Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

Written by a man not facing eviction.

Investors don't leave a profitable market.

They leave a market full of uncertainty

But I'd say you have invested in SFÁ over your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

In a properly functional housing market a landlord leaving would not be a catastrophe. In a market with limited rental property it is.

It's obvious posters here are neither investors or facing eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am an investor, just not in rental property, I don't see why it should get extra tax incentives, I disagree with the eviction ban also, from the beginning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure how you came to that conclusion as a number of posters have said that they are investors

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What do you invest in. I have varied investments. The best investment I have is land. However it's always expensive to get in and out and require a certain level of knowledge in the area. As well it's very time consuming. However its easy to take long term investment out. Consider it as an activity investment

I have stocks and shares again it requires a significant knowledge buts it also adds significant risk but long-term and can add serious loss or profit. Small relief ( 2.5k yearly for a couple). Active investment

Pension's very long term huge amount ax advantages and easy to get money in and out. Static investment

Property long considered an inactive investment now an active investment due to regulations.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I have worked in capital markets for 12 years, so I have a retirement portfolio of stocks etfs and bonds, I know very boring but I'm generally diversified by sector with a lean toward value. My horizon is 30+ years and I'm not smart enough to be trading, so I hold for long duration. Some adjustments like last year to de risk, still a loss though, I've just been buying treasuries for the last six months.

There's no chance I'd put in the time for rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I met a fella sitting on a bridge in the city last night drinking a bottle of sherry. He said although he could easily become a landlord he was happy with his current situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Very sensible. I have two properties. Both good tenants. Now However the constant uncertainty over policy makes me think about selling both.

We never had a pure market in anything. Its all regulated and taxed differently.

It is a bit of a joke that the state takes 50% tax on rental income and then hands it back to the tenants through various schemes

If it lowered the tax to say 25% and froze rents nationwide for say 3 years it would work.

The RTB is a joke. I nearly was forced to sell a property years ago due to a bad tenant who years later has still not paid his rent arrears. I had to keep paying the mortgage while he lived rent free.

I have heard reports that it's still as bad.

Over a year it took the tribunal to take place. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Not strictly but after exemptions it's the same as income tax. Depends on your bracket

• Advertisement

What amazes me is this landlord exodus has been going on since 2017 but the government response has been SFA

Even more amazing is that in 2011 nobody realised that we were still having kids and that teenagers were going to be adults and eventually want their own home.

No real planning about population growth

Ya hit the nail on the head there. Its the same as income tax.

Being a landlord is not a public service, it's a private enterprise, comparing landlords, whose sole purpose is to enrich themselves personally, to a firefighter, is ridiculous.

I keep hearing that if landlords sell = more people will be homeless, why is that? Who will buy the property? Surely if all sell, the price will drop significantly and the buyer will require less capital to operate, which could either be a homeowner or a new landlord.

Unless you are demolishing the house or leaving it vacant, the same number of people will be housed.

Its the same as income tax, but to many landlords you don't have the income to pay the tax because the income has been consumed by the mortgage.

Every small landlord is different then because they can afford to carry a different level of outgoings associated with the rental.

some have small mortgages some have big (while some have none) and when house prices are high and interest rates increae the costs of being a landlord are going up making it less and leas viable for many, along with the red tape brought in by the government while the taxation remains the same.

Its a perfect storm and the best decision for many landlords is to get out, and out they are getting through evection and selling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Houses will be left vacant during the sales process which will drive up homelessness. At the moment landlords need to be encouraged or incentivised not to sell to stop this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It will be interesting to see if build to rent investors exit in the next 2 years . Or at least shelve current plans to build.

Can you risk such a big portfolio with the possibility of a new government ?

It funny the way people get hot and bothered over cash in a system. Now I am not advocating tax evasion but many forget the person paying tax often benefits as much or more than the person recieving it.

It particularly noticeable in certain sectors. If you get a handy lad in to cut your lawns, maybe paint a room, do a small construction job ( laying a patio, putting up a boundary wall or laying a timber floor) or a backyard mechanic people are always on about these people avoiding tax and they are probably right. However they forget that of the person is completely tax compliant then the costs of these project have to seriously increase in price to reflect this. Instead of such a person being paid 15-20/hour they now need maybe double or more than that

It's probably one of the reasons that rentals have got so expensive. 30-40 years ago revenue could not zone in as much and tenants moved regularly. Now with virtually all LL having to be fully tax compliant this has driven up rents as LL find the ROI not worth the effort unless they are at the top of the market rate

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Would they not still need to hand money back to tenants via various schemes if you're only proposing to freeze rents? How is the reduction in tax take funded if the need rental supports is not reduced? How exactly would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That post perfectly illustrates the entitled to handout mentality of many of the have-a-go landlords who post on boards.ie. It may not be that prevalent generally in the larger population of landlords, but it is highly prevalent among the perennially whinging ones here.

but to many landlords you don't have the income to pay the tax because the income has been consumed by the mortgage.

i.e. I want this, but I can't afford it.....and I don't have the capacity to work hard enough to earn it myself ..... but I am entitled to it ..... so change the rules so that I can have it.

Would you be in favour of, say, a bump up in stamp duty to maybe 7.5% and then a doubling of CGT for two years?

• Advertisement

This isn't true. Take a three bed house as an example. Single person in the boxroom, potentially two couples in the bigger bedrooms. Total of five people renting the house. Landlord decides to sell. House goes on market. Bought by a different couple. House now houses two people instead of five.

"Bring back the tenements"

There is a link posted earlier about 20 foreigners being packed into a house @750 quid a month each. What a service to the general public. And they won't even give the landlord charitable status - never mind the mental torture he has, waiting in anticipation of a potential fire-safety inspection.

no surprise you spouting rubbish. Im only stating facts.

Landlords got into landlording when the market was very different, its changed significantly in a variety if ways now so many are leaving. If they are happy to stay they will stay.

Should they not be allowed to leave or something?

If the government wants to change the playing field to encourage more people to stay as landlords they can easily do so.

They did it in the past when they brought in the rent a room scheme because people stopped providing much needed digs for students.

Not sure what that has to do with my post. The house in my example wasn't overcrowded nor do I support packing them in.

My example is a simple illustration of how there may or may not be the same number of occupants in a house after it has been bought and sold.

You are whining about tax. Tax rates are basically the same for the last decade. How did you only just happen to learn recently about tax on rental income as if it is a new thing?

"I don't think I should have to pay tax at the higher rate because I want to buy a ferrari and after my income tax I don't have enough to pay for it"

Nobody cares if you leave or not. The same as nobody cares if you buy shares of Tesla or decide to gamble on cryptocurrency or the 3:15 race at Fairyhouse. Go if you want. There are plenty of landlords who can cope. Why on earth would we be subsidising incompetent ones to stay.

I see we have the usual rubbish anti LL posting. The perception that institutional bodies can replace small LL is deeply flawed. Even the perception that the government can take up the slack is a serious missunderstanding of economics.

For every 10k units owned by small LL leaving the sector it would probably takes a government or an institutional investment of 3-3.5 billion to replace.

I cannot come across the HAP spending in 2022 but in 2021 it was 542 million. RAS accounted for 122 million and rent supplement is 123 million. Long term leasing giving a cost of nearly 900 million for 2021.

It's not the cost many think it is. It's no wonder the government requires small LL to stay put. The real question is why there was such a reluctance to do anything in the last budget and even now to put solutions out there to keep small LL in the sector.

We could easily see 10k exit before the budget in September

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah I would be in favour of increased CGT and stamp duty if the income tax rate on rental income is reduced.

Many have been whining about tax while claiming that they aren't. It's pathetic, other concerns are valid re evictions.

As evidence by the post directly above your own.

There has been a relatively recent trend of landlords complaining about having to pay income tax on their income. Did anything change recently to prompt this? Tax rates haven't changed really over the last decade. What did change last year though was the renters credit which would have frightened a lot of non-tax-compliant owners. For them, the tax rate would have been going from 0% to their marginal rate.

• Advertisement

Never let what someone actually said get in the way of arguing about something they didnt say

Advertisement