Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Text from school that it’s closed tomorrow, email from the boss to WFH, lane is near impassable and still snowing away heavy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You'd want a power of timber to keep a house heated though and all the work associated with getting it ready to burn. Then there's no comparison in the heat it yields compared to coal. Burning timber is OK of a mild day if you're tipping about the house but in cold weather or if you've to go out for a few hours there's no power in them imo. A shovel of coal in a closed up cooker or stove will last hours where timber in the same setup will have a pile of cold ashes awaiting you upon you're return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm in Centre Parcs and what snow fell melted away as soon as it hit the ground. Small bit starting to sticck now. I'm really hoping to be snowed in. Load sof people left today for fear of being trapped here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was talking to a lad in the pool there at half 4. They were just getting set to leave it and then pack up and drive back to Dublin. He was hoping to be on the road at 7. I asked him why not wait and was told the orange warning was out and they didn't want to chance it. I don't understand how driving in the snow and the dark for a couple of hours is better than waiting and tipping off sometime tomorrow afternoon. Each to their own I guess. We walked back to the lodge here after grub around half 7 and I counted 18 cars either being loaded or on the move. And there's no cars allowed in here usually so there is a big move on to get out. In the dark. In the snow. I bought a few cans so I ain't going nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Snow is brutal here all day. Cars abandoned everywhere.

Pic of the road this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All timber needs to be in a shed in 2-3 years before it is put in a stove. I have a stove (Stanley Erin) if it's a cold night you need a bit of dry hardwood. I use a small shovel of smokeless nuggets at the start of lighting it

Ya we have oil on for a couple of hours every day during the winter.

Slava Ukrainii

I'm not disputing that but that then means you need a decent shed to hold 3 year's supply. Coupled with the need for a few chainsaws (bigger saw for felling and light handy one for cutting to length) log splitters ect and it's not exactly a low cost fuel before you ever include labour.

Granted with coal you want to be buying a pallet at a time ideally and then need the means of transporting it and storage ect. At the end of the day I still believe that oil is the best all round value for money. No hardship with saving it, getting it home, storing it and getting it to the fire and the ashes out again. Simply lift the phone and the only unpleasant part is paying the invoice..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No logsplitter two saws with 16'' bars. Mostly try to get wood in the 3-8'' diameter range. House is well Insulated which helps a lot. Will bun anything but will dry it for at least two years.

Ya oil is often better value than you think

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah, ye can't beat the turf - except for the back breaking hardship of saving it whilst getting eaten by feckin midges, loading it and drawing it home, unloading it and piling it up in the shed, filling fertilizer bags to bring to the house, getting it into the fire and finally getting rid of the ashes - ye can't beat the turf 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Like timber, the turf will heat you 3 or 4 times before it ever gets burnt 😂😂

The upshot being that you'll struggle to find time to be cold when all the above is going on.

I love cutting timber, the smell and the process of bringing it in from the field. Find it a great way to relieve stress. Only thing is try not to cut too much at once.

Oil is superior when all taken into account. It’s ultimate benifet is you can set it on the timer and thermostats to have heat just when you want it.

we burn nuggets and sticks in the stove which is nice. Have some free turf were burning at the moment and it’s inferior stuff, if it wasn’t free I wouldn’t bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

I got some ash this time last year and have been burning it fine all winter, and tested it below 20% with a moisture meter. I plan the same again some whitethorn, cutting up now and plan to burn from next autumn. Previously had some leylandi which I left season for 3 years to get rid of the tar, but I don't understand the need to season hardwood (unless oak) for longer than a year, so curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I burned an old crate in the last few days that some Chinese /Indian limestone came in, the heat was superb, equal to any coal, the timber was peculiar, hard wood close grained and quite brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's a bargain alerts section on boards, one thread about coal. I got a ton of ovoids delivered from the north a few times from easyglow ( a few crowds do it). Price doubled after Ukraine started but is dropping back now. some fella in the know said to buy angust/ September as current stock bought at high prices. Bit like fertilizer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Clear tb test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

I do go up north a bit, last time I bought a ton at 19 euro a bag compared to 32 bag down here it nearly paid for the diesel

• Advertisement

It’s the odd day like today I regret getting rid of the 4WD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

There’s coal and there’s coal though. Are you comparing like with like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Coal is far cheaper for the same stuff in the north, no dumb carbon tax on it there afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

And the sad thing is, it is the poorest that suffer the most with this carbon tax. When I was in Limerick city last year getting stove nuggets, I saw this man leaving the place with a bag of coal on the crossbar of his bike. A lot in there buying just the one bag.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

And they've a smaller carbon footprint than most with EVs

Clearing the road today, there was a drift 3 foot high for about 400 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

It's important with a solid fuel stove, in my experience, to cut the timber big - in diameter and max length. Saves on the labour cutting and feeding stove.

Also if leaving house for a spell load stove and cut the air supply to minimum; the same can work overnight sometimes. Would regard one year's drying sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Got a load of ash from a local sawmill before Christmas. I think it’s mighty stuff. Only complain I’d have is maybe it’s spilt a bit too much. There’s a few logs only split in two and if ya put them in the fire bark side down and shut the air supply, they last ages and give off great heat. Hardly ever have to empty any ashes. I’ve a big bag of turf that must be 6 years in the shed and I’d nearly give it away rather than burn it. Mountain of ash out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Only coal available in the south now is smokeless, that stuff will give little heat & only sit there with a glow.

Bord na mona black Diamond was the real deal for flame & heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Advertisement