Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I had low expectations anyway but it was a good show.

Though was the ref doing a countout in a Texas Death Match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm starting to think there's a correlation between how poor the booking to a show is and how great a show is for AEW (Forbidden Door being the other big one that follows that trend) because that show absolutely slapped!

The weak link for me was probably Jericho/Starks but glad Ricky won at least and hope that's him done with JAS now. Christian and Jungleboy was was excellent and was glad it felt distinct from the Texas Death Match. The drama of the coffin and Jack looking down at him really worked. Curious what next for Christian and hope they give Jungleboy a decent programme now too.

Elite/House of Black as as great as you'd expect and delighted the House of Black won, please keep them on TV and give the rest of the Elite something worthwhile to do. Women's match was pretty good, Saraya's best showing back even if I'm not a fan of the whole 'ex-WWE' invasion idea. Hayter is really gonna start needing credible opponents soon. Tag match and TNT title were about what you'd expect but had the right results from me. FTR, I have no idea what FTR bald is doing with worked shoot comments or whatever they are, just makes me think less of him.

The Deathmatch was awesome, even if the extreme matches can wear thin for me, they told a great story and aside from the fork spot, it wasn't overly violent, loved the ending with Hangman being an actual hangman and Moxley tapping felt big!

The main event, as much as I thought 60 mins was a lot, they pacing was superb. It was mostly engaging and they put in a lot of false finishes that reminded me of terrible WWE decisions that made me wince thinking we were getting an awful ending, what we got was pretty good. Pulling out the Yes chants was a masterstroke, really thought Danielson had it for a sec. On a minor note, throwing the drink at the kid was a **** move, that's not good 'heel' work it's just being a prick. Guessing Adam Cole is next for MJF?

Now please for the love of God, AEW give us some stories and get Dynamite back on track because this PPV was absolutely ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thinking of next stories - I think Dark Order has a bit of potential if they go bold with it. They've set this thing up nicely, where they've called out the perception of themselves, commenting how Hangman has distanced himself from them cause he feels they're beneath him. Nice guys, and that's about it. So I'd love to see someone join them who really elevates them and gives them another angle - Christian would be a great option. Or Miro. Or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Also Jeans Jungle Boy is the best Jungle Boy haha. He comes off way better in them and would love him to just go on a mad one after the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

If you haven’t seen MJF at the media scrum yet then go out of your way to watch it. Absolute perfection from beginning to end, at the peak of his powers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The CM Punk parallels makes me pretty sure Punk is coming back, for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Loved that PPV I have to say

So so so happy to see The House of Black as Trio's champs.

Hopefully the Bucks now go back to the Tag Division and Kenny goes for the championship

Post edited by Headshot on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Only watching this now and that Jungle Boy/Christian match was fantastic stuff. Really put a pin in the feud perfectly. Enjoyed the trios match too, wasn't expecting that result!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Finally had time to watch most of it and it seemed like a very good PPV. Like I said beforehand, to me it's about the ideal number of matches for a card, whereby everything feels important or has some weight/depth to it.

Christian is great, I hope they give him something new now. What happened to Luchasaurus?

MJF was great, also in the presser, but man if you want to do that child spot just use a plant for gods sake

There's a lawsuit going on at the moment over the rights to the Luchasaurus mask design which is why there was no mention of him at all and no inclusion of him in video packages in the build as it's being contested at the moment.

• Advertisement

Was watching Dark and when I saw Lance Archer on it, I was thinking why isn't Miro appearing on it? It's not like they have any plans for Archer either but still lets people see him.

I mean if I don't have any projects to work on, they don't give me time off until something comes in. Instead we're given stuff to do like training or just small in-house projects.

Card for Dynamite tonight is an odd one, they rarely (if ever) follow up a PPV with a compelling Dynamite. Mox shouldn't be on, Jericho can go away for a while too. TNT match will be weird, can't really have either one lose - unsure what the right call is really - I prefer Hobbs at the moment myself.

Surely we should get something with Jungle Boy, Starks or even see what Darby and Sting are at. Nothing listed for Max or Bryan yet either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Warlow another great title run i see. How they dropped the ball on him so badly is beyond me.

Good to see Moxley selling the after effects of the Texas death match. They had a great chance to reboot everything on the back of a great PPV instead it’s all very much the same. But somehow with less momentum after a red hot PPV.

Yeah like you follow up a great PPV with fking QT Marshall in your main event, like why would you do that

And Jericho, just go away

There was some good stuff in there though, OC as usual, FTR, amd the Hobbs-Wardlow match was good until the ending

Ugh indeed. QT thing took the wind out of that fast 😅

The powerbomb spot into the big soft landing and Tony S saying he may have broken his back broke me 😂 I've hopped into bed with more force.

That would have been a great spot for a deranged Miro to come back and batter them both - but we get QT.

Some positives on the show at least, Danielson promo video was very good. Ruby did well in her promo too I thought and something new for Ricky.

Hangman and Mox should leave each other alone now, no need to drag it further. Small bit annoyed that they didn't have the balls to do Kenny vs Jericho 1 on 1 in Winnipeg next week too.

I saw someone describe AEW as being a company that often reaches the right destination on the most awkward journey possible.

Thrilled for Hobbs to get a title run, and I actually like QT as a stooge manager. But the bump on Wardlow looked stupidly safe, and a two day title run does nothing for him either.

Danielsons promo was brilliant, and explained perfectly why he tapped.

Elite vs HoB vs JAS next week should be an absolute banger.

Who could we get for Jade?

And the All Atlantic title changed.

For this Canadian challenge thing, maybe a one-off appearance from someone like Taya Valkyrie? Married to Johnny Elite/Morrison/Mundo(etc etc etc), who they've gotten a couple guest appearances from, so there's already a natural connect there. Or from the roster, maybe Bunny?

In the longer term, Statlander would seem the ideal one to dethrone Jade when she returns - but it looks like that could still be quite a few months away. If not her, then i'd like to see Serena Deeb beat Jade.

Taya finished up filming with Impact this week.

Is Bunny still injured?

It's mad to wait for Statlander imo, Jade is getting colder and colder and by the time Stat is back beating Jade will just be a paper achievement

Yeah, I get the feeling Stat was the plan, as she was initially projected to be back around now - but it seems like her recovery is going slower than anticipated and she's actually still a few months away. As I said above, Deeb would be a great option I think - she's got that unflappable vibe that works well against Jade's confidence. And her style is a good fit too, matching her technical quality and submissions against Jade's raw power. Could be some nice storytelling to see Deeb just cutting her down, and breaking her up with submissions, before finally making her tap. Failing that, Shida would be my next choice. She seems to have gone missing from the main title picture, so could be better used against Jade. And she's got legit quality too, worthy of ending Jade's run.

Whatever they decide, it would be nice if they properly build up to it for a couple of weeks instead of just throwing it out there, as seems to happen with most of Jade's matches.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the thing there's still plenty of other options, if, they build it up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think it definitely was the plan to have Statlander win, at this point though TK is being stubborn in not changing the plan imo. There's very few women have been built up to be a credible challenger to Jade. Even Deeb hasn't been on AEW in nearly half a year. They have plenty of female talent they could have used but they don't put them near Jade because they'll have to lose to her. Willow Nightingale would have been great, hell even Athena would have worked. Expecting Taya to be the opponent.

I don't even think Jade needs a belt anyway, she is a special attraction without one and the streak says more than the title does. The TBS belt should be on another woman to elevate them and give the middle of the women's roster something to do but it's clogged up with Jade, the streak and waiting around for Statlander.

Maybe they'll see sense and dethrone Jade soon but there's been little build to credible opponents and they risk making Jade's eventual loss meaningless at this stage.

Tony could be looking at the number and thinking maybe he could get her to 100-0. His own personal Goldberg. As has been said, people will have lost interest well before then though.

And goes to show how badly the women are booked when 2 of the suggestions here consist of Kris who is injured and Serena, who's considered 1 of the best, that AEW hasn't found a way to use in over 6 months.

TBS obviously happy enough with AEW to give them another TV show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hopefully they can find something for Miro and the countless others that don’t get booked anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They're doing a very bad job of making Rampage interesting in recent months. I'm not sure they'll do much better with a fourth hour. Albeit that's arguably a better slot than Rampage is in currently. I really liked Revolution but the weekly product is a bit plodding at the moment.

So, as a Jeff Jarrett mark, I’m expecting this thread to be fun tomorrow 😂

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Don't forget daylight savings happened in the US, so everything's an hour earlier - Dynamite will start at midnight rather than 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Will have moved over to Toronto at this stage so def gonna try tickets for this

Advertisement