Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know what he said. As a father it is a struggle to get enough time with your kids. I would dream of a life where you get serious amounts of money for a fraction of the hours required for a normal person that has to hold down a full time job. BS of the highest order from McGoldrick which is why I lost any respect for him. A pro footballer does what? 5 hours work per day? I work double that and another 10 hours a week volunteering and am still available for Ireland should they ever come calling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No one actually said they wanted him back did they?

edit - apologies someone actually did. I don't agree with that. We have better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

To be fair to McGoldrick retiring early could guarantee him another year playing at this level which in turn could be another 500k for retirement. Not that he hasn't earned a decent wedge already but when you retire at 36 or 37 it's a long stint and a decent pension pot is needed.

That's really what he should of said though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Mcgoldrick playing for Ireland probably had a lot to do with Mick McCarthy, he picked Mcgoldrick off the scrap heap and brought him into Ipswich.

hes gone on to have an exceptional second half of his career and a financially secure future. If I was Mcgoldrick I’d have a big picture of Mick above the fire place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That's silly stuff. There is a massive gap between League 1 and the championship even.

Huge gap. Even bigger between L1 and International. However the lad is 22 not 300 so it's a better debate and conversation than McGoldrick.

McGrath - SPL

Hourihane - L1

Knight - L1

Can't see any reason why he wouldnt be worth a place in the upcoming game.

We're sorted anyway.

We have been approved as Mikey's second choice.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0308/1360959-johnston-gets-green-light-to-play-for-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

All I hear from this is waaaa waaaa waaaa, he's got it easier than me so he should shut up and get on with things. Losing all respect for him, what are you like five ffs 😂

Seems Sammie Szmodics had issues with his passport and Lancashire Telegraph are reporting he's recently got his passport sorted and available for selection.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I reckon between Azaz, McGrath, Sykes, Smallbone and Smodiczs we will get minimum of one and maximum of two in the squad for these games. I'd be leaning towards Sykes and Smallbone myself but the other three have things going for them too.

McGrath - only one to have done it and played well in an Ireland shirt already.

Azaz - probably the most on form of all these players and arguably all eligible Ireland players this season.

Smodzics - playing at the highest level of these 3.

No chance of losing Azaz to Israel you would think.

For this window I think we should be taking advantage of the fact we've two home games and naming an extended squad. Bring lads in to integrate them into the squad. The only other window we've got where the home game comes first is Octobers games against Greece and Gibraltar.

Just to throw a squad out there:

Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers.

Coleman, Doherty, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Duffy, Omobamidele, McClean, O'Dowda*

Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Hendrick, Browne, Smallbone

Ferguson, Obafemi, Ogbene, Idah, Parrott

That's 23 that you'd need for a match day squad and feel it's close enough to the 23 he'll name. Could add Coventry, Hodge, Szmodics, Azaz, Johnston, and Sykes. That makes it 29 players in camp training.

Coventry is our closest like for like replacement for Cullen and would have him in to train. Similar I'd have Hodge in, who technically is underage for the U21s, but think training with the senior squad is more beneficial than stuck with Crawford for a friendly. Let others who haven't played with the U21s yet get minutes this window.

Those two would fulfil the deeper roles, and you've got Szmodics and Azaz for the advanced role. Similar Azaz could play as a supporting forward out wide or closer to the striker.

*Didn't add Manning because it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get picked again.

It''ll be shortsighted if Manning isn't in it but I think the issue goes beyond football. McClean proably won't be first choice next year and Dowda just isn't great. That really leaves himself as the LWB performing regularly and consistently at a decent level. I also think we need to be getting a look at Coventry at this level. I'd be looking at giving him time against Latvia. NO need for us to be looking at Hendrick in that game. We know what Knight and Cullen give us too. Going with Coventry and Hodge in that game in place of Knight and Cullen might make sense. Apart from that the squad and team picks itself at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully Johnson is not 'Scott Hogan II' in terms of expectations that turned out to be a rather false dawn

Years ago we were worried Hogan was going to pick England

I wouldn't go with Hodge and Coventry playing together in midfield but would rather give them 45 mins each in the role that Cullen normally plays. Cullen is like the Duracell bunny so would give him a start next to either player and allowed a bit more freedom to push on. Third and most advanced midfielder I'd be starting and giving the 90mins to Smallbone.

Cullen as the 8 in midfield I'd like to see because as well as being our best 6 I think he'd also be up there as our best 8. He'd have the engine to go box to box all game like Molumby but is better on the ball. Long term would hope Knight kicks on to fulfill this role or Smallbone. His best performance for the U21s was when he replaced Kilkenny to partner Coventry and we played an out and out 10 in Noß with Smallbone playing box to box.

• Advertisement

I dont think johnson will have as much of an impact as hogan and thats saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Hodge should be in next squad and get minutes. From what I've seen of him he's agressive and is an excellent tackler. If he's keen I'd get him capped, he's played enough in cup and league to get the call up when you look at other options.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like Kelleher will leave Liverpool in the summer. Hopefully he gets a good transfer and does well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Johnston will probably be the new Alan O'Brien/Daryl Horgan. 5th choice winger, few caps in friendlies, maybe a few competitive substitute ones if theres injuries and he happens to be inform at that moment.

New Ireland crest looks good but not sure about the whole Ireland Football slogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It's like they tried to incorporate more of the shamrock into the template of the 1990 crest.

They tried to incorporate everything but failed at nailing anything.

It's a definite improvement but still not great. They should have kept the crest similar to that of the centenary jerseys they had a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've never seen a branding announcement from any brand that is universally liked.

That being said I think it's a smart move to take FAI off the shirt and a rebrand as a symbolic change from the toxic Delaney era. Hopefully it pays off in attracting a big sponsor for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not amazing, but it's not too bad either I think... and at least we won't be confused with the Islamabad Football Association anymore!

Castore stuff is nice. Cant wait to see the kits.

Not too familiar with them but a lot of people saying their quality is not great

Ah I see. I was going on the visual. Newcastle's away strip is nice. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Soccer jerseys have gone poor in terms of quality though these days. I suppose we won't see change out of 75 euro either.

I like this one myself

U17s are currently leading Ukraine 2-0 at half time in the second Elite Phase qualifier with Mason Melia scoring both goals.

Finished 3-0 even after going down to ten men. Mason Melia hat trick whose still only 15 so underage again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think we have better tbh.

Doesn't mean that ship hasn't sailed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Be a nice option on the bench alright. But i'd rather be starting Ferguson and Obafemi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

From a talent standpoint I don't see that been an issue. He is a genuinely good attacking wide mid with an eye for a goal who adds quality to our squad in an area where we do not have much genuine quality. The main issue will be can he stay fit and that remains to be seen. I hope he can but up till now in his career and he is 23 he hasn't been able to stay injury free for any lengthy spell.

That and the away white version of that have always been 2 of my all time favourite Ireland tops. Disgusted that we will be using castore, a dreadful brand with horrible product quality. Looks like I won't be buying any new Ireland tops for the foreseeable. Hopefully the castore deal is not a long term one.

Their product quality is horrendous. The FAI are trying to make a fresh new positive start for the association which is great and overall I like the new crest but when it comes to a kit deal they could not have picked a much worse option.

Agreed. I like the new crest overall. But the Football at the bottom just doesn't sit well for me. Would have preferred if that was Eire underneath in the crest instead.

What makes it worse is the fact Ireland is a bigger font size than football. At least have them both the same size.

Agree would have looked better if it said Eire rather than football, but seems the FAI are trying to separate the teams from the toxic brand by now having separate social media pages called Ireland Football for all updates regarding the teams. Wonder how much someone got paid for that genius idea, or somewhat copying what the English FA did.

Tom cannon on target today. Parrott hauled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Castore confirmed as new kit supplier until 2028

That's a long spell. Any mention of a date for the new jersey yet?

• Advertisement

Balls.ie done a mock up. I think it's nice enough and we have had worse for sure.

Obviously with new crest.

U17s made hard work of it but have qualifed as group winners for this year's Euros. Went behind twice to Cyprus but won 3-2 with a 96th minute winner and finished top of the group on goals scored.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Released next week. Very similar to the 2012 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not great but far from the worst we have ever had. I'll stick to my Oneills 80s replica though. Not justifying paying mad money for Castore kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I hope the real kit is nothing like that. It's poxy looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Some sloppy defending for the goals alright and the way they were set up left them open that better opposition would have made them pay. Turley being suspended was missed big especially with other first choice CB Jake Grante missing.

Some good young home based attacking talent in the team when you consider the star player Trent Kone Doherty only played the first 45 mins against Ukraine. Ike Orazi and Mason Melia are still only 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Say I'll pick up a polo shirt instead of a Jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

People throwing their toys out of the pram because they do Rangers jerseys!

In England they have Aston Villa, Charlton Athletic, Milton Keynes Dons, Newcastle United, Preston North End, Salford City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and in Europe they have Union Saint-Gilloise, Bayer Leverkusen, Genoa, Feyenoord, Sevilla, Almería, Athletic Club.

I like this mock up

Don't like the collar or button but each to their own. Their designs are nice and i think without a sponsor on the jersey will be nice. The English jerseys are ruined with chinese gambling companies all over them. Looking at their currents clubs they tend to go for a plain design which will be nice. Not sure what the major issue is with castore.

Can't be any worse than this

Or this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement