Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Claire Byrne shocked the nation when she stepped away in 2022".

Get in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I said this in another thread a few weeks back...

Lets say Duffy's fees (paid for and declared by RTE) were a certain amount in the past. To avoid these fees having to be declared now, a particular show/series gets farmed out to an external production company instead of RTE. The same fees go to Duffy, only it's hidden now because it becomes buried in a farmed out programme cost (which we are not privy to)

...and there it is, happening right in front of our eyes. A programme/series is farmed out to a indi company, Byrne gets her fees paid by the indi company and those fees won't show up when RTE declares the 2023 figs but RTE (aka us) have paid for it. I think the reason it had to be done at VM studios is so it is completely free of RTE involvement bar stumping up the cash - Just think about that - RTE paid our money to use another studio (as theirs lay unused) so they could complete this slight of hand

Quiz show contestants:-

episode 1 - Michael Harding, Conor Pope, Luke O'Neill, mammy Baz, Eoin McGee

episode 2 - Jen Hogan, Hugh Wallace, Dr Shane Bergin, Eoin Corry, Diarmaid Ferriter

episode 3 - Francis Brennan, Conor Faughnan, Aifric O'Connell, Kieran McCarthy, Anton Savage

episode 4 - Valarie Cox, Terry Prone, Geraldine Herbert, Shane Byrne, Joanna Donnelly

episode 5 - Alison O'Connor, Stefanie Preissner, Bernard O'Shea, Baz, Gabija Gataveckaite

All proceeds from the shows will be gratefully hoovered up by NKM ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think ... and I could be wrong...

If you take someone like Katherine Thomas, IMO when she hosted both The Voice and Ireland's Fittest Family she had to be one of the top ten but because both shows are independently produced she doesn't end up in the top ten list.

On the other hand if you take Jenny Z and D. Garrihy both of them are contracted to RTÉ IMO RTÉ promised both a TV series in their contract to their payment does comes from the Indo Company for DWTS. Meaning both should should up on the top ten list.

I'd also imagine that Ray D'Arcy when he hosted You're A Star was on good money from RTÉ indirectly.

But you could be right. On that list ... You've been watching too much RTÉ 🤣

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yet another programme whether you have to wonder do RTE actually expect people to voluntarily watch this, or are they going for the "stuck in a nursing home with no remote" market.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I think / hope @Gen.Zhukov is joking, I think Ireland's smartest is not yet a NKM wet dream.

______

Yesterday

It was a bit tongue in cheek Ro but hopefully in an informative way. I've no idea who the contestants are, but going on Claire's previous form, I'd expect it to be a team NK fest.

I took the opportunity to list a sample of the heads that I personally think are Noel's boys and girls (only three publicly aligned) It's based on where and how often these heads appear. It's a mad looking list I know - one could easily think 'GZ, ya mad bastard ya...Joanna Donnelly?, sure isn't she just working for Met Eireann?' Well yes, but wtf is she doing on the front of the RTE guide? - that's a classic NKM MO

Just remember, Noel works in a mysterious way - I stand by that list, I could be wrong on a few, but not many

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just imagine Joe Duffy comes out on top - shudder

@Gen.Zhukov he doesn't represent skeletor ! :pacman:

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Advertisement

petition to cut the licence fee to €10 a year and give the proceeds to WWN.

It’d be a tenner well spent.

They are said to be in 'the tunnel' stage of negotiations atm and Noel (being a pure optimist) has him preliminary booked for the panel on the weekend with BOC on Sunday 9th April.

Expect a new 'Georgian homes of Dublin - with Skeletor' series to be aired in the autumn. The peasants love this stuff apparently

I saw this from Dee re: An Cailin Ciúin, lots of talk about how well RTÉ did getting it to the Oscars etc, they really have gone all out mention how well they did.

Oh wait no sorry that's TG4, but if you can imagine replacing Toy Show the Musical with An Cailin Ciúin, you might here more about their Oscar nomination, and even if they didn't get the nods that they got CINE4 would still have been worth it from a PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING point of view.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

I am also surprised that Sean Whelan was at the Oscars yet I don't think he produced a report in relation to the train derailments in Ohio?

______

Yesterday

https://www.rte.ie/tv/audience-participation/2020/0123/1110415-angela-scanlons-ask-me-anything/

Okay we deserve a refund. Just for this. It's not like this show has a strong viewership, she's getting as many viewers as The Ray D'Arcy Show, if not less.

Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything

ANGELA NEEDS YOU!

Join Angela Scanlon with a host of your favourite comedians, international celebrities and special guests for a great night out as her hit TV show returns for a third, feel-good series.

Filming in RTÉ studios in Dublin this March/April 2023, Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything is the show that dares to go the extra mile. Every topic is on the table, nothing is off limits, Angela pulls no punches....asking the questions that you want to be asked!

Audience invites are limited, so apply now for a chance to attend one of seven upcoming dates by filling in the form below.

Tickets are strictly non-transferable.

You must be over-18 to apply. 

RTÉ reserve the right of admission. 

*We’ll use your entry to select audience members for the 2023 series of Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything, and keep these on file for a year to recruit audience members for future series

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tubbers is stepping down from the Late Late…

so read that as sacked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just keep one RTE channel as a Sports Channel. Very little else to watch on RTE except sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Tubs leaving the LLS is quite a turn of events, considering it was only a few weeks ago he said he was going nowhere for a good while. My guess is he wouldn't take any more pay cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cut his wages to match his reduced hours

I'd say it was planned, he had a cut in wages and said he'd finish on TLLS at the end of his contract and his new contract has TV built in, until the realise that he's not all that likeable.

2024: Tubs: The Irish Famine, New York The Irish Story, Ireland in Power in the US, Ireland and WW2, Ireland The Civil War.

2025: Tubs and Friends (AKA Pat Kenny In The Round)

2026: The Meaning Of Life but not the meaning of life because Joe Duffy is still presenting that one

2027: Scratch Saturday book review with Ryan Tubridy.

2028: Well much like Ray D'Arcy tubs won't be going on as many holidays from the radio show!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pity they didn't get rid of him years ago, he really is hopeless.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No but good news Dee has said she's going to consider changing the format.

I will do as Dee does and consider such changes and I will be as likely to effect that change as much as any former DG of RTÉ, I will of course have a chin wag with Bob Collins, Cathal Goan, Noel Curran and Dee Forbes so that we call also try to get the new DG to see our point of view. It will be a lot of fun!

______

Yesterday

People are at least cynical of RTÉ, "fans" of DWTS call out RTÉ Staffer win (a headline you won't find anywhere), but scrolling through twitter that seemed to be the impression I was getting. Along with the few "ah! sure its only a game, and didn't you enjoy it" or "I don't understand why people want to call out the presenter in question, is it really that important!".

The cynic in me suggested 8 weeks ago Carl was added to the roster of "stars" because RTÉ 2fm Breakfast was falling flat and the 2 presenters need something to drag the audience to them, did it work, well I hope not ... but that is just the cynic in me.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That show's been rigged ever since Aidan O'Mahony won in it's first year. You could tell the RTE folks were quite upset that Aidan won that one. The GAA vote even kept in Des Cahill. Since then, it's been rigged for the likes of Lottie or Mairead whatsherface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

One would have assumed that the stand-up comedy circuit would be active again since the lifting of Covid restrictions. So why is the Tommy Tiernan Show on RTÉ 1 still going on at the moment?

It's pre-recorded. Filmed around October/ November according to folks in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Tiernan is hopeless at everything but been good or half presentable has never been a prerequisite for becoming an Rte lifer. Brendan O'Carroll another example.

O'Connor married the former DG of RTE's daughter, so that's how he's a lifer. Which explains why his shows have been so cringey, yet he still has shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

John Caden was never DG, he was a producer.

He left RTE over 25 years ago.

Advertisement