Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Have never frozen but will be trying it out and have been looking into it lately.

I wonder does your quick defrost time have anything to do with the less airy dough. 3 hours doesn't seem a long time to get the dough back up to temp. I would normally give them 2 hours out of the fridge from just a cold fermentation.

From the videos I've watched they tend to advise taking them out of the freezer and placing overnight in the fridge, and then a couple of hours at room temp. They seem to still get an airy crust but they're pretty much professionals at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

This is an interesting topic - I've always read similar, and when I used to cold prove I'd take the dough out for a 3 hours before cooking. However, last year I got a home kit from the dough bros in Galway and their instructions surprised me a bit. Essentially, they said that the longer the cold ferment, the less time to prove at room temperature once you take them out of the fridge. Going from memory, I think they said if the dough has been in the fridge for 3 days, then it'll be good to go after half an hour out of the fridge. I've moved away from cold proving, but I must go back and give it a try - I think you're likely to get better leoparding with colder dough, which is something I know a lot of people are trying to do. As an aside, I suspect they don't do a bulk prove either - just ball straight away before proving in the fridge. Ah, now I want pizza lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hard to get my head around that Dough Bros advice. The idea that a longer cold ferment would require a shorter RT ferment is sound... but the RT ferment comes before the Cold in nearly all recipes.

While fermentation takes place when taking it out from the fridge, that stage is primarily about allowing the dough to get back up to a temp so that it's better/easier to work with. It's generally not classed as a fermentation stage if you get me.

With only 30mins out of the fridge, the dough would be hard to stretch and would struggle to hold its shape without wanting to spring back imo.

I've done a fair bit of experimenting, and I'll probably continue to do so, but for the moment I've settled on a 2hr bulk ferment, individually ball and do anything from 24-48 hour cold ferment. Taking them out at least 2 hours before making. I just find it the most convenient (no real work required on the day - there's enough to be doing baking them) and results are very good.

The one thing I've really noticed is that there can be a big difference in what is RT. In a poorly insulated home in the middle of winter, it involves me cosying them up snug near a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really thought that 6 months in, everyone would be selling off their little used pizza ovens.

But almost 3 years later, it seems that people are still as into it as ever. Fair play.

I can't remember the last time I made pizza - much simpler times before anyone knew the words "percentage hydration" and "leoparding". I did do a long, cold fermented, though!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Saturday night is Ooni night in our house, without fail.

We had a pizza from a food truck parked outside Decathlon/IKEA today. It was fun nattering with the guy, comparing dough recipes and oven temperatures, while he prepped and cooked the pizza.

Nice 'za too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah theyre definitely not a gimmick and they are here to stay. I think its because of the quality of pizza you can produce from them by using recipes available online, its on a par with what you would get in a good pizza restaurant. And it beats take away too as its not lying in a box steaming itself for 20 minutes before consumption. And then the cost, Dominoes now charging 22 euro for a medium sized pizza whereas with the Ooni you can produce better quality pizza for less than 2 or 3 euros. Plus kids love pizza and getting involved making the dough and helping to cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Am I missing something in the ooni app? You can add proof times cold or room etc but there's no instructions on how to make it 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve been obsessed with pizza for about 18 years. I think I could eat it everyday but I’m sure I say that about a lot of food.

Got a 9.2/10 tonight from one of my son’s friends. Mrs G! wanted to know where the .8 went. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

In the app on the bottom it has recipes and if you search classic dough it will come up. I presume you mean dough from the comment.

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry Doh 🙄 (excuse the pun) I use the calculator mostly because of time, amount of pizzas etc. It's great for that but I just throw it all in the mixer, bulk prove and ball it an hour or so before it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Never used The Dough Bros kits or any one else's for that matter but I did visit their restaurant in Galway last December. Had been really looking forward to a return visit after many years and was soo disappointed. When they started out it was just themselves making pizza and it was really top class but it is a much more commercial enterprise now and in my opinion has suffered as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

I was convinced that my purchase of an ooni was an impulse buy that would end up housing spiders in the shed - but to my surprise, it's used at least every other week. Makes top notch pizza. The headache of making dough isn't as much of an ordeal once you find a method / recipe that you are happy with. And now paying foe itself by saving me paying eye watering charges for takeaway pizza!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Anyone able to work out vitos poolish recipe at 60 % hydration the 70 is to hard to work with.the mixer doesn't mix it properly either.

Multiply the weight of flour by 0.6 ie 1000gr of flour equals 600 gr of water. But 60% hydration is a very tough dough, try 66% should be easy to work and add the last of the water slowly in small increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

So for 65 how do I work that out.i usually add the water slowly seems like the very last bit tips it over the edge making it like glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crazytealeaf

Can I ask if anyone has any advice to stop pizza from sticking to the peel while cooking? Using the ooni koda, but find when I stretch the dough out it always sticks to whatever it’s on. We were originally using a wire cooling tray to put the pizza on and into the oven, but it kept sticking to the wires. So we got a perforated pizza peel, thinking that would solve the issue, but the centre of the pizza is still sticking to the peel. We are using lots of flour to dust the peel before putting the pizza on, and have tried oil too, but we’re still having the same problem having to scrape the center of the pizza off the peel. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...sticking to the peel while cooking...

You're not cooking it on the peel, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Use flour and a wooden peel

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crazytealeaf

Eh I was yeah! I’m clearly missing a trick on how the pizza could possibly slide off the peel. My real life experience does not match up to the videos on YouTube where it just slips off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dust it with flour or semolina, pull the pizza onto it once built. Stretch it out a bit once on the peel, give it a little shake to ensure it’s not sticking. Peel all the way into the oven. Use the metal lip at the back for a guide. At a slight angle pull it out in a quick movement. Can always use the pre cooked bases you see in the shops for practice at first.

also don’t worry I still have the odd one stick after a few years of making pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

I was making lovely bases (for a beginner) using Tipo 00. Switched to “normal” white flour as I hadnt been to one of the big multiples so all the local centra had was normal flour.

Night and day interns of base. Not as airy, not as easy stretch. Back to Tipo 00 for good. Just need to plan better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

I use semolina on a metal peel and hardly ever sticks. If you leave it sit on the peel for too long before launching it will start to stick. Don't overload the toppings either. As mentioned, give it a little shake on the peel before launching to be sure it's moving freely. If not, you can lift one side of the pizza and blow under it to free it. I find Stadler Made on YouTube does some good videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

A trick I learned on here if the pizza is sticking is to lift one edge and blow gently under the pizza. It's always solved any sticking problems for me. I'd emphasise the word gently - it's amazing how light they are.

multiply the amount of flour by 0.65 ie 600 grams flour equals 600x .65 equals 390 grams water. The main thing is not to worry about it being sticky coming out of the mixer, scrape it out into a rough ball on counter and spread some olive oil on top and leave covered for 15 to 20 mins then lift and fold lift and fold. Watch the Vito video it doesn't matter how sticky it is initially the method works and you will form a nice tight ball to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What do you do about the hole in the trofast lid? Tape cling film across it or something?

Tetra pak lid from litre of milk snaps on perfectly underneath the lid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

65% hydration and 24 hr cold proofing.

Have been doing gr8 with dough and stretching ..just waiting to get a Ooni in future..happy with results on my home oven though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

That looks pretty good

• Advertisement

Looks great, can I get your recipe please

Advertisement