Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Show me the link where it's illegal to ask for a work reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was quoted earlier in one of these threads by another poster.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Here's a rare thing. A politician telling the truth and explaining that the eviction ban would make things worse if extended. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2023/03/10/paschal-donohoe-says-government-knows-very-difficult-consequences-of-lifting-eviction-ban/

Have no doubt, all his rivals know it's the right move, but they won't admit it, because they don't care about doing the right thing. What they care about is sounding like they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

https://www.ihrec.ie/your-rights-old/i-have-an-issue-with-a-service/i-have-an-issue-about-accommodation/

It is unlawful to publish or display an advertisement that indicates an intention to discriminate on any of the discriminatory grounds, including the housing assistance ground. For example, advertisements that contain any of the following phrases may indicate an intention to discriminate on the housing assistance ground –

• ‘rent allowance/housing assistance payments not accepted’;
    • ‘professionals only’;
    • ’would suit professionals’;
    • ‘work/professional references required’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is an Irish thing. In every other European country, you can ask for such employer references. The hoops you go through in the UK for example to rent privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

More nonsense. If that's the case then it should be illegal for employers filling a vacancy to ask if a candidate has a job presently. Haven't needed new tenants for several years, but if someone is working obviously that's a good sign. It's logical to ask if your tenant has a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If your going to count inward migration then offset it with outward migration.

The problem is a simple one, its not landlords, its not emigration. Those factors might not help but they are not the problem.

The problem is a lack of supply that has been growing for years. The government were asleep at the wheel when house construction numbers should have been much higher and now they are trying to regulate their way out of the mess and its only making it worse in a lot of ways.

We need 50k houses a year to be built currently, the government is targeting 30k this year.

This problem isnt going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Lack of supply is, of course, the problem and one of the reasons for it is that vested interests tend to lobby the government against supply citing the dangers of "oversupply" if too much investment is made into the market.

@Spacehopper! wrote:

Private renters, who are students, young and finding their feet, first job, first serious relationship. Just moved to the country, town, city... Basically it suits these people to be mobile, they want to live close to work, the night life... Eventually these people will settle down an buy a place.

Social renters who rent from the state. They need social support for what ever reason. They might be single or families.. These people will probably rent this property long term possibly forever.

That's kind of the traditional view of accommodation in Ireland and I think part of why we are where we are.. The problem comes when something like the financial crisis happens and banks tighten up their lending rules to individuals. Now some people may find themselves in an extended rental situation and, because supply is limited, those rents will be high. These high rents then make it hard to save for a deposit to buy forcing further rents.

Another problem is that there will never be enough social housing to go around as it is very expensive for the state to build the necessary number of houses.

As I see it there are two problems:

1. Not enough overall supply. Generally we need to build more units for both renting and owner-occupier purchase.
    2. Change the attitude towards renting and put it on a more professional footing.

On the second point, just from reading comments here, you get the impression that landlords don't consider their rental properties as business assets but rather one of their homes that they just happen not to be occupying at present. The thought process might be along the lines of "Why not make a bit of money out of it while I don't currently need it. Then if I or a family member need it, we can break the contract, evict the tenants and move in."

This situation has gone on so long and the conversation has been dominated to such an extent by small landlords that many might think this is the only way to go forward: make the experience of renting so shítty and insecure and things will sort themselves out. But it did not sort itself out and the state was forced to introduce rent controls and, more recently, a deferment on no-fault evictions which is now coming to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On the second point, just from reading comments here, you get the impression that landlords don't consider their rental properties as business assets but rather one of their homes that they just happen not to be occupying at present. The thought process might be along the lines of "Why not make a bit of money out of it while I don't currently need it. Then if I or a family member need it, we can break the contract, evict the tenants and move in."

This situation has gone on so long and the conversation has been dominated to such an extent by small landlords that many might think this is the only way to go forward: make the experience of renting so shítty and insecure and things will sort themselves out. But it did not sort itself out and the state was forced to introduce rent controls and, more recently, a deferment on no-fault evictions which is now coming to an end.

That's a gross generalisation that doesn't apply to huge swathes of people who own one or two properties and rent them exclusively, properly, fairly and legally.

As I did, until I decided to get out before I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This is were we differ

"Another problem is that there will never be enough social housing to go around as it is very expensive for the state to build the necessary number of houses."

We've become reliant on LL's to take social tenants on HAP. It's not their problem it's the State's, but along they come with a big stick and loads of laws and LL's so nope see ya I'm selling because of it bye.

Between 2015 and 2022 we had near or below zero rates and our economy was doing well we could have borrowed to build but the tools in the Dail didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

maintenance? how often is a landlord doing maintenance on a rental property?

handful of times a year maybe if we're being generous?

admin? i guess they do have to make sure the rental is registered and compliant etc. ohh the horror! Surely thats a one time thing at the start of the rental....not like they're doing "admin" daily

I certainly agree that it is not the job of individual landlords to take social housing tenants. In fact I have said earlier on this thread that the problem arises from an over-reliance on small-time amateur landlords many of whom should not have been in the business in the first place.

It is the State's responsibility however to ensure a functioning market. This requires two things: a) sufficient supply and b) appropriate regulation to ensure security for both tenant and landlord.

Post edited by Emblematic on

Master of the Universe

I never said I agreed with it. The poster above me asked for a link to where it is online, so I found it.

That particular website I found via a page on Citizensinformation.ie.

It's not scheduled, you could be on holidays and the fridge packs in or a tenant unblocks the shower with screwdriver and flood the place. (this happened to my father, the guy only realised because flood went through a celling into a smoke detector and set off the alarm)

What they are saying is this is truly a passive investment. You buy it, they manage it and you pay them a cut.

Well they failed, all the laws they brought out have driven LL's out of the market. We'd all be better of if they had stayed out of the market and instead build housing.

Also stop insulting people by calling them amateur or saying they had no business been LL's. They provided a service that state wouldn't. And took in people and families the state wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've said it before and I'll say it again, put the responsibilities of both tenants and all landlords alike on a much firmer statutory footing and treat the renting of property to people to make their life in as the business transaction it is, in terms of tax, insurance, standards, energy efficiency and maintenence requirements and give everybody certainty on both sides of the equation for the next 50 years, and private providers will flock back to the market.

The market must be fair, it must be trustworthy and it must be predictable that there will be long term tenancy for those who need it and a long term capital gain and fair model of running costs for those who invest.

• Advertisement

i get it. landlording is income for not working or at best, minimal work. Its getting money for having money.

some compare it to having a job but it's as onerous as owning a car.

you have to maintain it, take it for checkups/oil change etc, do your "admin", ie. tax and insure it but i don"t see anyone saying owing a car is a job.

The amount of maintenance required would depend on the size, type and age of the property. A significant number of tenants won't even change a light bulb anymore.

Admin often includes attending property management meetings, arranging insurance, arranging repairs/maintenace, arranging/hosting viewings , registering with the RTB, drafting contracts, responding to tenants queries, banking, filing tax returns, audits and reviewing legislation changes.

It's not like they get 50 grand a year, take home is typically 4 to 8 grand. Do you expect them to put a 40 hour week into each property for that kind of money?

you're being disingenuous with the take home remark.

once the tenants have paid off the landlords mortgage for them, they will have a valuable asset that they can sell for as much as the market will pay them for or they can sit on it and wait for it to gain more value.

if landlording is so unprofitable, then i wish landlords would stop the constant bellyaching and sell up cause this whole "poor me' act is fooling no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

And that's the worst of it. A few on here don't think they should pay tax. Repugnant mind set. Complain about some of the regulations etc by all means ,but please with your extra properties don't try claim the poor mouth. Laughable really.

Master of the Universe

lol not this again. I think one person ten pages back made some badly put together post about not paying tax and you're like a dog with a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

And the poster who said it was none other than Ham Sandwich! Y’know, that boardsie who will always post some random, opposing view on a thread just to get a rise out of someone. It worked too so kudos, I suppose, to ham sandwich 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I make it 3 now. What's the number of people that it needs to be in order for me to be allowed talk about it? There's also been multiple claiming the poor mouth styled posts.

If someone is in your car and you want them to leave how many hoops do you need to jump through? How many solicitors letters do you need to send them

If someone damages your car its easy to get some comeback.

that depends....have you rented your car to someone else, or are we just talking about a non-rental situation and you're giving someone a lift?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You are making very big statements calling people 'repugnant' on a thread with almost 400 posts in relation to what, 3-4 posts, without even quoting said posts for a bit of context.

I've been reading this thread from the start and don't remember anyone making any big, bold memorable statements about being landlords and not wanting to pay tax. If they did they were very insignificant (probably ill thought out) posts.

Advertisement