Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Not content with Shane Coleman butchering the Irish language with his direct translations, we now have whoever read the news this morning doing it too. It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'm far from a native gaeilgeoir but I do wonder how authentic an Irish phrase 'Tá tu suas chun Dáta' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I took to twitter last week to vent my frustration with this - and was amazed and not a little perturbed to see that it seems to be a widely used phrase, even by gaeilgeoirí! It's all over the shop, in all sorts of contexts - the only place I'd heard it used before was on NT and it still sets my teeth on edge - but it seems to be an accepted phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Is it not ok for a language to evolve with new phrases even if the context or how the phrase was built was influenced from another language ?

And if enough people use it, it becomes the norm anyway.

Grating though it may sound initially to purists, surely it's a step forward to in some part?

I meant to finish my post with something along these lines but got distracted.

I agree, but that particular phrase just sounds so madly clunky and made-up, I find it hard to believe it's actually "correct" - but there we go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've yet to hear anyone come up with a different, or more authentic way of saying "you are up to date" in Irish.

If you don't know the correct phrase, how do you know that that one is wrong?

Say what now?

Hi Heidi btw! Long time....hope you're well? 😉

Ok, I'm fluent and my mother lectured in the subject in UCG but I've never heard it expressed this way. Although maybe the ones who said they use it are not from the West or use Connemara Irish so to speak?

The problem with this translation is it is a direct translation, and direct translations rarely (if ever) work in most languages, but particularly Irish. It's also not a phrase you'd use in Irish as structurally and grammatically it just doesn't "work", if you follow my drift?

Example:

"The man with the beard crossed the road." would directly translate as "Chuaigh an fear leis an féasóg trasna an bóthar." or maybe "Thrasniagh an fear leis an bhféasóg an bóthar." You know what is being said here bit it's not correct/perfect. For example if I heard that in Irish I'd ask is it a bearded man or a man carrying a beard (lol) - get it?

"Chuaigh fear na féasóige trasna an bòthar." would be much more accurate and correct (dialect permitting).

On the broader points raised, of course there are exceptions in dialect and usage. For example, in Connemara or the Aran Islands you'll never hear a local calling their bicycle "rothar". They call it....and I'm not making this up....."an bicicle" (phoentically "an bicycle") They even adapt grammatical structure and say "mo bhicicle" (mo why-cycle). It's just one of those things.

Similarly in Cork/Kerry you'll get natives saying "misleáin" (for sweets) instead of "milseáin". I don't know why they do it, but they do.

Languages evolve sure, but that doesn't mean we have to accept every dodgy translation as accurate. Last time I posted on this I got a slew of messages telling me "isn't it great he (Coleman) is using the language". IMO and it's just MY opinion, if you're not going to use the language correctly on national radio then don't use it at all. By all means use your broken/imperfect Irish off air....and I welcome that. But on air gives it a formality and should be treated as such. There's a few Gaeilgeoirs in Newstalk - if he really wanted to learn a few expressions he could just ask them, instead of making it up as he goes along or using direct translations.

Sorry I meant to answer this in my last post. Again, it's not a phrase that would be used in Irish. The best I can come up with is

"Tá an t-eolas is deireanaí agat anois."

You have to change the whole sentence to make it sounds less "forced". That sentence in English is "You now have the latest information", not "You are now up to date". The problem is "up to date" just doesn't translate into Irish.

Hope that helps?

But it does translate into Irish.

Suas chun dáta is the translation.

It was so in 1991 as well.

Well hello stranger!

I don't disagree with any of what you've posted at all!

I also adore "mo bhicicle", and all the localisms that abound in the different regions - I spent a week on a Gaeltacht course in N Donegal, and for someone who learned a mish-mash of Connaught/Munster Irish in school, it was like trying to learn Swahili! It was almost literally a different language (they had a completely different word for "cailín" - it's so long ago now that I've forgotten what it was - and their "conas a tá tú" was "guí Dé mar a tá tú" - with apologies if that's incorrectly spelt!) and everything was pronounced completely differently (as indeed it is in English!)

I will never be able to make peace with "tá tú suas chun dáta" - but like I say, when I went looking online there it was all over the place, being used as an everyday phrase, by native speakers in all sorts of contexts - so even if it's not technically or lyrically correct, it seems to have found its way into the language along with the "wycicle" and similar to "je vais au camping pour le weekend" in French.

• Advertisement

I’ll beg to differ on that. It’s certainly not “classical” Irish. And with respect I’m not going to take a cd cover as evidence.

And what does that even mean in English? “My Róisín up to date”?

Again, you can’t just directly translate one language into another - and that’s what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I always viewed Newstalk as the more serious radio station but in the last year they've brought in the trash machine, have had politicians guest hosting shows and are up Berties hole. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I didn't say I knew it was wrong. Quite the opposite.

In a lot of cases you can just translate from one language to another.

Not every sentence is unique to one language only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,993 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What's the Irish for "If Shane Coleman was a lollipop he'd lick himself"

I didn’t say that sentences were unique to one language. My point is that direct translation doesn’t work in most cases, and in Irish particularly so….it’s not about uniqueness, it’s about grammar and structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

In fairness, he has often acknowledged that his Irish is poor and he wishes it was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I'm late to see this, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one! "Ta tu suas chun Data" may be right, there may be no other way of saying it, but every time I hear it I think surely not?? Anyway suffice to say its currently driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Up to date is an idiom specific to English. The three words used together convey the meaning but the same three words used together in Irish and probably other languages mean nothing.

Think of the phrase ‘up to ninety’ meaning worried etc. Surely people can see how meaningless ‘suas chun nocha’ would be in Irish. Instead you would find a different way of conveying the same meaning.

Really don’t mean to sound condescending or anything but this is really basic to me. Grade As were few and far between when I did my Leaving. I know the top grades are ten a penny these days. It does make me wonder.

I really don’t know how there isn’t one person in Newstalk who can do something about that ‘suas chun data’. It makes them sound so stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess we are going to have to put up with it until the end of Shock-tin na Bosca-Ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

In have noticed plenty of English phrases used in broadcasts other languages, German for instance. They simply use the English phrase untranslated as is.

There is something pathetic and backward about the need to translate every last phrase from English. It reminds me of the alleged expulsion from Gaeltacht schools of an unfortunate student who absent mindedly said "bless me" after sneezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

This is great craic on Andrea Gilligan right now. Someone comparing the first confession to Hitler Youth. I'd bet good money the child wouldn't care only the parent is projecting all of their own "concerns" on to them.

I remember doing it myself many years ago. Simply explain to the child that it's a formality and not to take it seriously. Why are people so adamant that they shouldn't be asked to explain anything to their kids?

You can tell Andrea thinks the topic is embarrassing. She's probably wondering what sins she committed in a past life to have to listen to this 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Someone in Newstalk needs to put a gag on Ciara Kelly. With her fake outrage and bombastic bluster she's turning into a kind of George Hook with t1ts

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

outrage over Green lights versus White lights or something? I just came in at the end of it. Who cares! This is just bluster to get people to text in and engage so the text lines will be "lighting up"!!

Couldn't give less of a shiny sh1te whether buildings worldwide are lit up green or not on St Junket's Day, a controversy all in Ciara's little head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Jaysis. Dil Wickremashinghe is back looking for attention again!

She's an absolute dose, now in wacky relationship(s).

Is a referendum on polygamous Marriage the next woke cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

I missed the start of it, but it came across that she was a bit disappointed and bored now that a lesbian couple is considered normal. She wants to be on the edge, which is hard when everyone accepts your choices.

Advertisement