Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the Catholic Church still gave control over some schools in Ireland? It's time this changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

How exactly is the catholic church less Christian than islam ? Who don't even believe in Jesus being divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

hilarious. dublin is riddled with absolute monstrosities that take up crazy amounts of space in prime locations. artane, donneycarney, raheny, finglas, but to name a few. although i think they've demolished the one in finglas. enormous buildings that no one goes to any more. it's hilarious how the anti-woke brigade posters are always defending the catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is it in a nutshell...Vast majority people just getting on with life and no issues. Some people shouting and roaring about nothing.

Quit living in the past with your fake outrage and maybe try embrace harmony and progress and communicate.

I don't go to church, and I am not very religious. But once my family are happy and being cared for, I am happy. There is absolutely nothing happening within the church that is causing me or my family distress. And I would say the exact same is the case for pretty much everyone. And nothing at all in school that is causing my children any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

Internet Heroes need an enemy. If there isn't one, invent one e.g. the far right, the Church (only the Catholic one obviously, cos its a nice safe one to bash)

they are the enemy. have you not seen what they've done in this country to women and children?

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with being a Catholic if you are one by the way. Hopefully you don't let threads like these get to you.

People do evil things and should be held to account. If you believe in Jesus, follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Only one religion class a week?

While we're telling anecdotes...in our local primary school there were quite a few children not doing communion for various reasons. They were able to leave the class during communion prep and go to a general area to do their homework. An SNA would mind them. The SNA sometimes helped the kids with their homework if they asked. However...a parent found out about this arrangement and arrived at the school to complain to the principal that some kids were getting "extra tuition". The principal explained the arrangement and said it was working well. Anyway the busybody got some other parents involved and eventually the principal had to back down. The non Catholic kids were put back into the class and told to sit at the back and draw pictures. That was all they were allowed to do. This was 4 years ago. Nice.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So will we tear down Christ Church and St Patricks as well, I mean they take up a lot of space so I prsume you want them gone also.

Well no because they're beautiful buildings. Suburban dublin has horrible 1950s/60s churches everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's good that your kids are getting through school with no issues. But it's not really much of an argument.

If Catholic church/religion was removed from your school, nothing would change - your kids would continue to get through with no issues.

And just because there are no issues caused by the church/religion in your school, doesn't mean there aren't issues in other schools. Cluedo Monopoly has pointed out one a few posts later. And I've seen other examples - where parents of children who were active members of another religion tried to get their child removed but the staff wasn't there to supervise them in a different space, so they had to sit at the back.

Unless there's something that the church control of/relgious influence in schools actually adds to the school, then, in the best case scenario, it's still no better than a school without that influence. It can only be the same or worse.

• Advertisement

Don't be silly, just the ones they specifically don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah no we can't be selective, we need more space for houses according to the other poster he wants them all gone and you say prime locations are being taken up with Churches and are also in favour of tearing them down so lets do the job right.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

All 3 of mine go to a catholic school. Its our only option living in the sticks. Its a nice school; nice reputation - really lovely kids and teachers. Its very funny too as alot of local COI kids have started attending too for various reasons with problems in their own school or access to school transport suiting kids. My own dad said in his day this wouldn't have been tolerated on either side so its nice to see that change. No issue at all opting out.

I did say to another parent in passing that religion should be taken out of school and she nearly had a melt down so parents would be split on this too. Funny though my own sister wanted to do fhc with her kids but lives abroad and are educated in a completely secular school. Our school were happy to include her kids and made a real fuss of them even letting them attend the special prep times. The kids actually commented on how nice our school was and how welcome they were made feel.

On the historic abuses of the church lately we have discovered both my grandmothers were in mother and baby homes. One in the more infamous one in the west. My own mother felt very strongly on the subject that yes the church was very wrong but she puts primary blame on parents/families abdicating responsibility of their daughters and their children to these institutions. For a while she was in a Catholic home in the UK. She says like all walks in life there were some angels and some demons. It wasn't a loving environment but she was fed/educated and cared for while her mother was unable to keep her which was more then her grandparents would have done for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

There are some here. Why isn’t the government setting up schemes to get more of them over?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm sure they're perfectly happy in their own countries.

Most migration flows from poor to rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Let's ignore the fact it was the church that generated the kind of society that unmarried mothers couldn't keep their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you think the Catholic Church has changed you're deluding yourself.

Have you actually read any recent children's religion schoolbooks?

What is the justification for control of 90% of primary schools when the number of nominal (never mind believing or practising) catholics is way below that?

We're only a more liberal and free society today because we have removed church influence over most areas of society - but they are hanging on to schools and hospitals with a death grip despite not paying a red cent to run them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Completely missing the point

Many people want nothing at all to do with the church and as adults they're perfectly free to do that. But then they become parents and find they've no choice but to enrol their child in a school controlled by the church, where their child will be systematically discriminated against for not being a catholic.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

See the problem here is that you want to crush and destroy the church, as opposed to trying to live side by side.

It's not good enough that there have been very clear changes through the years, and that that church are not near as pervasive/influential anymore. Your view is that if they are not wiped out, we have a problem. But guess what? Most people have fook all problem with the catholic church and our school/education systems. Because really, there is no problem for the vast majority.

Maybe in your bubble. I don't know anyone who would want the Catholic church anywhere near our schools and hospitals.

I am in no bubble. I know of nobody, personally, fuming because their children are being educated in catholic schools, or of anyone fuming because they age being cared for in hospitals with any catholic influence.

Absolute nonsense mountain out of molehill stuff here.

So who are all these people you seem to be aware of that are so unhappy in the year 2023 with all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't think he is the one living in a bubble!

If you put it to the vote which has been done recently most parents would vote to hang on to the catholic patronage and ethos.

Anyway your statement about knocking down churches tells me all I need to know about where you're.coming from!

People send their kids to Catholic schools because (a) they have no choice and (b) they tend to be better schools as a result of longevity and reputation. However as osarusan said in a great post above, if you took the 'Catholic' notions out of the school, nothing would change in effect. And nobody would really care.

Imagine if the church sacraments were taken out of the schools and parents/priests were told to do the preparation themselves, nobody would turn up at communion/confirmation. It's a farce really. Young teachers do not like teaching religion either, these see it as a complete chore! The vast majority don't believe what they are teaching.

Good for you....kinda rude to ask such a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ve obviously missed the point when you appeared to be saying something entirely different from what you’ve always said, which there is no truth to.

It’s impossible to quantify in any meaningful way how many people want nothing to do with the church but I don’t mind taking your claim of many at face value because I know what you mean. It’s the finding they have no choice bit has always been untrue, whatever about their development of a better relationship with the church by having nothing to do with it, and then wanting to use the church when it suits them and expecting that it’s the church should get with the program, not them who want nothing to do with the church and only call on the church when they need a favour, and only then when they’re desperate and there’s nobody else to call on because everyone else is sick of their shìt and have no interest in offering them any kind of support. The church doesn’t do booty calls.

You want to blame the church for the failures of the State to provide services for those people who do not wish to avail of the services provided by the church. I have no doubt that you understand why people who don’t have the same relationship with the church as you do would object to your blaming the church for the failures of the State, and that’s if they cared at all for the fact that it is the State which upholds the discrimination against you, not the church.

The church would welcome your children with open arms and wouldn’t treat them any differently than every other child, which is obviously a fundamental problem for you because you want the school to treat you child differently and object to your child being treated as though they are no different than every other child on the basis that every child receives the same education in a formal education setting in a school where it’s ethos and the services it provides, is underpinned by religion, same in the hospitals you mentioned.

It’s the State which ultimately bears full responsibility for the circumstances in which parents such as yourself find themselves, not the church. That’s why if you’re going after the church you’re simply achieving nothing, only letting the State off the hook.

Problem is that you lack the support to tackle the State because everyone else while they may not have a good relationship with the church, they’ll put up with it because their more immediate concerns are their own children, not yours, not their neighbours, not anyone else’s children, just their own, and as long as they’re not prepared to tackle the State and settle for the church to provide an education for their children, it’s they who are maintaining the status quo, not the people who don’t have the issues you do with the church who have the same rights as parents as you do and to whom the State owes and fulfills it’s obligations to them.

The State doesn’t fulfil its obligations to you, because it’s not convenient for it to do so. I’d be having a word with them about that if I were in your position, through the Courts if necessary. Fortunately I haven’t had to go through the Courts yet in addressing having experienced unlawful discrimination, the mere mention of it has a way of making people come to their senses rather quickly.

Advertisement