Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the Catholic Church still gave control over some schools in Ireland? It's time this changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Not paying a red cent to run them? The religious orders own the schools. The state is getting to use these schools for free. Cost a fortune for the state to dump the religious orders generous offer of using their property for free.

I was in secondary school in the Christian Brothers from 97 to 02. There was virtually no religious influence even then. A few statues of Mary in the school and one teacher said the Angela's before her class. That was about as religious as it got. The 3×40 min Religious class per week were nothing to do with learning about Catholicism. I dont see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have you actually read any recent children's religion schoolbooks?

I have actually.

They are very much themed towards family, friendship, kindness for others, etc

Illustrated with stories of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who gave the religious orders the money to build them?

Most of them have been updated,enlarged and modernised at taxpayers expense at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not as influential anymore?

They still control 90% of primary schools.

They're ramping up the hardline religious indoctrination with the new "Flourish" programme.

I ask again - because you have ignored the question - what is the justification for this church continuing to control 90% of primary schools?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

But those votes were of parents with kids already enrolled in those schools. FUD won the day - fear, uncertainty, doubt - a church-led campaign to stir up fear of change.

Parents of future pupils e.g. preschoolers in the areas got no say at all. And these votes were only held at all in a few areas.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Catholic ethos. Absolutely hilarious.

They're the legal owners of the land. Unless gotten through illegal gains how they became owners makes no difference to the fact it is their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You are caught up on numbers.....their actual influence and psyche is not near the levels it was years ago....it's 2023, the world is completely changed. People are insanely more free and open and able to speak than they were years ago......and that too brings its problems.

Did you read the "Mary said yes" bit when a 12 year old was told she was to be impregnated? Creepy as anything.

As part of the Catholic religion course ‘Grow in Love’, six year old infants in Irish schools are being taught that ‘Mary says YES’! to God ‘working through her’ by making her pregnant, despite Mary being afraid, confused and not understanding what was going on.

Mary looks like a little girl in the picture that is to be displayed in all classrooms. When Mary says ‘YES’!, she is sitting on her bed looking startled, it is nighttime, and there is a little kitten with a heart on it beside her on the floor.

This is an extraordinary and dangerous message to give to young children. ‘SAY YES’!, even if you are afraid and confused. Just trust someone that comes to your bed in the night.

They teach this to six year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I posted this before but the church acquired property using revenues from many sources of ill gotten gains. Examples...selling babies and forced adoption, forced vaccine trials, slave labour in laundries and mother and baby homes etc etc.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

The state doesn't get to use these schools for free. It pays the salaries, the running costs, extensions, renovations, etc. etc. same as any other kind of school.

Second paragraph - it's been a long time now since any more than a few kids have any interest in religion at secondary level. It's primary schools which are the subject of the thread and where catholic church control is 90%. At secondary it's thankfully far less and nearly all kids are immune to their nonsense by that stage anyway.

Wouldn't you have rather used that two hours a week to do something useful?

Do you think it's OK to segregate five year olds on the basis of religion?

Do you think it's OK to tell five year olds about hell?

You have no answer. Numbers matter. They continue to control those schools the same as they always have, they teach a specific religion as fact during the school day, they discriminate against non-catholics, they deny the constitutional rights of non-catholic parents, pupils... and teachers!

Why should the church continue to control 90% of primary schools?

Why do most parents not have the option of a non-catholic primary school?

Why is a non-catholic teacher unemployable in 90% of primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

As a supposedly benevolent organisation 😁 maybe I thought they built the schools on behalf of their congregation.

While they were accumulating all of that wealth and property they were threatening people with burning in hell forever if they didn't comply. Reading them out from the altar if their donations were not deemed to be enough. Having them shunned, fired, boycotted, if they spoke out against the church.

The state pays no rent to the religious orders for using their land. You understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah shure there is a litany of abuses alright. Many people were even pressurised into willing money to the church after they died. Quite lucrative I am told. Post mortem indulgences I guess.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

I live abroad and have a child. The potential necessity of placing him in a school where Catholic religion is taught (as fact) every week, Catholic songs and prayers are performed frequently, and First Communion and Confirmation make up a big part of two years of primary years education, is a genuine reservation I would have about returning home.

I attended Catholic schools for all my primary and secondary education, so I know it's not the end of the world. But I was part of the group joining in with all the ceremony and teaching then. I hate the idea of children from non-religious (or non-Catholic) families being excluded from what's going on with their friends, and so 'othered' in that way.

They're a religious order. Perhaps they let schools on their land so they could teach their religion?

So we want the state to get free use of land from the religious orders but they cant teach their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Catholic Church had far more money than the newly independent Ireland when we needed schools built, they built them at a time that the government couldn't.

So they're basically landlords is that it?

Funny how in the late 19th century we rooted out one set of foreign landlords while allowing another to take hold, isn't it?

The church uses state employees to brainwash kids for a minimum of a half hour every school day, what contribution to the state funded salary do they make for that?

BTW all of these lands are zoned for educational use (and were often bequeathed under that condition, also) so can't be used for anything else. These lands have no commercial value. The 19th century school buildings would have no value either were it not for the maintenance and improvements paid for by the taxpayer over the years.

• Advertisement

Myth. The state was funding primary education long before independence. Churches (RCC, CoI, Presbyterians up north) wanted control though and they got it.

They're the landlords if they own the land.

If you dont want to send your kids to a religious order school then don't.

But you seem to want to change land law to suit your ideology. The state cant use a religious orders land and have no conditions of teaching that religious orders religion at the school attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Having them shunned, fired, boycotted, if they spoke out against the church.

That sound very familiar, yet funnily you've no problem with the new age variant of the church.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Your posting here is my exact point. A real anger that is driving you and won’t allow you to be more diplomatic and engaging.

Have you some evidence that schools in Ireland are deliberately discriminating against hiring certain people based off their religion? You have heard of employment laws and rights?

FFS. They're specifically exempt from equality legislation so they can discriminate on religious grounds all they like

I loved the daily ritual of greeting the children one by one in the morning as they walked through the school doors. It was time to lock those doors and leave the building. However, at 58 years of age I could walk away from my school and publicly admit something for the first time: I was no longer a Catholic.

If he'd admitted his non-belief he'd have been fired. If newly qualified teaching graduates were honest about their lack of belief they wouldn't be hired.

BTW you still haven't answered how their control of 90% of primary schools can be justified.

More anger and nonsense.

so if they’re exempt, what’s your problem?

I don’t care what percentage they are involved with. That’s your issues. It pisses you off, not me. Most people are like me, just getting on in this free and liberal and democratic country we inhabit. And our children bouncing into school and bouncing out of school.

Will "Ireland is a catholic country" be next?

You don't have a leg to stand on and you know it.

If it was a free and liberal country we wouldn't still have overwhelming church control of taxpayer funded schools.

Would it be acceptable if, say, the civil service refused to employ non-catholics?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They teach this to six year olds.

Don’t provide a source for that crap anyway, it might reveal that you’re peddling bullshìt. Your source is Atheist Ireland, who claim to be promoting atheism, reason and an ethical secular state. Publishing crap like that they’re about as truthful and trustworthy as Gript. Utter garbage, and does nothing to promote atheism, reason and an ethical secular state. All they’re doing there is promoting fearmongering and prejudice.

https://www.teachdontpreach.ie/2015/10/mary-says-yes/

‘Teach don’t preach’ they say, while preaching lies, misinformation and misrepresentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If he'd admitted his non-belief he'd have been fired. If newly qualified teaching graduates were honest about their lack of belief they wouldn't be hired.

I know you know that’s not true. There’s nothing prevents a non-religious person from being employed as a teacher in a Catholic school, and that’s what they are, an employee of the school, not an employee of the State.

BTW you still haven't answered how their control of 90% of primary schools can be justified.

They own them, what more justification is needed to control something that someone owns? The fact that they own and control 90% of schools is again due to something else you know which is that the Department of Education controls 100% of the education system in Ireland.

Advertisement