid; they have just as many aviation mil nerds and geeks as we do and their pilots have been training with US pilots for nearly 30 years.

In 2018 the US and UA held a joint exercise called Clear Sky. Over 40 aircraft and all their support crew took part - in Ukraine. This is well worth a look and might give a sense as to the Ie Ukrainians know what western aircraft, systems and weapons can do:

A Ukrainian pilot being shown an F-15C

At the start of this war, the youngest of Ukraine's jets was built in 1991.

It's as if I were to write out your families shopping list for the week and you had to cook and eat what I chose for you.

The Ukrainians know that it will take 3 months to get operational at a basic level and 6 months to become really proficient, but it's still what they want and are asking for. You, me, Gen Miley, Stoltenberg - no one in the West knows better than the Ukrainians what they need. They are the worlds greatest experts on combat operations against Orc forces. Even US pilots have said they know more than them when it comes to flying against Orc fighter jets.

So saying more of the same - Mig-29s - is the best thing for Ukraine, is simply wrong. A Polish Mig-29 is not somehow magically better against an SU-35.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Jesus, you're not even going to try to hide your affiliation are you?

"Absorbed into Russia" "100% part of Russia". Are you being paid in Crypto, or in Rubles so you can head down to the corner shop afterwards to get your daily ration of "Victory Gin"?

You remember last year at the same country the Russians where caught red handed trying to erase a nation and systematiclly rape & murder civilians in the process? I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing in that say's they have actually recruited and deployed afghans to Ukraine or elsewhere

No they weren't. This is just lies and Russian propaganda and now we have more.

Russia sent its own troops through Chernobyl radioactive zone unprotected, exposing them to dangerous levels. I guess they didn't "stop and think" for a minute? Well?

Russia were the one caught with military assets inside the power plant and shelling the supporting infrastructure connected to the plant, to TRY to disconnect it from the grid. We have seen how little Russia values the lives of its own soldiers, cannon fodder, or ethnic Russians in Ukraine which it sees as political pawns and nothing more. Vastly more of those ethnic Russians have died during Russia's "protection" of them than ever died during all the years of the supposed terrible oppression of them by Ukraine. That's Russian protection for you.

Russia launched attacks against Ukraine's energy grid in the last 24 hours. Yes?

How do you expect Ukraine to keep power electric flowing to the plant when Russia launches attacks on Ukraine's grid?

At least nine people have been killed and power at Europe's largest nuclear plant has been lost after Russia launched missiles across Ukraine.

Russia-installed officials in the Moscow-controlled part of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia region said the halt in electricity supplies to the power station from Ukrainian-held territory was "a provocation". Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said it was "a difficult night", after Russia resumed its "wretched tactics". He said energy systems were being restored and all services were working after the "massive" rocket attack struck critical infrastructure and residential buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

A group of wealthy definitely not government Ukrainian strangers evaded the military scrutiny of NATO controlled Baltic (in a large naval exercise no less) and destroyed the Nordstream pipelines. Also Russia shells nuclear reactors in it's annexed territory as well constantly shelling Doneskt city.

You don't seem to understand the implications of shelling the grid and infrastructure that supports the plant versus the plant directly.

Explains why you seem to fall for their propaganda so readily.

Russia has already demonstrated its utter disregard for civilian life in Ukraine, whether they are nominally pro-Russian or not.

It does Mach 10-12.

To compare, the AIM-54 Phoenix missiles that the U.S. military has retired were also capable of reaching speeds of Mach 4.3. With a much larger solid fuel rocket motor, it is hardly surprising that Kinzhal can travel to Mach 10

The US modified the AIM-54 to intercept satellities in low orbit and it's speed was increased to greater than Mach 5. The kinzahal is more than double the length of an AIM-54 and its warhead payload is greter than the entire weight of the AIM-54.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You are another expert who knows more about what Ukraine needs than Ukrainiane's top military. I was just relaying what the Ukraians have said, so your smart derision of me is a derision of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think the continued strikes on Ukrainian civilians from deep inside russia and the Black sea must give the green light for improving the long range strike capabilities for Ukraine. NATO needs to let russia know it will no longer restrain itself from providing the longer ranged attack systems when these types of terrorist actions continue. Saw a report from the early hours of the morning on reddit saying the russian aircraft were airborne and an attack imminent. Fighter aircraft with long range antiaircraft missiles and long range missiles to hit russian military bases from where these attacks are being launched should now be a priority for Ukraine. Russians hitting the electric grid of Ukraine when it could start a nuclear meltdown in Europe's largest nuclear power plant is enough of a reason for this to happen now.

All of the MiGs undergoing modernization are said to receive the new avionics by the end of next year.

The scope of modernization includes changing the analog avionics to digital ones, including new mission planning computer and data bus, to which additional devices may be connected.

Furthermore, the mechanical gyro is replaced with a laser system. Digital map and MFD (Multi-Function Display) are features of the programme.

https://theaviationist.com/2013/03/18/polish-fulcrums/

I see no mention of any radar improvements, would you have a link for that?

This site suggests the Polish Mig-29s still have the 1980's era Phazotron N019 Rubin Radar radars: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/mig-29-pl.htm

The modifications that have been made to the Polish Mig-29s mean that Ukrainian pilots would have a several months retraining requirement so the supposed jump in and fly advantage doesn't exist, making far more capable western fighters still the better choice because the capabilities at the end of the training period would be far greater.

As noted by a leading Polish defense expert Juliusz Sabak (Defence24), in Polish MiG-29s “altitude is displayed in feet, distance in miles and speed in knots. Russian standards, used also in Ukrainian aviation, are meters, kilometers and kilometers per hour.

When it comes to training, even pilots flying the Ukrainian MiG-29 would need no less than a few months to get used to NATO’s MiGs.

Moreover, it would be necessary not only to train pilots, but also to replace on-board equipment, including with new communication and IFF (Identification Friend-or-Foe) systems, which would have to compatible with Ukrainian standards.

Probably the first aircraft and crews could be ready not be ready earlier than in 2-3 months.

https://defense.info/global-dynamics/2022/03/a-polish-perspective-on-the-mig-29-issue/

Again the Baltics continue to impress. As promised Latvia are now taking seized cars from drunk drivers and sending them to Ukraine (to be used by Ukr military and hospitals)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

2 massive ships of weapons were delivered from Iran, including 100million rounds of ammo, plus missiles and drones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement