Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I wouldn't assume that they were feeling confident. They knew what they wanted; they knew what they didn't want; and they knew what they didn't want had been staved off. But it didn't follow that they were confident that this state of affairs would endure - the attempt by the NI government to collapse the boundary review points to the opposite of confidence about this, surely? And, remember, when you're talking about the grassroots unionist community, you need to remember that in border areas that was the minority community — and they were very aware of that.

It may be a mistake in 1922 to speak of "the grassroots unionist community" as a coherent block. It's speculation on my part, but it's quite possible that, say, unionists in and around Belfast assumed that, with the relative wealth and industrial strength of Belfast as a foundation, NI was economically and politically secure and they derived comfort from this, while unionists in Fermanagh, Tyrone, etc might have been more affected by the risk that they would shortly find themselves in the Free State. And of course they would all have known unionists who already found themselves in the Free State, so this wasn't a remote or inconceivable scenario to them. Even if they also believed that a rump NI centred on Down and Antrim might endure, that wasn't necessarily a lot of consolation to them.

As we know, the creation of NI was very consciously a trade-off between maximising the area (and so the prosperity and viability) of NI and minimising the number of nationalists included within it — too many nationalists, and the political sustainability of the project is called into question. That's why a movement that identified as "Ulster Unionism" settled for six, rather than nine, counties. But I don't think it was a given that the balance they eventually struck - six counties - would turn out to the right balance. We know with hindsight that NI did survive; we can't project our hindsight back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Francie I was trying to bring to an end a monotonous circular argument. Unionists had just achieved a major victory. Confidence normally follows such. You are trying to align gerrymandering and I’ll treatment of the catholic minority as evidence unionists thought we would soon be in a United ireland. Surely that would be counterintuitive and we would be setting ourselves up for reprisals.

ps I didn’t ask us to agree, I suggested we move on in disagreement.

I am not spending any more energy on this.

I am also tired of this one francie. Everyone should be able to see that you are creating a fog of various agreements, letters, annex’s etc and continually refer to agreements and commitments governments made and imply that they were then the responsibility of the dup to enact.

I am finished with this circular argument also. Dup did not renege on a commitment they made around an ILA (fact)

Agree completely. If I said all unionists were confident about there future in the Uk then I happily retract that.

what I am resisting is an argument that somehow unionists accepted that staying in the Uk was a temporary solution. If they convinced nationalist Ireland that that was their thinking, then that was a master stroke. If that helped keep us in the Uk, then fair play the the unionist spindoctors of 1921 - we could do with a few of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is not often mentioned, but there was also a class aspect to the gerrymandering and control that the Unionist elite organised.

Labour and Independent Unionist candidates representing working class Protestant and Catholic voters defeated Unionist candidates almost without exception under the PR system. The elite feared a split in the Protestant vote and the new system of voting eliminated that risk and made sure that Craig got his wish to make elections about that 'one issue'.

• Advertisement

Here is what I said:

Equality and parity of esteem legislation and legislation on the Irish language was agreed at St. Andrews among all those party's present. They all signed that agreement including the DUP.

The DUP blocked that legislation as best they could until the British government were forced to honour their committments to the St. Andrew's Agreement.

as I predicted to another poster, you turned that into re-iterating the DUP's excuses that they never agreed to Irish Language legislation at St. Andrew's. They did in fact, it is there in the Agreement in black and white.

And it came to pass regardless of the DUP's attempts to block it. Now they do their best to block implementation. Democrats? not a chance, this is their modus operandi as we can see from other Agreements and laws they refuse to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I doubt very much that NI unionists accepted that staying in the UK would be temporary. But I suspect rather more of them you supposed feared that it would be temporary.

To be honest, Francie has made at least one point which is hard to deny; nothing about the history of NI from 1922 to 1972 suggests that its governing class was ever confident about the survival of the state.

It is up there with Israel and South Africa as an example of a state with a siege mentality. That mentality has never diminshed as we can plainly see today.

I’m not sure there behaviour was because the feared being thrown out of the Uk. More like it was blatant sectarianism and control freakery, undoubtedly not unrelated to what was happening to their kinfolk across the border. Both states operated from unreasonable sectarian mindsets

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be fair to downcow, the text is clear that the Westminister government would introduce an Irish Language Act and that the Executive would only work "to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language."

Nowhere in the text is the DUP committed to introducing an ILA to Stormont, so technically, downcow is correct on that issue. Twisting the language to mean the DUP committing to an ILA in Stormont is both untrue and provocative. In fact, the document doesn't even commit the British government to supporting such an Act in Westminister, only that it will introduce it. As parliament is sovereign, technically it could decide to vote down an ILA, and still be compliant with the St Andrews Agreement.

• Advertisement

Nobody said that though. Downcow pivoted to that because he couldn't deny that the DUP and all parties + the Irish and the UK government signed an agreement that included a commitment to an ILA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Ah yes! Thanks Francie. It was bugging me over the last couple of days.

That's where I've heard the expression "our territory" before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

...the DUP committed to introducing an ILA to Stormont

That was never claimed. What was claimed was that the DUP signed an agreement which included a provision to introduce an Irish Language Act. They were a party to that agreement

The Irish government signed the Maastrict Treaty which established the introduction of the Euro. Part of that agreement was that France (for example) would adopt the Euro. The Irish government obviously had no hand in implementing the adoption of the Euro in France. Are you seriously trying to claim that the Irish government didn't agree that France would adopt the Euro? Because that's as absurd an argument as downcow is making

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

The Agreement didn't commit the DUP to supporting an Irish Languages Act. In fact, it explicitly differentiated between what the British Government would do in Westminister (introduce an Irish Languages Act) and what the Stormont Executive would do (work "to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language").

As with any agreement, any party is only responsible for their own commitments as part of that agreement. The DUP are not committed to supporting an Irish Languages Act, that is a fact. They are not committed to introducing one in Stormont, they are not committed to voting for one in Westminister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Didn't they sign an agreement that stated the Stormont Executive would work "to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language"?

If so then why did they do they exact opposite, by not allowing the ILA?

Can you not see the point being made through your orange tinted lenses?

Allowing an Irish Languages Act is not necessarily the same thing as enhancing and protecting the development of the Irish language.

(1) There are people who dispute the effect of the ILA in the South, and argue it has set back the Irish language

(2) It could be done through a minorities languages act, not just an ILA.

There will be plenty who will try to disguise the DUP's bigoted rejection of anything Irish.

Nobody said that they agreed to it at St Andrew's. What was said was they signed an agreement that had within it a committment to an Irish Language Act.

Their a lá carte approach to agreements is now well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Come off it, how can you pretend that rejecting an Irish Language Act equates to work "to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language"?

That's total and utter nonsense and has to be called out as such.

The language of the document was written precisely that way so that the DUP wouldn't be committing to supporting an Irish Languages Act. You don't need an ILA to enhance and protect the development of the Irish language, there are many ways in which that objective can be achieved.

IF the drafters of the document wanted to commit the DUP to supporting an ILA, the document would have said exactly that. It didn't. It didn't even commit the British government to vote for one, only to introduce it to Westminister. These agreements say what they say and only that.

As the Guardian says:

The DUP has been signing up to such deals on the language since 2007 but once again stalled when it came to their implementation.

ANy excuses for them is just excusing blatant cultural bigotry really.

• Advertisement

I would content that an Irish language act will have an extremely negative effect on Irish language in ni. It will just draw it further into the divisive politics

Blanch has made everything very clear there. I had posters laughing at me for suggesting dup did not commit to an ila in the SAA.

the facts are the facts.

Latest rumours in unionist community suggest dup will neither accept or reject FM (as I said a while ago). Likely they will moan about it and garner a little more movement. They will still not accept it but likely will return to stormont and in the words of Sam McBride, “give the brake a few yanks to check if it works”.

I think they will lose more votes to jim allistair if they go back, so they won’t go back until after May elections.

the SOS has made quite a claim that they will want to test

Actually it won't. Having it protected by an Act takes it out of the political arena and the cultural bigotry of someone like Gregory Campbell.

The problem the DUP has is that it isn't a government and no longer has a veto. The belief it has, has led it up many cul de sacs since the Anglo Irish Agreement.

They have lost every time they have tried to effect a veto. When the penny drops with them is anyone's guess.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

One Borough In London pays more Tax in HMC than the whole of Northern Ireland , just shows how irrelevant NI is to the UK Government, plenty MPs be happy to give it back to the Irish rather than listening to the DUP moaning year in year out about how British they are .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think there is any way to change this kind of mindset, Stephen's certainly attempts didn't get anywhere!

Has to be the most bitter and divisive politician on these islands. Considering he is the only MLA in his party how he gets the access he gets is something the BBC should be ashamed of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Jim Allister is bit like Enoch Burke - they see things in absolutes. But isn't Allister right in his own way - a fundamental fault line was opened up between relationships on these islands when Brexit was voted in by the UK population as a whole. And there's no real escaping this - the ins and outs of the protocol are just a fudge. And people like Allister or Burke don't like fudges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement