Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭deezell

Combining an oil/gas boiler with a stove boiler requires a proper plumbing setup, to prevent one boiler pumping into the other, and some level of electrical control. The stove is unlike the boiler, which fires when a stat/timer makes a request for heat. The stove works the opposite way, when its water jacket reaches a certain temperature, it opens valves or switches on pumps to dissipate the heat, and t requires a certain level of permanent open heat sinks, such as unvalved radiators, and its own HW coil in the HW cylinder. Furthermore, these should be convection connected, higher than the stove, so that the heat can be dissipated even if there is no electricity to power a pump.

A common electrical solution for normal powered operation is to have the stove convection circuit plumbed to the HW cylinder, and a branch from this via a pump to CH flow blender. This pump is controlled with a pipe thermostat on the hot flow outlet of the stove. When this rises above a certain threshold, the stat will close, and operate a circulation pump into the CH system. The stove stat will have a normally closed contact which would be live when the stove is cold, and if this live is used as the source live for the boiler call, either through the CH wall stats/timer or from zone valve relays, the boiler will not fire while the stove is supplying hot flow to the plumbed common CH circuit, which should be some kind of manifold or tank blender. This works well for any situation where the normal thermostat control system is on or off. If there are some smart TRVs on the radiators, then some radiators will have to be open in order to have a reasonable chance of sinking the heat from the stove when there is no call for heating from the thermostat or relay controlling the TRVs and the boiler firing.

An electrical relay box know as a lex box is a useful device as it has a number of relays and wiring points which facilitate muting of the boiler firing voltage when a live call comes from the stove relay. The system operates as normally, TRVs opening and closing, thermostats calling for individual zones, all unaware that the stove is on occasion overriding the boiler as the source of hot flow. When the stove flow cools, the stove stat will open, the residual stove heat may convect to the HW cylinder, and the oil boiler will resume firing if there is still a call for heat from the system thermostats. Easy peasy.

And on a different topic altogether that is one of my greatest irritants, comes confirmation of what we've always known; G is for Grant, and G is for Gouge. They're interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Looking at buying an old house, currently has a G rating, new gas boiler wit some old crappy radiators.

In my current house I have Tado with TRVS and find it brilliant.

My question is, would you just replace the rads and keep TRVs or would you zone using motorised valves etc? Should I look to install a combi boiler?(don’t know much about these)

Just looking for the best solution really, or what the ideal solution of you were starting from scratch would be either way I’ll be carrying out some works to the system.

I’m not looking at heat pumps… as I’m not carrying out a deep retrofit due to cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pet hate of mine too. Refurb/extension ongoing. Doing all the deep retrofit stuff but as it's an extension you go out to tender to the market. Like, the real world everyday scenario. Only one of the OSS shops would consider us because of the "complexity" of it being an extension too. And they wanted 8k for "project managing", where I would have a contractor I appointed, and architect managing the project. And guess what? The difference in value between deep retrofit OSS grants and individual grants I can get doing it outside of OSS....you guessed it, 8k. Its all a sham. At least this way I'm paying standard prices for materials.

• Advertisement

G rated. You'll need to seriously insulate, and even 'outsulate' that one. Probably just a solid wall if its older than the 60s or a single leaf of cavity blocks. There are deep retrofit grants, but... what did the last few posts just say? Oh. yes, 'Deep' refers to the pockets required for so called grant work.

Whatever way you go about it, once it's properly heat sealed, Tados (or other smart brand) and new rads are the best option. Zone with valves or TRVs, the latter easily fitted with the trv valve bodies if you upgrade the rads. Heat pumps? maybe, if you get it close to a passive house, but with a G rating, you might as well have your salary paid directly to Electric Ireland. I don't think you can get the deep debt grant for fossil heat anymore? No one is going to convince me that gas or oil at about 11c per Kwh, even at current, and unexplained, high consumer price, are more expensive to run than heatpumps costing 45-55c/kwh, and pretending to multiply the output by 4. I'd say the heat pump ESB meters are spinning like dervishes these last few days.

yep moving from a B3 house to a G (don’t ask why)

however I’m looking forward to getting stuck in. Plan would hopefully be to take advantage of the grant and get external insulation done straight away, along with windows. Then would look to upgrade the central heating, the gas boiler is relatively new so probably just need to move and add some radiators etc.

i like how Tado operates so think I’ll stick with that. My current house is gravity hot water and TRVs on rads.

presumably I should stick with the TRVs but put a zone valve on the hot water?

are combi boilers worth installing? I have an electric shower at the moment which we like so I’d probably just stick with that.

Combi gas boilers are not common here except in apartments. You can eliminate the HW cylinder by having direct HW to the taps, the gas boiler can operate at maximum condenser efficiency for CH heating by having a lower flow temperature for heating, and a higher one for HW. Instant electric shower heating costs nearly four times the price of gas HW, even with the current inflated gas prices. This also goes for cooking.

Can u explain the bit about operating at max efficiency by having higher flow rate for HW than for CH please? We're putting in a combi, CH is UFH downstairs, rads upstairs. I'm wondering if we should slightly oversize to allow for lower flow temp.

A wealth of knowledge as always!! So basically leave the current gas boiler, upgrade and add radiators with TRVs, plumb instant hot water to taps (does this eliminate a need for a zone valve?

• Advertisement

Is the current gas boiler a combi, that is, a boiler with a seperate direct HW heat exchanger? When these are installed there is generally no HW cylinder. Not to be confused with certain system boilers which have a seperate flow and return from the boiler to the HW cylinder, with an internal 3 port valve to divert at higher temperature to the HW cylinder. On the efficiency question, just read again, its the different flow temperatures, not flow rate, that enhances efficiency. Condenser boilers extract the most heat from the firing by cooling the exhaust gases with the return flow, a double heat exchage process. Larger radiators assist this, as coupled with a modulating thermostat (or a digitally coupled stat to a boiler with Opentherm interface), the radiators will keep set room temperature with a more continuous flow at lower temperatures rather than a series of bursts of high temperature flow. This is particularly suitable for UFH, which requires a low temperature flow anyway so as not to burn bare feet. UfH loops are fitted with blending valves, which will mix the loop return with the incoming hot flow to always limit the floor temperature to safe levels. The radiator in a UFH room is effectively the size of the floor, so doesn't need the same flow temperature to bring the room to a comfortable level.

With system boilers heating both HW and CH from the same flow, you have a requirement to heat the cylinder some of the time to above the threshold for the prevention of legionella bacteria, above 50° is adequate, so you might set your boiler to 65° on the flow to achieve a reasonable differential so that heat will transfer in the HW cylinder, and to have a bit of headroom above 50° for the HW temperature.

Setting the boiler to limit at 65° would be a good rule if thumb, the slight inefficiency arises when say TRVs or valves close in some rooms or zones, and the return flow is quite hot still. This hot return will not greatly condense the residual heat from the flue gasses, so a percentage of available heat will leave the boiler as warmer than necessary steam

A combi will run a lower temperature for the flow, assuming the radiators will still heat the rooms in all cases. The open therm boilers or smart stats modulation will always strive to modulate the firing to reduce the flow heat while at the same time transferring sufficient energy for all demand to be met.

I would run my boiler at 67, with my cylinder stat set to about 60. Only in the coldest weather does this cap on flow test the systems ability to heat the house on a continuous run. Check back on this thread, one of the regular posters tested how low he could set his flow before his house failed to heat to thermostat settings. He was testing to see if his existing rads could heat the house with the typically low temperature flows of low 50s achieved by heat pumps. In short, his rads were all too small.

Sorry for the long answer.

Interesting. I think I understand a lot of it! So am putting in a system combi I think it's called, I believe it can run different temps for DHW and CH. I might talk to plumber at time of ordering rads to see if slightly oversizing rads might allow a lower flow temp, maybe even at ideal ufh type flow temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Does any one have a suggestion for smart thermostats to run with underfloor heating? I will have 16 thermostats overall and plumber is pricing for non-smart stats but said if I want to source myself he will fit what I want.

The heatmiser neoStat which are wifi I think seems to be the one that keeps coming up in searches, I am surprised there is such a lack I thought most/all of the main smart devices manufactures would be catering for underfloor also.

Does anyone have any feedback on the heatmiser ones and importantly are they a simple swap for the standard stats* that the plumber would be supplying i.e. will they complicate the install in other ways or require additional equipment?

*when I say standard I mean they are a digital (possibly touch screen) stat not some type of old basic twisty knob one.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

My house (UFH downstairs) came with Heatmiser non smart stats and I simply replaced them with Heatmiser neo and the hub and it was a simple replacement. Works great, and could add them to Home Assistant using a custom component. Can't complain at all.

Not sure what difference underfloor heating makes to this. I don't remember doing any specific config/wiring for the new smart stats to make them work with UFH. Does the stat even know it's connected to UFH?

Smart stats will 'know' the heating characteristics of the room when the stat closes the relay, rate of heating, rate of cooling, and will use this information to modulate the heating calls so as to minimise the hysteresis or over/undershoot that you will get from a stat that simply turns off when set temperature is achieved, and on when it drops below. Such a basic stat, which would include many electronic ones, will present a temperature graph which oscillates about the mean set temperature, often by several degrees. With UFH , response time is slower, so there is higher likelyhood that the stat will always be playing catchup.

The better smart stats should have finer control of this by using second order calculations, learning, and modulation. Basic on off thermostats for UFH will often have an additional probe sensor which is fitted in the floor substrate to measure the actual floor temperature and assist in the thermostatic function. Tado state their stats are suitable for controlling UFH rooms, they're confident their algorithms can track the heating behaviour of the UFH room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sale agreed on a house, B2 rated (mainly due to solar panels I think, it's a 2006 build)

Gas Boiler in Utility room, with a climote underneath. Radiators with no TRV's.

There are 2 x mechanical thermostats - 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs.

Large Hot Water Cylinder, hooked up to solar, with some kind of control panel (Labelled 'Solar iboost +')

Questions:

1. Can Tado replace the climote?
    2. Is getting TRV's fitted on each radiator the way to go?
    3. Can Tado control hot water in this setup?

1. Yes. The Climote is currently wired as a two zone timer, plus a HW timer. The internal thermostat of the climote is not used as it is in a utility room. The two wall thermostats provide the temperature control for the two zones. Two wired Tado stats can be installed in place of these to control timing and temperature of each zone.

2. If you require individual room temperature control, then you can fit TRVs to some or all radiators in a zone. A partial fit is useful to close off selected rooms from zone heating, e.g., you might fit TRVs just to spare bedrooms in the upstairs zone, to keep them off when general upstairs heating is called.

3. With the addition of the Tado Extension kit receiver, you can replace the Climote and control HW timing with the Extension kit HW relay. Alternatively, you can leave the climote to perform HW timing only, and set the two CH zones to always on with the Tado wired thermostats hich will assume full control, time and temperature, of these zones.

Solar iboost+ is a device which detects excess solar PV power and turns on the immersion element in your HW cylinder, reducing dependency on Gas. It is not interconnected with the HW timer for the gas HW zone. You may still require a certain amount of gas powered HW heating, but assuming there is a cylinder stat to cut the HW zone when water is sufficiently hot, it's a matter of trial and error to optimise the times you would expect the solar to deliver sufficient power to justify using the immersion to heat HW, as against using gas.

I would expect it to be the main source of HW during bright summer days. It's not clear if the iboost will only turn on the immersion if the solar power provides all the energy for the immersion element, or if solar provides just a certain percentage,If configurable. This % would need to be in excess of 66%, as otherwise the immersion will consume the additional electricity (approx 42c/kwh) from the meter to heat HW, about 3 times the cost of heating by gas (about 14c/kwh).

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Do I have this right?

OPTION 1

I can, if I want, leave the Climote in situ (always on for Heating)

Then put 2 x Tado thermostats where the current wall thermostats are located

** Need to purchase 2 x Tado thermostats?

OR OPTION 2

I can replace the Climote with a Tado and it can control both zones and hot water (with the ext kit for HW)

** Do I just purchase 1 x Tado thermostat in this case? Or do I still need one at each zone?

You'll need one at each zone wired in, with the two former zone connections at the climote hardwired to live on the extension kit. There is a wireless connection on the extension kit fir one Tado thermostat, this can be used for one of the zones, which gives you the option of relocating that stat in a different location in the zone. The old wired fixed stat there would need to be turned up to always on, or removed and it's thermostat wire pair linked together.

Would replacing the Climote and/or thermostats with Tado be a DIY job? Should I worry about electrocuting myself? Does the fact that I'm even asking these questions suggest i need a professional!

• Advertisement

Swapping the old wired stats for two wire Tado, is roughly similar to replacing a single gang wall light switch, two wires. If you don't own a €3 phase testing screwdriver, which is used to indicate a live wire/terminal, and have never looked behind a wall switch, you should ask someone who has the basics at least, and can perform this, or help you.

Replacing the Climote has a few more wires involved, and could quickly become confusing if you removed them all, then weren't sure what each one was, live in, neutral, 3 switched lives out, earth. On the Tado Extension kit you will have to manually add some links from the live in to the common terminal of the HW relay, and the CH relay if you use the wireless facility for one stat, and you'll also have to tie in one or both CH switched lives out to the permanent live, which becomes the live in at the old stats.

So the first is easily diy, the second may be beyond a novice.

You should always worry about electrocution, we all have to go sometime, but being blasted by electrons wouldn't be my choice of exit, and even a brief mains shock is very unpleasant.

It's obviously permissable to diy even in these highly regulated times, else the manufacturers of these various devices wouldn't publish instructions that are aimed at competents rather than qualified electricians.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

I live in an old cottage that has a large stove with back boiler and also has oil heating.

A few years ago I swapped out my timer for the oil heating and replaced both the timer and immersion switch with some Sonoff TH16 modules with probes. I brought these into Home Assistant via custom code in ESPHome and configured them with some automations to do things like turn off immersion if cylinder reaches a certain temperature, turn off immersion after 30mins regardless and turn off oil heating if heat from back boiler is more than a set temp. I then added smart TRVs on all the radiators and brought them into the automations too and that allowed me to have full control over my heating, and individual room temperatures automatically. I can do a lot more like set heating based on ambient temperature across the house, or within an area, or boost the heating for 20 mins or whatever.

I stuck some of it up on Github a long time ago — a LOT has changed and been added to it since then, but you get the idea.

GitHub - nakquada/HomeAssistant: Tiny House Lovelace Theme

Reply moved from here

If you currently have three valved zones that can be called individually (from basic wall stats and or a simple three zone timer) then this starter kit will control time/temperature of 1 CH zone and timing of the HW zone when using the oil boiler. An additional Tado wall stat for €99 will control the second CH zone. It all depends on what plumbed zones you currently have, seperated by motorised valves. Have a look through this thread for a large resource on this.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭SQ2

I also currently have a Climote after buying a D2 rated bungalow which came with the house but interested in moving to Tado.

Can the Tado system work with the Climote (single zone plus water heating) or am I better off getting the tado in on its own.

Its a 3 bed bungalow which is east west facing using a Grant condensing boiler.

On sunny mornings the East facing rooms are too warm, and also some rooms not in use so would like to get a handle on the those.

3 bedrooms, large kitchen, sitting room and a cold bathroom, so what do I need to buy? Do I need to get the seperate thermostats to the TRV's for each room or are the thermostats on the TRV's enough? Can I upgrade to the seperate thermostats at a later point either?

Thanks!

Tado will just replace the Climote if you get the Tado wireless starter kit. The receiver of this will physically replace the Climote, with wire for wire connections for HW and CH. The Tado main stat that connects wirelessly to this can be placed in the most suitable location for general temperature control, Living, hall or kitchen.

You can use the existing TRV mechanical thermostats to balance the heating while the main stat is calling for heat, but to have a particular room call for heating you can replace the existing mechanical TRV head with a Tado smart one. In the bathroom, for example, this would allow the bathroom TRV to also call the boiler via the receiver, even if the main stat was not calling for heat. Similarly Tado TRVs could be installed to give seperate heating schedules to rooms not requiring heat at certain times, as well as closing off room heating to east facing rooms that are already past required temperature.

You can add Tado TRV heads in stages, start with a couple for say the bathroom and a reception room other than the main stat location. Any call for heat from a smart TRV will of course supply heat also to open radiators in other rooms, unless their mechanical TRVs are turned down lower than ambient temperature at the time. You'll quickly determine which rooms will benefit most from their own active smart TRV, and which work satisfactorily on a general call. Additional TRVs can be added at any time and incorporated into the App.

Thanks for that, is that the same product as above from the flogas site, or is it specifically "wireless"?

Yes, thats the wireless starter kit. A wall or table stand thermostat, (stand optional extra), which connects wirelessly to the extension kit receiver. This is mains powered and wired to your boiler or zone valves. The smallest item is the bridge, which is connected to your router LAN with a short ethernet cable, and powered by a USB cable from a phone style mains supply, or by plugging the USB cable into an empty USB port on the router for power.

The bridge is a hub which provides a proprietary local wireless network for the stat, the ext. kit, any TRVs you have or additional stat sensors, and connects them all to your router and home Internet and from there to your App and the Tado cloud server for your account.

Swapping the receiver for the climote is a competent diy job, and I've posted images of this before here, showing the simple swap of cables from Climote to Extension kit.

None of the Tado items are connected to your local WiFi network, they connect independently of that.

Thanks for your help Deezell, straight on to them...

• Advertisement

Just looking for thoughts on the best type of heating system on a budget…

just bought a new (old) house, currently a gas boiler, hot water cylinder, gravity fed shower.

im not doing a deep retrofit or anything like that so heat pump is not in consideration.

in my current home we are used to an electric shower, I’ve heard these are not great with combi boilers. Is a combi boiler, new rads and a pumped shower the best way to go?

I also have Tado installed in my current home so all rads are zoned by way of TRVs, I’ll definitely install Tado again as I’d like to retain this level of control

would appreciate thoughts,

cheers

Advertisement