Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We are surely the laughing stock of Europe (and Ukraine)

People really need to get out of this mindset, as it's the very mindset that the pro immigration people feed of too, but in the other direction. While the people milking the situation are likely laughing at us, the rest of Europe literally doesn't think of us. We're an insignificant little nation that doesn't even cross the thoughts of most Europeans, yet for some reason many think that we're important, but we really aren't. The perception of importance is why so many people want us to appear as great progressive nation, all in the hope of getting pats on the back from other EU countries. It's such a massive societal sacrifice for what we get in return.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Among the European elite, we're not important, but we have been useful. We were useful in exacting revenge on the UK for Brexit, in capitulating over our corporate tax regime, and also in setting an example in having to bail out bondholders ourselves (to "save the European banking system"). In all cases we were useful idiots, but our brain dead politicians misconstrued their usefulness as importance. By inviting in the world, they have now taken their delusions to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

France takes in hundreds of thousands of (non Ukrainian) refugees and asylum seekers every year - 20% of all asylum claims in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

"you just being a slippery swine"

"Your ilk."

😭😭😭🤣👆🔥

What have the healy raes said on the matter and why does nobody care about that?

There is 100% more healy raes in the Dáil than Gino Kennys.

I'm not far anything you are gone off on a mad rant there with that post. mad mad rant.

Why do I have to have an opinion on something gino said?

Do i have to have an opinion on everything he says or just this one thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I asked you a simple question.

Instead of answering it you spoke about why you shouldn't have to.

Dodging the question.

I asked originally because you expressed disdain for the current government parties, as you have tended to lean left over the years I wanted your opinion of fellow leftie Gino Kenny's assertions about those parties.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Ireland really seems a terrible terrible place for you to live. You have so much anger and disdain for the nation.

Are you defending the government on the issue of immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's no one bit of anger in my post. Pointing out that Ireland is largely an irrelevant nation is not hatred towards my nation, it's a fact.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Being milked by people laughing at us an insignificant nothing. Is what you posted about. If that is how you feel and you are not angry I'm very confused.

No, its obvious that I'm not doing that.

Are you capable of addressing the question I asked you?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

So your not supporting the government on the immigration issue but you are taking issue with me not supporting them.

Right got it.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Its too late now for a zero refugee policy as the horse has already bolted. Its to late.

We have thousands of them already here now, doing nothing all day, not working, it will take years to hear their cases.

Just back from city centre , the north inner city is destroyed, Ilac Centre is like a shopping mall in downtown Lahore.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I think the main issue with asylum seekers is that when they get an Irish passport they can then bring their family over...

You give an asylum seeker a passport and then in the following years he brings his wife/ kids/ parents/ siblings over.

All thanks to the EU and their human rights...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

"Following a meeting of the Belgian cabinet, De Croo promised to increase the forced deportation of failed asylum seekers to their countries of origin, as well as to apply the EU’s Dublin regulation more strictly. This means more transfers of people back to the EU countries where they first arrived.

“We are going to focus more on outflow and more deportations,” De Croo said."

I'm asking if you agree with Gino Kenny that the government parties are organising far right groups to protest against immigration that they are responsible for arranging.

Essentially, the narrative from Gino Kenny is that the government are both taking immigrants in to Ireland and also organising far right activists to protest against that.

Do you agree with Gino Kenny on this issue?

The reason being that whilst the current government are reprehensible some of the current opposition seem likely to be mentally unhinged.

Were a coalition involving Sinn Fein and People Before Profit amongst others to be our next government, we may well have someone who believes insane things like Gino Kenny responsible for a ministerial portfolio.

As bad as the current shower are do you believe having wack-a-doodle Gino Kenny responsible for a ministerial portfolio would be a positive thing for this country?

Glazers Out!

So the choice of Government is either Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael or a Gino Kenny government is it?

So you are happy with another round of fianna Gael and fianna fáil just so long as it's not Gino Kenny?

I never said any of that.

You should run for office yourself, you've got the ducking and diving down to a fine art.

Still no answer to the question notably.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think Gino is going to have a bit more to worry about when he is knocking on the doors next time around looking for votes rather than the latest conspiracy theories he is bladdering on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I know the sentiment and the truth is all of Europe is changing beyond recognition. However if north inner city is already lost then people need to prioritise protecting other parts of the city.

Ireland is not quite Sweden yet although heading in this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Personally I just look right thru em. 2nd class citizenry? How about not even existing as I envisage Rodders; Leopald or maybe Mc Entree instead with a thousand yard stare

• Advertisement

There are no classes of Citzenship in Ireland.

So would you mind explaining what exactly is a second class citizen to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If the gaijin came as guests they would have continued bn prioritised accordingly as long as they did the honourable thing left in good time.

I think anyone can acknowledge there’s nothing more irritating than a guest that puts their feet up and overstays their welcome... resentment creeps and the more the murkier; that’s just how it is. Some of us take pride in our household, in our duties and we like to retain that sense of good homestead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nullzero and TomTomTim threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

1500 new Irish citizens at the ceremony yesterday, one of whom referenced Irish people going to other countries because of circumstances beyond their control like she came to Ireland from Nigeria. So the only place to move to is a small island on the west of Europe, nowhere else in the huge continent of Africa?

it’s in today’s Indo btw

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I googled the woman who said that. She seems to come from a comfortable middle-class family in Nigeria, and her reasons for moving here in 2014 are suitably vague - marriage not working out, two kids, wanting "a better life". So obviously she travels 7,000 kilometres and lodges a claim for asylum in Ireland, sits it out, gets leave to remain. She doesn't say that explicitly but there's no way it was a skilled work visa as she refers to the Church helping her in the beginning when she wasn't working. She describes her employment status in 2021 as:

"I’ve been involved in some community development projects and would like to continue to facilitate workshops on adjusting to an all embracing diverse environment on acceptability and understanding of the uniqueness of other cultures and ethnicity."

So in other words, she's on the NGO/diversity gravy train. Seriously, I'm sure she's very nice, but just think of the huge amount she and her kids have cost the Irish taxpayer in welfare, healthcare, housing, legal fees, education, the nonsense made-up jobs (can't link to her LinkedIn here but her job history scanty to say the least and looks like a lot of volunteering and CE schemes).

There are tens of thousands like her, and the reason they're here is that our IPA system is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Well done, so anyone from Nigeria can claim asylum on the basis of an unhappy marriage, we’ve become the ultimate soft touch

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Yes, she arrived a full decade after the citizenship referendum was supposed to put an end to this nonsense. Three years after Pamela Izevbekhai was finally deported after costing the Irish taxpayer over a million euros in legal fees. She should have been kicked out immediately. The only conclusion is that there are Irish people making a lot of money out of this - the legal profession, the providers of accommodation, the ever-growing NGO monster - and the will to stop it was not there. And as the NGOs have taken control of the narrative in the media, there's very little dissent.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

The country should really pause when it comes to taking in Nigerians. Nigeria is a country with an absolutely massive population and growing. It's predicted to overtake both the USA and China in this regard.

Only the most deserving of asylum cases should be granted. Certainly not just anyone wanting a better life. Otherwise the effect will be absolutely overwhelming.

Nigeria's current population is a staggering 218 million. There is so many, many more where she came from.

Who are you referring to when you use the Japanese word meaning foreigner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Was watching euro news and a guy said NGO..... None government organisation usually gets most of their funds from government.

He was cut of swiftly.

Advertisement