Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clover & Bloat

Options
  • 09-03-2023 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering about overseeding silage paddocks with white clover seed as is the recommendation now to diversify the swarth and hopefully reduce fertiliser costs.. But the question of bloat is in my mind.. We are dairy beef and bloat isnt a massive problem but it does happen and can be a total pain.. HAve folks seen much increase in incidences after increasing clover in swarths ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think you can get something (anti bloating agent) to put in the water if you are setup that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Never had an issue with it, your only going to be adding white clover to an existing sward. Ive heard of bloat happening a bit in dairy farms alright, but I think it's mainly because of the ryegrass monoculture and introducing clover to the diet might come as a bit of a shock. But over seeding will gradually bring it into the sward I'd say you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Were rearing sucks from dairy herds so we see a bit most years... just dont want to be swamped either..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve grazed continentals and bucket reared dairy stock on the grass in the picture with no problems with bloat.

One of the most important things to do is don’t let them into it hungry. If that means the paddock they come off isn’t grazed out fully then so be it. If they come into clover hungry they’ll gorge on it and you will have bloat. Let them in full and they pick at it and gives them time to adjust.

There’s a serious thrive off it, especially for continentals. I’ve finished continentals on that grass and had them kill out at 61 and 62% of their yard weight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cooking oil in the water trough is supposed to prevent bloat. As DBK says above no problem if you move them in before they are really hungry.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement