Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Am I correct in thinking to avoid getting / sending those stamp duty letters it would be easier to wait until after April 2nd to order the credit card after cancelling the old one as that is the start of the tax year for card stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The €30 stamp duty charge is for the preceding year or when an account is closed. So you definitely want the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It seams to me that they are going to have people go onto the waitlist for the credit card until after April to avoid having to deal with the letters.

I mean can you see them and RITA deal with the letter's they get?

Who has so far gotten a real invitation beside the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

They will have to deal with it regardless, it's just a case of whether they will deal with it this year or next year.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, if you have no credit card account on the night of April 1st (going into the 2nd), you will not pay the stamp duty twice and you won't need any letter.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/other-stamp-duty/financial-cards/credit-cards-charge-cards.aspx

• Advertisement

If you are waitlisted for joint accounts they have started sending out invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

Worked in a centralised call centre for An Irish Bank and can confirm that if you call with a difficult query after 4:30 and it looks like the agent may have to stay after 5, the call will start having issues and will drop. Was absolutely rampant.

We were all young and didn't give a rats about the consequences if we were pulled up. You'd just say the call dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was thinking more that the bank rep might pass it on to somebody on the next shift as the revolut rep did but your suggestion is probably more likely.

No, all of us in the office I was in would leave at 5.30 latest. You wouldn't stiff a colleague with a call like that coming up to 5. Just fiddle with the phone connection a bit so the cutouts could be heard on the call recording, say hello a couple of times, and then hang up.

actually, do BoI or AIB even have an evening shift for support?

• Advertisement

There used to be a 24 hour office in Naas for AIB, but since Covid I think it's all 9-5, so much for 24 hour banking.

Awaiting you imminent apology @ohnonotgmail 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I dunno where the conversation on this has gone I've lost it a little but from my experience I have had Revolut customer service pass me on to a colleague at shifts end.

I am getting the feeling that revolut is becoming more and more like a Multi-level marketing organisation than a bank.

Daily mails about how I can earn every increasing amount of money if I just refer one more friend.

Mails and in app messages how I can advance on the waitlist for the credit card, if I just refer one more friend.

Sure, they claim they have made a profit (which is not getting questioned by the regular in 2 countries) but the consistent chasing for new customer makes me sceptical overall. Sure, we have the bank guarantee in case things go bad, but it's getting questionable now in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Its what i like about N26. Not much messages. I rarely use revolut but emails and notifications happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The numbers gota go up! It’s pretty aggressive these days and a minefield compared to what it used to be, but still incredibly useful. I think the app was like 30MB when I first used it and only had one function. It was glorious. Coming in at 500MB now which is nuts with all that extra nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As with a lot of apps, the cache can become bloated. In Android, go into Settings/Apps, select Revolut, then click on 'Storage' and clear the cache. You won't see any difference when you start the app i.e. you won't have to login from scratch as if you reinstalled the app.

I just did this, the cache alone was over 300MB, total storage usd by the app is now 255MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Just turn them off? Settings => Privacy => Marketing. Last email I received from Revolut was in January, and that was a "Stay safe from fraud" notice

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The referral bonus for new accounts has decreased, not increased.

I don't get any of those notifications - just notifications about my own transactions, which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was €60 and they cut it to €50. Must have put it back up.

Joint Accounts 

Based on my experience and opinion here some points that people might find usefull.

• The account is indeed joint; it shows up as such on cards and outgoing transfers (including SEPA instant).

• Important the funds belong to both users, but a single person can close the account and make transactions.

• The data of the joint owner will be sent to each other (address, phone, email, name) 

• Cards can be issues to each individual but will show “joint account” on it. At least on the virtual card.

• ATM withdraw limits are joint to 400€ (per account not per card)

• Loading via card to the joint account did not work directly, had to go via a standard account.

• Opening a joint account does not close an existing individual's account.

• Opening a joint account give an Irish IBAN (or relevant other IBAN available)

• SEPA instant is available and shows both account owners as sender.

This looks like a good deal if you require a joint account, especially as you can keep separate individual accounts in the same app.

Before you decided to test this, please do your own diligence as to the account features and Revolut; my experience is not an endorsement of Revolut or a suggestion not to use Revolut, it's an opinion based on my own experience or public availability information.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

It looks like AIB no longer allows topping up Revolut from a Debit card, at least not for me. When I try adding money, the AIB App asks me to approve the transaction as before, but once I approve the transaction, it returns to Revolut telling me my bank does not permit adding money with this card:

I tried a several times on Friday and this morning in case it was a temporary glitch before doing the top-up by bank transfer. My previous top-ups (last one was mid January) from the AIB Debit card went fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is it possible to open a Revolut joint account yet (am on the waiting list).

If you are invited to test than yes, otherwise it's the usual waitlist game as with most new functions.

If you are on the waitlist, then sooner or later you will get either a mail or you will notice the feature.

Go into "hub" look for "Essentials" and choose "Joint" if it's offered, from there you can start the process. Once done the other person needs to accept the invitation and once that has been done you can start using the account.

In my opinion as with everything Revolut only Revolut knows when they will allow you to move from one of their various wait lists for features or functions into the group that actually can use a feature.

---

Before you decided to test this, please do your own diligence as to the account features and Revolut; my experience is not an endorsement of Revolut or a suggestion not to use Revolut, it's an opinion based on my own experience or public availability information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Try adding via Google or Apple pay. That's how I top up using my AIB card and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's almost certainly a temporary glitch - I topped up fine yesterday. Try restarting your phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I topped up my Revolut card from an AIB account this morning. No issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Apologies if this has been asked before, but it's impossible to search on boards any more.

Is it possible to switch off the contactless 'protection' whereby you get an alert every so often that your contactless limit is approaching and you have to click to reset? I find it really annoying - especially as quite often, if you're making a series of payments in a row, you don't notice the warning and end up with a declined payment. E.g., in the pub for the afternoon last Sunday, getting several pints and food over the course of the afternoon.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to how often it appears... it says I can set it to €150, but I've reset, topped up to €150, and still had the popup when I've had €20 or €30 left to spend.

Advertisement