Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for PS4/PS5 Headphones

Options
  • 10-01-2023 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a set of gaming headphones for PS4. I'll be getting a PS5 at some stage. I've tried looking online and am already bamboozled by it.

Criteria would be:

• Under e100
    • 'Surround' sound
    • Wired (as I don't' really need wireless, and I've also read that there's latency issues?)
    • Don't need a mic

I play the likes of Red Dead (and similar RPGs), Battlefield, Soccer Sims.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

If you don't want a mic then it's not gaming headphones you want. Just a great pair of wired headphones.

I have SteelSeries Arctis P7 and they are great. Wireless (never any latency issues) they have a mic because I do play with friends sometimes.

Any headphones connected to the PS4/5 will have the Surround sound piece. It's not a headphone feature, it's a console feature.

If you pay up to €100 for a pair of wired headphones they are going to sound amazing. My quick google has shown it's actually hard to find wired headphones with no mic.

I would ignore the no mic piece and go for something here:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I was looking at the Arctis ones, and they look great.

Thanks for the advice; I had thought you could get specific 5.1 surround sound headphones, specifically for gaming, but not according to what you are saying.

I was also wondering whether you could achieve the surround sound using only the 3.5 m wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I use a pair of reasonably high end (ironically) Sony wireless headphones but hooked up with the wire to the controller. For some reason they don't allow you mix between game and voice volume levels. Doesn't overly bother me as not often I play with anyone these days but something to think about.

I think you'd be fine with the Pulse headset OP. Can get decent deals at times through the year but generally 80 odd quid.

I think the only headphones for PS5 that let you mix between Voice and Game are the Sony Pulse. For all other headphones you have to do it in chat settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tempted to pick up the Arctis 7P+ tomorrow. My Pulse has something loose in the left cup, its not affecting performance but it rattles when I move my head so time for a new pair. Got well over 2k hours out of them, at least I reckon, so we'll worth the €100.

Want to try these Arctis so I can finally compare the Pulse. The + gives USB-C/fast charge/25% more battery. Have the official headphones for the Xbox so no need for cross compatability.

Any suggestions for alternatives, or is this just the best at that price range? Reviews seem to think it's the headset to have for the PS5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Go for the Arctis 7P+. I paid €120 for mine and I'm thrilled with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Don't be tempted . BUY BUY . Big step up from pulse . i've the 7x for series x too .

Ok, so I purchased. Had a game to trade in so cost me ~€140. Initial impressions are ok. Not a massive fan of white stuff in general, but they didn't have the black one. It's slightly heavier than the Pulse, but somehow feels flimsier, like it would break easily, don't get that with the Pulse but the Pulse is one solid piece so maybe that's why.

First thing that annoyed me is the dongle. It's a USB-C one, but the shape of it means if you use the USB-C port on the front you'll be blocking the USB-A port. Seems like it was designed for Switch/phones in mind, which is kinda annoying seeing as it's the "PS5" one. Does come with a cable to connect to USB-A on the back, but now I have a hanging wire and it's kinda annoying me. Just have to hide the back of the PS5 better I suppose.

No set up, plug and go, but brings me onto the second thing that annoyed me. Even with the headset powered off, the sound now defaults to the headset, so I've to change the output every time I want to use the tv. Very annoying when coming from the Pulse which only connected once powered on.

Onto the positives! Sound is definitely better, but also different. Seems more... echo-y? Maybe the Pulse was bad in comparison, I dunno. Hard to tell. But I will say I was hearing tyres screeching under turning that I wasn't hearing on the Pulse (or the insert headphones with the VR2...). So it seems to be definitely giving a better range of sounds. Hogwarts Legacy also benefitted, but only slightly. Still enough to make it noticeable though. My brain is fighting with it, because it's different to the Pulse which I'm so used to. Then again, at nearly twice the price it would want to be better.

It also took me a minute to realise I was getting environment feedback because of the passthrough on the other earcup. Set it to the min so hopefully that means off and won't give any interference. Pity it doesn't have an on/off toggle. Mic, I'll never know if it's good or bad because I don't chat online. 30 hour battery life is probably good to some folks, but I plug in mine every night anyway so kinda defunct. Will be great if I ever forget though.

So yeah, I'm happy enough with it so far, but still early days. Seems quite comfortable, but I also read there's a sweet spot and having it differently on your head will make things sound better or worse. Will see. Can't say it's completely worth the extra over the Pulse just yet.

So last night I checked out the Artic Nova Pro... another for the list for when I win the lotto.

I have the Arctis 7p. I agree with you about the USBC dongle and having to change output. I just plug mine in and out when not using them.

As for the battery, there is definitely no need to plug in nightly. I have never been caught short, the light will turn orange as a warning and then red. I don't play as much as I used to so I could get weeks out of a charge.

I've the PS5 set to output TV and not change automatically, so I just need to change the output from the sound icon on the XMB when using the headphones.

They're definitely a step up from the Pulse. Would love to test a high end headset for comparison now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement