Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I suggest you re-read the report, which, amongst other statements says "It was readily apparent to the Investigation that under night conditions, the lighting on the 16–storey building at Santry Cross, resembled the approach lighting on RWY 34." The aircraft had veered to the left of the 34 approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I'm in the Blackrock/Dun laoghaire area and once and a while I'd hear some planes flying over. It's very seldom that it happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

There’s a difference between something making noise, being noisy and being excessively noisy. Particularly at night when the back ground noise levels drop off significantly.

Just because you can hear something doesn’t mean it’s being “noisy”. I personally believe that some of the areas complaining of noise in relation to the new runway is an issue with this in particular. “I can hear an airplane” seems to equal these planes are very noisy and that therefore the airport is wrong. Especially if the background level of noise in the area is low.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well yea, obviously there are levels of noise.

But when it happens (which as I said is rare enough), it's more than just "I can hear an airplane". It's loud enough that it'll grab your attention immediately. I usually open FlightRadar to see what it was out of curiosity.

I was just replying cause you suggested there's no way there could be noisy planes over Bray. There are, but obviously nowhere near as common as the areas directly around the airport. I think it's a complete non-issue in this area, but if DAA are being proactive about it and installing monitors then I also fail to see the harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

But when it happens (which as I said is rare enough), it's more than just "I can hear an airplane". It's loud enough that it'll grab your attention immediately. I usually open FlightRadar to see what it was out of curiosity.

Yeah I'm the same, I've no issue with it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How noisy can they really be when descending and still at a few thousand feet?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Yes but are they truly loud, as in you can’t have a conversation with the person sat beside you or is it simply that you can hear them.

I think in a lot of these cases people were used to hearing very little and are now irked because they can hear something. But that sound is not actually that loud or certainly not as loud and troublesome as they are actually making it out to be.

I have family that live in an area of Dublin that is the equivalent of Ballyboughal for height of passing departures. Having been in that house loads I can truly honestly say they aren’t loud or disturbing in the slightest. Even sat out in the back garden in the summer with a departure every 2 mins or so. The passing buses and loud exhausts are more bothersome or the neighbours dogs constantly barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Dublin airport seems to be in bits this morning. Yes there was snow, I’m in the area and confirm we got a good dumping and the de icing will take time, but why are we with one operational runway?

Trans Atlantic’s holding for a stand for over an hour is not good enough. Many flights two hours delayed. It’s an embarrassment how badly we can handle the a bit of winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Caller to Claire Byrne right now, sitting on a plane on the apron since 730 this morning. Says two out of the three de-icing systems are "broken".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

28Right opened at 12:00.

The de icing situation needs to be improved drastically. Could we not install a deicing area and all airlines could pay to use it and be more efficient than the current mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfotunately, its entirely plausible that one of the handlers a: has that few rigs, and b: has that level of maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Every time, in this country, bit of different weather, place collapses.

No lessons learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

MOL is on record saying he'd rather swallow the delays/chaos the couple of times a year he doesn't have enough rigs than pay to have enough of them sitting idle 360 days per year.

Hmmm…. Surely invest in enough rigs to cover a relatively normal ice event , they wont eat anything big when not in use.

Also what’s wrong with clubbing together with other operators to ensure enough units available.

Unbelievable Jeff.

If they club together, who gets priority? You could say in order of reporting ready for push, but that’s not necessarily the overall most efficient method, as the rigs will waste a great deal of time criss crossing the apron between gates, piers and terminals, as the next aircraft in the queue may be in the other terminal etc.

This issue rests entirely within the airlines themselves. They are unwilling to pay to have sufficient rigs available either themselves or via third party contracts. The have made the calculation that doing so is more expensive than putting up with the consequences a handful of times each year. Whether this is an accurate calculation or not, I couldn’t possibly say, but there are reasons you can fly to London for €20 and this is one of them.

Yep, you are correct there.

However…….

Given the huge profits made by the carriers concerned, would it affect them too much to maybe Jack up the de icing regime a bit

Uhmmmm….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A dedicated de ice pad at each end of the new runway with enough space for say 3 narrow bodies.

Taxi out (frees up the gate) get de-iced, depart immediately

De-ice on gate is inefficient as the equipment has to move around between gates and you could time out before getting airborne causing more chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Either the DAA or the regulator need to make it sufficiently costly to dissuade them from doing this.

It would be CAR, soon to be the new IAA.

• Advertisement

There is no space for what you suggest at the moment at the 28R end, I’m sure you’ll look but bare in mind east of Kilo is within the protected area of the glide slope and localiser for the runway currently.

In one of their submissions to CAR the DAA broke down their rationale for their plan in relation to this issue. It’s worth a search for it, essentially they’ve asked the airlines and they don’t want it at the moment they are still happy to wait till other far higher priority projects are completed and they’ll continue to do on stand.

The plan is eventually to have 1 maybe 2 centralised de ice areas. It isn’t quite as simple as people are naively suggesting here. I love the suggestion of CAR forcing the DAA/Airlines to fix the issue, considering CAR themselves are one of the hindrances to the DAA actually trying to provide exactly what the airlines/pax/airport want and need. Constantly chopping projects and finances for projects and limiting the DAAs ability to finance projects.

I never said CAR were likely to do it, there's no chance, but they are the only body with the legislative ability to do it. DAA can't because anything they charge the airlines for is adjudicated on by.....CAR. What is currently the IAA has no economic regulatory authority, only safety.

I think you misread my post I wasn’t having a pop at you, CAR aren’t going to fix a problem they helped create. They’ll happily sit back and point and shout but will ignore the pleas of help to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I was one of those caught in a 2 hour delay at Dublin airport today, and the gates at terminal one with all the backlogged passengers was worse than a cattle mart. Really disgraceful that a bit of forecasted snow can cause such havoc but it’s typically Irish isn’t it to not be able to cope with it?!

I often wonder is there any de-brief after events like this… like questions asked

1. how many serviceable rigs had each handling agent or airline available
    2. how were resources managed to operate these units
    3. What plans were set up to manage forecast weather issues like this
    4. Is there a ‘system’ in place to allocate spots on the queue for de icing.
    5. how many trained up rig operators have u got

simple questions like that should shine a light on who is responsible for the chaos which apparently occurred

and perhaps alleviate some of the problems in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's not no. It's typical corporations not investing in equipment that only need to be used 2 or 3 days a year. They'll take the hit instead.

There was also a French ATC strike yesterday which didn't help matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not mathematician but it doesn't look like anywhere close to the reported 200 people at that meeting.

That close to the runway, no change to a SID will change the noise experienced.

Post edited by moonshy2022 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder if that was an A330 as well, which is the noisiest aircraft operating out of Dublin.

The SID change has made some significant difference in some places. Rolestown seems to be off the hook now, and the problem may be worse elsewhere, which reflects the location of that meeting.

Advertisement