Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So do you speak for all Swedes now as well as the vast majority of people in this country ? I don't think so .

Why do you think Sweden had to change their response ? Public outcry .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Here's the Eurostat information which seems to back up my point. Do you trust Eurostat. I already posted an English article above.

There is an excel in the Eurostat page which you can download and see Sweden at the bottom.

Again, starting to be widely reported now. The source is Statistics Sweden, Eurostat etc.

Firstly , Sweden is not " at the bottom " . If you read the graph you can see that those rates are not in order unlike the Statista graph I posted .

Secondly that starts in Jan 2021 ...when do you think the worst part of Sweden's death rates occurred ?

In 2020 , as they only started to bring in restrictions in December 2020 after a public outcry .

Again I refer you to the discussion of all of this ..and more ! ...on the Sweden avoiding lockdown thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you read the full article?

It states Sweden hasnt reported all its data for 2022 yet.

Plus the figures arent adjusted for demographic changes between the baseline and pandemic period.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

These peoples egos won’t even let them admit the 2km rule was nonsense they are hardly going to row back on Sweden!

Thanks for translating it for me .

I can clearly read it is an excerpt and not the full source ?

Also provides at the bottom about how the accuracy may not be all that ...

Not sure why I can't find this particular article ..Is it a preprint , or maybe something that has been posted out of context somewhere?

Where is it being " widely reported ?

Ahhh , Twitter , I see now , eh , really ? And Elon himself twisting about it .

You do know that Twitter is not a factual source of information ?

@Don't Chute! you are generalizing about " these people ' ..

How do you know that ?

What I supported or didn't has no bearing on whether I refuse to believe unvouched claims or not .

Does that mean if you didn't support the 2km restriction , that you believe whatever anybody on the antirestrictions side of the debate without question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sweden was not a good example from a financial perspective, in the EU, Ireland had the fastest growing economy during the pandemic years:

Coronavirus: Sweden GDP Falls 8.6% in Q2, More Than Nordic Neighbors (businessinsider.com)

there is one month missing from the Eurostat data for Sweden (December 2022) the Study published in the newspaper in Sweden says this hence the excess death is as a % with projected Figures for December 2022.

So when the final data is published by Eurostat will you admit you were wrong if Sweden still has the lowest excess mortality?

• Advertisement

Same question for you:

So when the final data is published by Eurostat will you admit you were wrong if Sweden still has the lowest excess mortality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Mean excess mortality for Ireland for 33 months since and including April 2020 was 8%, in the same period of time for Sweden it was 4.7%.

As I said early on, it was always going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

Who did better in the covid olympics? Well, for me there is no debate.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

That link you posted is just a tweet , and not verified statistics , btw.

Here is a reply from another lonely soul on that goddawful Musk wasteland ..https://twitter.com/itjohnstone/status/1632935760080015365/photo/1

It details my reasons for not trusting this because you can clearly see the damage done to Sweden in the first year and how they brought it back when they changed tack.

So do you want myself and anyone else to say " Sweden did better on Excess deaths " ( not shown really yet ) " so let's ignore the unnecessary Covid death toll they inflicted on their population ", or are we going to agree on a more humane and widely acceptable worldwide approach.

No country except UK went anywhere near approving of Tegnell's strategy ,( if you can call it that ) and there are statistics to show how well that works for a more densely populated and less self regulating country .

I am afraid that ship has sailed as regards how I think about Sweden and its approach in that first year .

I am glad that there numbers improved so much that second year , but that is largely down to restrictions, firstly and vaccination, secondly .

Oh, and thirdly, as I mentioned previously, they never let their health service get overrun by elderly sick people , in the first year so they continued health services which would have made a big difference to excess mortality overall

Most other countries had ICUs and wards full of sick people of an older demographic who took sometimes months to get better .

Would I change that, yes, in a heartbeat , more staff, services , isolation wards , but not the way Sweden did it . Not by refusing to treat or to even try to care for people who could not survive without hospitalisation .

I have said all I want to say on this . I think we are at an impasse .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The poster being replied to was espousing the monetary aspect, Sweden did worse here in most metrics compared to similar countries, significantly worse than Ireland.

If you want to put Sweden in a good light, you need to ignore 2020 and look at 2021 onwards when they had vaccines and lockdowns.

Denmark are, arguably, the model to follow for future pandemics. Denmark also used selective lockdowns (and a study revealed that high infection areas effectively went into lockdown before the Danish government put the mandate in place). Ireland howled when Kildare had a tighter lockdown than other areas, so not sure it would have worked here in practice.

Mean excess mortality for Denmark for 33 months since and including April 2020 was 7.1%.

According to what I learnt at school such figure is significantly greater than Sweden’s 4.7%.

Denmark is one of those countries that has suffered from unexplained excess deaths for many months last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It depends on how you define the "best".

If you are happy to let all the old people die in 2020, then you will have the best performance in excess deaths in 2021 and 2022, because there aren't enough old people left to die, then you are the best.

Let the most vulnerable die in 2020, impose lockdowns and curfews in 2021 so the hospitals can look after those who are left is a strategy that worked and it can be called the best. It is not one I like, though.

Lockdowns and curfews? Are we talking about Sweden here? If so, what were the lockdowns and curfews they implemented and how did they compare to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"As COVID-19 progressed so did the measures taken. On 10 January 2021 an Act was passed that provided the Government the right to place rules on curbing public and private gatherings, and limit international and domestic travel.[73][74][71] The law was a temporary pandemic law and allowed for Sweden to place time limits on when businesses can open and close.[74] On 30 June 2021 a travel ban was introduced on anyone from the United States or EEA.[71][75] Exceptions were on travellers from DenmarkFinlandIceland and Norway.[75] The ban was set to be lifted on 31 October 2021.[76]

Regulations were then created to take place on 1 July 2021.[74] Numbers of people who could be in one place such as a restaurant, or store was limited, as well as social gatherings being limited to no more than 8 people.[74][77] Remote work was recommended if possible, and on 17 March[when?] school was made fully online.[71"

Sweden came late to the party.

As we all know at this stage the "lockdowns" Sweden brought in were absolutely NOTHING compared to other countries. People keep bringing up Sweden bringing in lockdowns as if they went full hysterical like everyone else but it's simply not true. As I've said before I suspect people's problems with Sweden are nothing to do with the saving of lives and all to do with the fact that Sweden just didn't tow the hysterical line like we all did. They just didn't like Sweden thinking for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

According to a friend of mine from Stockholm the only action he was aware of was the government told the citizens to be mindful of their contacts as there was a bad virus going around.

He witnessed no lockdown, masks , curtailment of kid’s education, closure of gyms , bars / restaurants, parks etc and no hysterical brow beating by easily manipulated neighbours or co-workers.

The very opposite of what we (and other countries) endured when we were plunged into a half-life existence for close to 2 years.

As many of us said at the time , their strategy was the logical action. It’s no surprise that the pro lockdown contributors will now blur the reality lines and revise the not too distant past to support their position.

As the old adage says , it’s all coming out in the wash now. Rejoice

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WaterWipes

As the Matt Hancock messages in the UK show, they were outraged at the Swedish covid response, and they were shown for the knee jerk reactions that they were.

I'd love to see the conversations between Tony, little Micheal & that forgettable health minister we had... I wonder were they smart enough not to use WhatsApp?

Well done for telling a funny story about one person you know who went around for the last few years with his eyes closed and ears shut and didn't read a newspaper !

Maybe he had no Swedish and preferred listening to something else ?

That's ok , but not very reliable to be telling people what he saw and heard then ...

What is coming out in the wash as I said a few pages ago is that somebody in Sweden has been trying to cover up their appalling and unethical decisions to abandon their elderly . That tweet being circulated by pro herd immunity publications is exactly that , a makey up figure by one statistician for a Swedish vested interest , ignoring the reasons for a reduction in excess deaths by that country from 2021 on .

Recording history is best left to others who don't make such a fvck up of their country's pandemic response that they manage to kill off a whole generation in one year .

Read what statistics actually show .. I don't think anybody would / should be rejoicing .🙄

Post edited by Goldengirl on

“Ahhh , Twitter , I see now , eh , really ?

You do know that Twitter is not a factual source of information ?”

Lol.

Can you point out what's wrong with the Twitter analysis?

What has been presented so far is not the truth, they are facts cut in a particular way by a flawed statistical analysis, especially with regard to how 2020 have been included.

So what are the actual 'facts'?

Pay special attention to further analysis from this epidemiologist:

Tip for non-experts: if you see excess mortality metric that, by its own admission, is not adjusting based on age distribution or prior trend (if population was growing or declining), this metric is pure garbage.

https://twitter.com/galinash/status/1632014561250295808

Ahh but that was the Tweet based on unverifiable and suspect data .

The response is not based on reputable and verifiable data , from John Hopkins fir example.

As opposed to one statistician doing a nixer for a tabloid rag in Sweden .

Bit of a difference , don't you think ? Lol

These are ‘nil pointers’.

Tweeter is not a reputable source of information, even if it confirms your beliefs.

In this instance, it appears to be far more reputable source of analysis of garbage data, than a Swedish tabloid.

I'd wager the credentials of those on Twitter challenging and discrediting the data, trumps whatever hacks it employs.

So it appears you are completely unable to defend the data against basic questions.

There are also questions being raised about whether the data included all Swedish deaths, because the FOI data was pulled together from week on week data and there are thousands of deaths per year in Sweden recorded without a date of death.

• Advertisement

Advertisement