Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Brutal evening in NCD, driving rain, 3 degrees, force 7 northeasterly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperature and DP on the way down at Howth. Down 0.5c in the last 40 minutes. Think it's the best bellwether for Dublin given it's exposure to onshore winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

It shouldn’t be the main headline IMO. If it was a red warning, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

That rain is incessant.

2⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice snow now in Galway city.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

MY CLOSING COMMENTS, what a missed opportunity to get a feel of what it is like to live at 50 degrees north latitude, the entire house chilled by a relentless north east wind ,all a month too late, possibly one of the most pathetic climates in the northern hemisphere, and all the models, met eireann and the boards.ie forecast got it wrong. roll on summer. hopefully in the future AI technology will put us out of our misery, its the hope thats devastating.

continous wet slop.

Met erireann are an atrocious national service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus at 5pm there was snow just starting to settle in Galway city, had a look out there and the place is white. Good few cm's accumulating now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just light rain and sleet in Sligo. 150m seems to be the snowline here as fields across from house have snow on them but it's very light.

Not 12cm but more like 0.5cm

They should have a moratorium on weather forecasting in this country when there's snow as nobody knows anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I think we are bunched here on Dublins east coast. Not expecting much. Might get in the car later and drive up the mountains to build a snowman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

Hopefully that incessant rain will turn to incessant snow for you.

Really hope the snow keeps falling when it hits Dublin later tonight. It would be great if it took its time to clear and we ended up with a good few centimetres to wake up to in the morning.

• Advertisement

Hopefully get some reports of snow starting in Dublin from 9pm

Howth could well luck out with SLEET, as wind is very stubborn to lose its easterly component.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

See some sleet now mixed in now in north Co Dublin. Window method 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

@Kermit_de_frog , fair to say Howth will get nothing but rain overnight? I'm a little bit up the hill so still keeping a wee bit of hope alive!

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Heavy sleet an hr ago in the NW none of it stuck. Hopefully we’ll have better luck later!

Precip intensity is key, that's what's causing those on northern periphery of front to report sleet, hopefully turn to snow for those that want it in those regions before it clears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's turning more to rain here now. Plus netweather has rain forming on the Western side now.

The mild air wins again.

Snow settling nicely in Galway. If we get a few more hours of this we'd be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Precipitation weakening, I think it's too little too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So a trip to Galway city would be a bad idea??? Just about to head in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah, i dont remember an evening this bad over the winter, its rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Drove from Dublin to kerry this afternoon. Rain and some sleet but the roads were clear.

Unlike this morning which was treacherous from Castleisland to kildare. I passed the Jack knived trucks between templeglantine and Newcastle west. I'm glad I missed it. Was like a slalom course getting past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Snowing in Co Longford and sticking too

I was thinking that too. Still a very good day In Galway. I haven't seen that much falling snow in many years. Just a pity it did not stick more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Wind really picking up too, could be an epic night of snow and could be snow good at all, we shall see…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Alot of snow in mullingar now

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The heaviest snow since midnight is now falling. Just shy of 11cm. Biggest snowfall in five years here. Expecting some pretty low temps tonight when this passes.

Mid Clare, 150m above sea level

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Not overly hopefully for Dublin myself. Mostly fear of the front dying off in a significant way so there's not enough intensity to help us along later, as we need an appreciable drop in temperature at least in north county.

Seen it before with these stalling fronts, the pivot can kill them. The western portion of the precip., out over Connaught and Munster has notably weakened in the last two hours and every 5 minutes on radar it continues to contract/weaken as it starts to move back on itself. I'd worry the remaining front does something similar as it starts to wrap around and pull back south. On the East coast we are very much relying on a sizeable band of precip to survive later tonight and deliver the goods. Anything light and I don't see the ground cooling enough to allow any sort of covering.

A general comment on the model accumulation charts. They are 99/100 nonsense. A lot of them assume everything that falls, sticks (it appears at least?) - reality is a totally different scenario and lots of factors can prevent that from happening.

Still think there'll be some sweet spots who will see further accumulations this evening and make a proper event of it.

EDIT: At the same time re: the radar, hard to know what is happening. It looks completely off again on both Met E and Netweather. It's like Shannon can't detect as well as Dublin? Using NetWeather as the different key makes it easier to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still looks like a major event to come for the midlands and East. Several hours of snow perhaps and as its dark now quite a bit will start to stick. Perhaps a red warning possible yet for the East.

For Cork the ppn will be almost gone before the cold arrives here tonight so the main threat for us will be black ice which of course can be worse to drive on than any snow!! The gfs gives us another chance tomorrow evening, though other models don't really agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heavy driving rain with snow mixed in where i live, yet there is a hill about 1 km away in front of the house, snow white, its 15 metres higher then what we are, its incredible, so near and yet so far away 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

@Kermit.de.frog , I take it this will be all rain overnight for Howth? I'm a wee bit up the hill.....are my chances of snow dead?

D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement