Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Did I hear that right, thunder in North Kildare?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: let's keep it civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

All we need now is to lose about 8c more and have any actual precipitation from the wrap around reach us and we will be laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Been a real miserable day here In Ashbourne. Precip of a Wintry mix generally. I'm all for cold snaps/ spells and snow but not this rubbish. Hopefully can get some decent snowfall later but at the end of the day it's just March muck. The dying embers of winter . Days like today make me look forward to some pleasant spring weather whenever it will arrive.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭piplip87

Snow still falling here, I'd reckon it's snowed fairly constantly since around midnight, unfortunately not enough pep in it to accumulate melting as soon as it hits the ground.

Its a bit like the time I brought an absolute stunner home and realised I had no protection just as things where getting hot and heavy.

It's lovely to look at but no action 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭squonk

Snow back in North Clare 30m ASL. Full on sideways snow in a brisk wind. Don’t see anything accumulating just yet but could week get messy later if it Metis this up. Add in an overnight freeze and it’ll be treacherous in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I’m at the base of Three Rock 123 asl. Was sleet earlier but nothing but heavy rain here for hours. Mountain is completely shrouded in cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Temps on a slow rise in Waterford City today, up to 6.2c now with 13.5 mm of rain. Humidity 96%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just viewed my ring doorbell and it's snowing at home but not really sticking , as for firhouse nada ,I have noticed more snow melted on the mountains so pockets of warm air in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Blimey.....keep it in Monaghan ...it's getting too close for comfort now! (Louth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I did the same earlier during the heavier burst. All that was missing was that lovely crunching sound underfoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Pretty sure we're neighbours! Just back from glencullen and the difference between Sandyford and there is unreal.

Winter wonderland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A few snowflecks ( not flakes) on my black sleeve when I went to the gate... howling wind spattering something now.. Maybe by morning...

So many lovely photos... Thank you

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

So am I right in saying that for Dublin, this is probably going to be a non-event?

I have important matters to be attending to tomorrow morning, and I need to be sure that the roads will be okay. Otherwise, I will need to ake alternative arrangements.

Can somebody please give me a definitive answer so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Longing

The place is white just in 30mins since last post also starting to stick to the road. Really notice the drop in air temp. S Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

There's an orange warning for Dublin for snow / ice. Definitive enough?

Yes, but the language of the Met Office is vague. They say "Significant accumulations of snow are expected in some areas by morning along with icy conditions"

Some areas? Does this mean all orange counties get significant accumulations? Or some areas in orange counties?

It is very ambiguous - therefore I am calling upon the technical people here to please clarify. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I think that an Orange warning being in place for Dublin should give you enough insight to possible disruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

There are folks far more knowledgeable than me on here and I'll let them speak for themselves. My view is the last 48 hours or so have been now-casting, all the weather models have struggled to pin down precisely what will happen. I've no reason to think tonight will be any different, and there is no chance of anyone saying where it will snow and how much, and certainly not will it snow in your garden.

Charts posted further up this thread about an hour ago show upper temperatures dropping quickly and significantly so don't be influenced by the fact it's raining now.

If you're in Sandymount and driving to city centre I'm gonna stick my neck out and say you're grand. If you're in Glencullen and driving to Ballinteer, then you're far more likely to be goosed.

They can't. If Met E are unsure, no one here can do better. And what exactly do you mean by "non event" anyway. Is that no snow, only a couple of cm of snow, etc.

Obviously weather doesn't know boundaries so of course you an have a situation where there is snow in one part of the county and not in others. The path the front takes will decide if you get precipitation or not, but then whether it falls as snow (let alone sticks) depends on loads of issues subjective to you including proximity to the sea, direction of the wind at the relevant time, altitude, soil temperature, whether you are in the shadow of any upland areas, etc. That's ever before considering the macro issues that dictate this including temperature, dew points, upper air temperature, intensity of the precipitation, etc, etc.

I'd say right now that if you aren't within 2km of the coast and you are in Dublin then your chances of more than 2cm of snow sticking tonight are ca. 60%. Weather is chaos theory in action so its just too difficult to be more specific than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gone much heavier in Galway city now and sticking to roads and footpaths finally.

This sounds very bullish about east coast snow. Has to say it if its what is advised but he will get it in the neck if there's little snow...

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2023/0309/1361133-weather-warnings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Snow has started to lie here in Galway but its still very intermittent, looks like there is less precipitation forecast for tonight than previously expected and it ends before midnight, the freeze in the morning with -4 possible for my area will be interesting.

Thanks for the above posts - very helpful. Appreciate you both taking the time to respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Didn't stop snowing all day but with no great outcome in Roscommon....not a whole pile sticking. The last half hour though the wind has seriously picked up and I presume it's gotten colder so there is the beginning of some mighty drifting going on. More stickiness please!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Heavy snowfall in kilmovee co mayo last few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely lashing driving rain in Kildare now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

In Leopardstown/Stepaside (93 ASL). Just heavy rain and sleet all day. I don't think temperatures are going to get down low enough for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

West Wicklow will do quite well, for me Brittas-Blessington(200m+)area will do very well as it always likes the NE winds. Intensity after midnight will dictate how much lying snow there will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭thomasj

The orange snow warning in Dublin is for tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement