Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I really need to stop posting here ...as Im only annoying myself...

But I'm very encouraged that a significant number of people feel the same.

Your never going to have a system that is perfect, your always going to have people moaning etc.

But a handicap system needs way more than 50 % of people to be happy and view it as fair ...it needs a significant qualified majority.

Like 80 % +

But in general people feel the upper limit is a joke...

And WHS significantly undermines overall competitions.

Again...I'm heading back to a few hill walks and leave this off.

But GI have a problem if a significant body of important stakeholders have an issue.

I'll leave it off...but don't feel as alone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think you are speaking for a lot of players nationally but in most clubs probably a small enough number compared to the overall membership and as a result not likely to be listened to. I'm off 7.6, in my club according to GI that puts me in the top 8% and top 7% nationally. I had a quick look and there are 130 members (male and female) who are in the single digits category <9.4. Theres 922 members currently so you can probably see there why the complaints of that cohort aren't acted upon. I'd imagine the picture is similar nationally so unfortunately there probably is about 80% of the player base who are happy enough with things. I would personally love it if we had categories where I play, i'd be much more interested in the actual comp then, as it is I only play to try get the handicap down and wouldn't even check results most weeks unless I happen to come across a facebook post. I do agree there is a problem if the people who most likely play the most often, spend money on opens/scratch cups, equipment, lessons etc. feel disenchanted with competition golf in their local club. I only need to glance at the casual Saturday morning slots in my club to see that groups of very high level players are playing together casually rather than in that weeks competition, in the long run that isn't good. I think categories would go some way to helping but WHS being poorly administered is a bigger issue IMO. H'cap secretaries are also terrified of legal cases as we've seen already, i'd much prefer a national approach to it. I've said this before but the governing bodies in Ireland and UK need to start releasing data on this stuff if they want to fend off the complaints about WHS. My solution to some issues i've seen locally; The requirements for exceptional score reduction are way too high, Currently you can beat your handicap by 7 shots and only get a 1 shot exceptional score reduction, thats laughable. beating your handicap by 5 shots is an extraordinary result and should be a minimum of 3 shot reduction in h'cap IMO. If it was up to me i would say 5 shots = 3 shot reduction for a minimum of 8 rounds, 7 shots would be 5 shot reduction for a minimum of 20 rounds.

We could probably talk about this stuff in circles forever but ultimately WHS isn't going anywhere and I can't see Golf Ireland or the volunteers running local clubs being able to resolve this problem any time soon. Golf is booming at the moment so its probably not a big deal but when times become a bit leaner and those same players i mentioned aren't around any longer and the new joiners with 30+ hcaps move on to something else we could see some chickens coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I kind of agree with much of that, and I'm certainly not defending out and out rogues, but beating your handicap by 5 isn't necessarily the great score it used to be under CONGU. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to beat my handicap by 5, and obviously it will depend on your actual handicap, its a lot easier for a 18 to shoot 13 over than a 5 to shoot level par. With handicap now being an average of best 8, chances are you'll have several rounds better and several rounds worse than your handicap. If you then happen to play "well" on the day, you can see how beating your handicap by a substantial amount is very likely. Almost by definition you're beating your handicap reasonably frequently anyway.

I think I like WHS and the theory behind it better than CONGU, but I don't really think its for an Irish setting. We're too conditioned by years of CONGU and too into our competitions and having cuts as a punishment/reward for a good score. Its way more suitable for the more casual US type of approach to the game IMO. That said, its not going anywhere, so I think over time we'll just live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm relatively new to golf. Only joined a club this time last year having first picked up the game a few months prior.

So to give a bit of perspective from a new golfer; I think the whole handicap system as an idea is a bit strange. I'm struggling to think of any other sport that gives an advantage to "worse" players and allows them to compete with the best. As mentioned previously, it's akin to giving a sprinter a head start, or making one boxer fight with one hand tied behind his back. It just doesn't happen as it doesn't make much sense.

I regularly play with another poster on here and he's a substantially better golfer than I am. If we were to go out and play against each other and I happened to win because of my handicap, then it's a case of.....Did I win? Technically, yes.

But did I REALLY win?.... No, absolutely not. He played proper golf and got around the course in 20 less strokes than I did. I hacked the place to pieces and managed to win on a technicality. The whole system just feels like a little pat on the head and a "Good job little buddy" 👍

It just seems weird to me.

Having said all that, I don't think there are major issues with WHS at all. I think, on paper, the system works as intended and if used correctly, it gives an accurate representation of playing ability. The problem most people seem to have isn't with the system itself but more about how competitions are ran. That's down to clubs and not the WHS.

Should high handicap golfers be allowed to compete? Absolutely. But only against golfers of similar ability. Placing them in competitions against good golfers and giving them a massive leg-up is an insult to the guys who have worked hard to improve their game and become good at the sport.

All comps should be ran in categories with the prizes improving the lower you go. This creates an incentive to improve and to lower the handicap. And anyone with a fake "vanity" handicap will be quickly found out. It removes the incentive to sandbag and win higher handicap categories. If you want to play in the top tier and compete against those guys then you're more than welcome, but you can't play off 30. Your handicap will be adjusted to whatever the average handicap is of that particular category. You think you can and should win? Fine. Prove it.

I don't buy the argument of "What about the poor guy who's in his late 60's or early 70's and just can't compete anymore? He needs the high handicap." I'm sorry, but to be blunt about it....... tough. That's life. You can compete against people in your own category. Life, and sport, shouldn't be about participation trophies and rewarding mediocrity while punishing excellence, all in the name of equality. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do think categories are the only way to go with the handicap system.

you cannot compete when giving 30+ shots to fellas.

categories allow golfers of a similar level compete against one another.

Do you need an overall winner? I don’t think you do. I think that is the crux of the problem. A Div 1-4 winner of the captains is more palatable than one overall winner and a large cohort of disgruntled golfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That score is definitely possible if the guy has done a bit of practice in the interim before entering a competition. The same if they got lessons.

But the funny part of this is that the chap in question will get a much bigger cut under WHS having put in that score than he ever would have under CONGU. Under CONGU he would be cut 6 strokes, but wouldn't get an ESR because it's only his first exceptional score. Under WHS he'll be playing off the score differential that is calculated from that 33 over round and his original 3 cards will be discarded. He'll also likely get an ESR of 2 because the difference between his HI and his SD would most likely be greater than 10.

The process of allocating initial handicap indexes has not changed radically from how it was under CONGU. So he may well have got the same initial handicap under CONGU as he did under WHS.

For a rough calculation I assumed a course rating of 72 and a slope rating of 125. On that basis, his score differential (assuming he had no hole scores worse than net double bogey - if he did, his SD would be even lower) would be 29.8 and his original handicap index 40.7 (from the PH of 43 using the same CR and SR). This means an ESR of 2 (because HI-SD>10).

So his new handicap index will be 29.8 minus 2 = 27.8 a cut of 14 shots to 29. If this is actually his fourth counting round, there's a further deduction of 1 from his HI.

Under CONGU it would be 10 x 0.6 assuming CSS = par.

I'd say that WHS works a lot better than CONGU in this situation.

Post edited by prawnsambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sure, I agree, he was chopped immediately by the system, which is fine, from that perspective.

He was a youngish guy, changing across from GAA, fit, strong and working on his game and improving fast.

My issue with the system is, irrespective of the quick adjustments, he shouldn't be there in the first place.

Under congu, he would have submitted 3 cards, 110-120 strokes, and probably have given a handicap of 24 or something like that. Not 100%, but wasn't there a calc built in under Congu, which was ultimately at the discretion of the handicap sec to allocate?

So, say in my example, he's allocated 24, after 4 rounds he's shooting 30ish over, so already getting close to 30 points in stableford and probably happy out.

Now he's shooting 46 points and walking home with a prize a month after he's taken up the sport, and anyone with a handicap lower than 10 is looking at it going "I've got to shoot under par to have a slim chance of competing these days"

I just explained that he would have got the same handicap under CONGU. The 54 handicap came in under CONGU. There was no calculation built into CONGU that would have chopped cards back like that. And I should know, I've been hcap sec under both systems.

And there's as much leeway to handicap secretaries under WHS as there was under CONGU. Me, I wouldn't have given him a 40 index based on his sporting background and age. So if you want to blame someone, blame your handicap secretary or your applications system that either doesn't give him the information he requires or he ignored it.

But the problem here isn't WHS. WHS is MUCH better at dealing with outliers like this, CONGU was useless and had to be overridden by vigilant hcap secs all the time.

Well if you think he's sandbagging his handicap, it's up to you to report him to the handicap secretary, who, if what you're saying is true, doesn't get to see most of the scores you see him get. There's a rule in the rules of golf and handicapping called peer review that a lot of golfers pretend doesn't exist because they're too cowardly to actually take these guys on.

I know the limits weren't set to 54 under WHS, I just don't know of anyone, outside of a junior say, who was ever issued a handicap that high under CONGU.

Maybe handicap secretaries in general worked to a different standard in the congu days. Was always the talk of say "you got a starting handicap of 22, they normally don't let people start from anything higher than 18 in here".

Whereas now they're maybe just more commonly taking the approach of...the handicap will find its level once they get enough rounds in and the system will handle the correction.

I do 100% agree that it corrects way quicker, but it's a bit of a 2 way street in that way as it'll correct up a lot quicker too.

I love it for myself, I'm a maths man, so the calcution makes sense to me and I enjoy that it makes me think about rounds a bit more. I just think that it's inherently flawed for the Irish style of competition golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

By the way - people calling for the handicap secretaries to do anything seems a bit flawed too - as the idea of WHS is, it is an average over a relatively short number of performances.

If handicap secretaries are doing anything in certain clubs - but not in others - then it is not a WHS either , it is variations of it - and that makes the very concept flawed.

Is an ESR generated automictically or is it by committee ?

Are you going to say that peer review is flawed too? Because it's not flawed, people want to bitch and moan, but will never, ever, on pain of death, report another member for breaches of the rules or handicap manipulation.

And yes, handicap secretaries are REQUIRED to review handicaps and adjust where necessary. A system that depends on honour is always going to be honoured in the breach.

ESRs are generated automatically. I explained the calculation above. Other additional adjustments can be made by handicap committees. I've seen committees chop five off a HI in addition to an ESR.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Secs need backing from GI.

It will never happen...

Repeat

It will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm assuming the point to focus on in this instance is

"has knowledge of the player's demonstrated ability and can reasonably verify or challenge the HI issued to the player"

Does the poster really satisfy that?

The poster said this guy doesn't play much competitive golf, instead plays casually with his buddies for the most part. The poster thinks this guy isn't a 31HC but I don't think he can reasonably verify or challenge it.

As a HC Sec, what would be your response if he came in with this complaint?

Edit: I don't think this has anything to do with WHS other than the fact that the guy's HC went up significantly upon the introduction of WHS.

That's as maybe, but initial HIs are probably the easiest to adjust if you're a handicap secretary. They're generally accepted by the player, whereas any adjustments are seen as a slight against their seed, breed and generation and require a village council complete with pitchforks and flaming torches to resolve.

I'd like to know what the inherent flaws are that weren't present in CONGU. Is it the upward movement by up to 5 rather than the old CONGU 0.1s? Because that was designed to fix a massive problem in the system. People being given inappropriate handicaps and taking years to be able to play to them or people getting older and not able to play to the same standard and racing mortality to catch up with their handicap.

He said it was a society match. So the conclusion is that he's playing society golf with him in the same society and so knows how he's scoring in NQ. The bump I assume was because he doesn't play much counting golf, so there weren't enough records to produce a new WHS index. So his CONGU handicap was converted directly to a HI. That would give a bit of a bump when the PH is calculated.

If he came with the complaint to me, I'd ask to see the society results and other evidence of better scores, such as the 47 points in the matchplay event. I'd actually have no problem cutting him once I had that evidence. I made a fair few cuts last year and only one challenged it. I replied with all the data I'd used and never heard another word.

I don't need backing from GI. Never have. But it's there if I need it. I always base my decisions on data, make sure I'm even handed and use the same criteria for everyone. If GI overrule me, fine. But it wouldn't stop me doing my job. And I'd probably learn something from the experience that would make it easier for me.

No idea why this would be in any way controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think you're an outlier when it comes to HC Secs Prawn, and your club is lucky to have you. I'm not sure the majority of HC Secs would request to see society cards in that instance.

And to jump on Space's point re initial HI's. I'd think you're probably in a minority of HC Secs who still use judgement there. Since the introduction of WHS, I think the majority just let WHS "do its thing".

Thanks for that. Although I have to say I had two good teachers in the two preceding hcap secs to me. So that really makes three. In one club. What are the chances? 😂

But to be serious, if a member comes to you with a complaint about another member's handicap, probably the first reaction would be "Oh no, not another one". But you're duty bound to ask the obvious questions about the underlying backup to the accusation. Even if it's just to get rid of what could be a vexatious claim. You can go no further without this and the onus is on the complainer to provide the evidence.

You're probably right about initial handicaps. Having said that, you're only looking for trouble if you don't at least take a close look at the member's application form (if there's an experience section on it - afaik, most do). Some might do that, some might leave the system to balance itself out. And it does that very well. But it does leave the opening for a stonking good first competition round. I'd always be nervous, looking at the results sheets when a new handicap is in there. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

You do need the backup from our governing body, sadly it will be found wanting.

I have seen the almost futile attempts to bring people to book under congu.

Cut . Appealed to branch. Upheld.

Whs is a wild west. Well it did emanate from there.

My club has endured at least one notorious Captains prize incident. He is now higher than when that score was returned.

Cut. Frozen. Build. 20 scores can be recorded quickly now.

It's no secret . It appears that nothing is been done. That's not the case. H secs have tried over a number of years. Club has received numerous legal correspondence from this individual. Club have been left to deal with this themselves.

To call cheat, which is what it is and is required ,brings serious individual peril without governing body support.

I wish you well in your voluntary role. Just don't get isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@prawnsambo as a H Sec, I empathise with much of your reasoning and logical explanations.

I've tried on numerous occasions in this channel and in my club to show that I don't see the problems with WHS that are anecdotally reported being reflected in the metrics. At least not in my club.

I can recall just one occasion where a new member won the first competition with a crazy score and that was an exceptional case where he was allocated his HI without having gone through HC vetting.

If there were a load of high handicaps with unfair HIs, then that would be reflected in higher scores winning division 3 and 4 every week. That simply is not the case. Often D3&4 winning scores are worse than D1&2.

Like @prawnsambo , our committee has no problem applying HI adjustments. Most golfers know why the cut has been made and happily accept it. Some have requested and received the details behind the decision. Some have made a successful case against the cut. This is fine too as HCs are learning about WHS too and can make mistakes.

I've only gone to GI for clarification of a couple of things and have gotten adequate responses. Most of the year, we do let WHS do its thing but outside of WHS we monitor scores and adjust as required.

Absolutely this. As a committee we've heard complaints about a perceived bias in competition wins towards high handicaps. And it has always been wrong when the data is analysed. Not almost always, always. Low handicaps in the range 0-10 disproportionally win. All the time. And if you think about it, this makes sense. This cohort play consistent golf whereas the high guys do not.

Its weird that I actually agree with both sides in the debate above !

On the one hand, prawnsambo is right, peer review will never be a big thing, very few if any members will report someone they have to see week in week out for being off too high a handicap. And rightly so in my opinion - what gives joe blogs the ability to say what Peter should be playing off ?

Honestly though I genuinely think the biggest issue with WHS in Ireland is what we all think a handicap should represent. So, so many of us are still thinking a handicap should be what it meant under CONGU, but its a completely different metric under WHS. Its unfortunate COVID stopped the info nights that had been planned for the clubs by the GUI. Personally I think its so different it arguably should have been given a new name when WHS came in. That's where I think peer review also falls down with WHS, and isn't necessary and/or is open to abuse/settling scores (pardon the pun !). Your index is now more or less basically a measure of current form rather than potential, how can any handicap sec decide that Joe's current form isn't XXX ? Someone complaining about a player will almost certainly IMO have an opinion of what a 10 handicapper should be - but its probably an opinion formed under CONGU (ok thats a bit of a guess, but I'd say a good one). At some point any player will come out of a slump and shoot a score and he'll get cut accordingly. That's apart from the difference between casual golf and "card in pocket" golf, which IMHO is massive. Even look at a 2 round scratch cup - how often do we see a player go 73, 88 ? or vice versa ? So what's their current form/ability ?

I experienced it myself a few years ago, was always bouncing around 3/4/5 handicap since around 2000, and a few years ago started playing utter rubbish, and between drifting out and the change to WHS, ended up off 10.6 in mid 2021. Under CONGU I'd never have gotten close to that with the one shot per year limit. I was getting all the banter/remarks about being a joke off that handicap etc etc., and in my head it was, but I simply couldn't play to it for a while. Had the odd good matchplay result where I'd beat someone way lower than me. Peer review by the wrong person or someone who knew me but hadn't actually played with me in 3/4 years would have shredded my handicap. Thankfully I got my sh1t together and got back to 4 by mid summer last year.

I think WHS works for the vast majority of golfers and the few outliers are just that, outliers, with a handful of chancers who'll try to game any system regardless.

There aren't many cases taken to court for handicap cuts, but the latest one I could find (ten years ago) was lost by the complainant and cost him lotto money.

Just on peer review. This isn't a situation where anyone can make an allegation and it will be taken seriously. It won't unless there's something that the handicap secretary doesn't know about already, being brought to their attention. Like for example, scores in society golf that are played in NQ conditions or which aren't recorded anywhere other than the society's records. Also matchplay scores or from 'classics' which often are absolutely rife with miracle scores.

People having good and bad rounds is an expected feature of golf. It's why WHS handicaps are based on your best 40% and not 100%.

That's fair, and I'd like to think most h/c secs are reasonable about it and tbh I've no real issue if there's some sort of "evidence". I admit I'm very biased against peer review / observation / anything subjective about one player judging another etc as I witnessed, back in the late 90s, a situation where a h/c sec was using the old Rule 19 to settle personal grievances. A number of cases went to the provincial branch and then the union. I remember one case where the justification for a cut was that, despite having a bad score, the player had parred something like index 1 and index 3 and if he hadn't had bogeys on easier holes x, y & z, he could have had 40 pts. The guy was off around 10/12. Indeed, said h/c sec had a list of players he wouldn't allow play for the club - the irony was the players on the list had no idea he had an issue with them or that there was even a list ! Thankfully he's long since joined another club (and they're welcome to him, actually they're well matched 😁).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Is the Golf Ireland website going to be improved upon? I remember howdidido used to have a few stats using the data collected from rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I believe the US equivalent app gives some more interesting data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As far as I know, it comes with basic gps as standard with a paid option to give more detailed gps.

As standard you can also track stats like FIR, GIR, number of putts etc.

Advertisement