Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times (UK) and Sunday Times code thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭razorronan

Tried ringing the 01-5360818 cancellation phone number a few times, but kept getting an answering machine saying offices hours were 8am to 7pm. I then sent an email to care@thetimes.co.uk requesting to cancel. Within 30 mins I got an email back confirming my cancellation. Just said I would share as it is another way to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi Folks. Is the 5 euro pr year still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

They seem to make it hard to cancel. You have to ring them? I have blocked the subscription in my Revolut account so I hopefully I won't get hit with additional charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,240 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shock horror! Having to ring to cancel a recurring subscription that you agreed to when signing up. What is wrong with people these days? Too lazy to use the phone or what?

I posted earlier in this thread about ringing myself to cancel and got through within a minute or two and was even offered the same deal again. I hope those who have blocked payment through their banks aren't charged extra but if they are then they have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

As a moderator you should know better than to try to start a flame war here. With the greatest of respect, would you mind trolling somewhere else? I don't think your level of aggression and hostility is conducive to a healthy discussion here.

Subscription services making it more difficult to cancel services is not a good thing for consumers. It's cheap, old-fashioned and a dirty trick to try to retain subscribers. What next? You need to post them a letter?

What about people who are deaf, mute, neurodivergent etc? Do they not factor into your thoughts? Perhaps they should.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If they are accepting this, then their policy has changed. When I did this in December they emailed me back stating that I would have to phone.

As above, when I they did email me stating that I must phone, I pointed out that this policy could be not be justified as many customers would have no problem using the website but might have using the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

A bit off topic, but anyway.

I had murder with Virgin Media a few years ago when I tried to cancel my TV and broadband package by phone. They made it as difficult as they possibly could for me to cancel, including telling me blatant lies.

They would answer the phone alright, but repeatedly insisted that in order to cancel that I must do it on their dedicated line. There was, I was told absolutely no other way of cancelling, and until I canceled this way I was liable for their monthly 100 fee. I was told this blatant lie over and over.

Strangely enough, the cancellation line was unmanned most of the time and only opened up during office hours. I was holding on waiting for someone to answer the phone when they would just cut me off. I spent multiple hours on hold on the phone trying to cancel.

They had all the information and held all the cards. I was relying on memory as to what the contract I had signed a year or two said. Silly me, I believed their deliberate lies about how to cancel.

From a commercial point of view, for every month they succeeded in not allowing a customer to cancel meant another 90 - 100 plus to their profits. Multiply that by literally thousands of customers who couldn't cancel and you're into millions of extra profit for them.

I did an FOI (Freedom of Information request) and asked that every single thing they held regarding me be posted out to me, including a transcript of all conversations.

They said that they would send it out on a disk or an email. I declined and after conferring with the Office of the Data Protection Commisioner, I was told that they had to send the information out to me in the form I requested ie hard copy (paper).

In the telephone book sized papers they posted out was my contract with them. Buried in the middle of the contract was instructions on how to cancel. It said that in order to cancel you had to write in to their office stating that you were cancelling. Nothing more. There was absolutely no mention of having to ring a certain number to cancel your contract. Yey were just making that up in order to boost their profits.

As I said, I kicked up a fair stink about it at the time. I am unaware if they have now made it easier to cancel, but now that I think about it, I haven't heard anyone complaining about how difficult it is to cancel recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

If only some politician would champion introducing a new law (as California and others have done) that states if a company offers the ability to sign up online, it must offer the ability to cancel online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cakedrive

I cancelled my Times UK subscription in November when the 1 year for €5 ended. It was easy.

I got through on the phone line straight away, a guy had to fill in leaving survey which was very quick. There was no hard upsell. They were polite.

When my subscription ended I was able to sign up online for another year at €5 using the same email address and details.

And I cancelled my VM service last week. I was on hold for probably 15 minutes, I was asked a few questions about leaving, told there were no better offers available, asked a few times about keeping it but no heavy handed anything, and then told my final date and that was it. No difficulties at all.

The Times UK for €5 is great value but with the once a week irish paper I forget about it until this thread gets bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

I meant to cancel mine last month when I saw the monthly sub going out and forgot about it until I got the notification again today.

Rang them up to cancel and was offered the €5 for 12 months deal again - it will be taken out of the €10 already paid for this month so happy enough to continue it for another year. To be honest I would hardly ever even look at the app but have done on a few occasions when I have been hanging around airports/waiting rooms etc so it's probably worth the fiver to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still have not been charged anything for my sub, mind you I can only log into my account on my phone. Still saying im not a member if I try from PC or tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I rang to cancel today and they offered €5 a month but not the €5 for 12 months.

Went ahead with the cancellation as don’t use it much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭in2dark

I cancelled 5 days before end of the 12months for 5. They were not offering me the same deal over the phone.

I resigned up again today for another 12months for 5euros.

Happy customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭wassie

€5 for 12 months offer is on for next 6 days (ends 10/03/23)

Do they require your registered name to be the same as on your credit card?

For commenting purposes can you be Mick Murphy?

Not sure - I used my real name to register but you can have an alias for comments, but I dont bother with comments myself so not concerned.

I used a Revolut disposable credit card so wont have to worry about being charged full price in 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭farreca

Called to cancel my 1e-a-month-for-12 subscription today and got offered the 5e for 12 months subscription. Somehow had credit on my account so only cost 4.64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Thanks for that. Had to use a new email and physical address (not sure if the physical one was needed). I didn't bother with the €1 a month offer back in November but it's a total steal for €5 a year. Added a reminder to cancel in March 2024.

No such offer now, it seems that you cannot even trust them to end their offer on the day they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

The offer ended yesterday. It says so in the post you quoted.

• Advertisement

I had no intention of ringing anyone. Was that required?

The offer page had a countdown clock running until the offer expired. It ended somtime on the 10th - I dont know/care exactly when either.

There's no shenanigans going on dude.....you were simply too late.

But on the positive, it'll come around again soon enough.

It is their offer, they can do what they wish. But who ends an offer halfway through a day, it only annoys people? A real marketing brain would have ended the Irish offer at midnight on Paddy's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I got the same by email - you must phone. So I replied and said I had zero access to any phone and would be stopping all payments. 5 minutes later they confirmed cancellation by email, so the phone thing is purely to encourage retention. It's a good deal if they offer it again, but like some others, I just forgot it was there.

I would definitely stay with the Sunday Times if they offered a proper E-Paper of the Irish edition on Sunday, but I don't think they do, I could never find it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭ablelocks

check if you can download / access the Times Classic app - that's the epaper version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ta. Someone mentioned it was only available on Apple so no good for me thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

I phoned to cancel my sub today and was put on €1 per month for a year.

Also, I read on the android phone app with no probs. The Irish section and Irish sports section are both there every Sunday, along with all the UK daily content.

Advertisement