Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BBC Newsroom presenters and staff need to start coming out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

100% spot on.

Once you start comparing people to nazi's with basically zero basis for it you've lost the argument.It's a lazy fall back for someone who can't properly articulate their points in an intelligent manner.

What do the likes of Gary Lineker want Britain to do? Seems like the only thing that would make him happy is for Britain to take in unlimited numbers of people and completely overstretch the whole country until it's as bad a place to live as the places people are leaving.

The entire world cannot live in Europe whether Gary Lineker likes it or not and deciding to stop people illegally entering your country is not the most horrific thing in the world to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because it’s easier to call people Nazis and racists than debate them.

Anyway, if his comments were just ignored without punishing him they would have been quickly forgotten. That would have been a more sensible approach.

As is being heavily implied, his desperate never ending woke commentary may be just a deflection from his dodgy history.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Liniken basically Godwined the whole thing from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

The fact you consider the Government to be the owners of the BBC and that anyone who works for the BBC should consider the Government their bosses should tell you everything about how unhealthy that situation is.

A Government should not be in charge of a public media outlet. Unless, ironically enough, they want to mirror 1930s Germany.

Your correct, he may have been comparing the government to some other prominent organisation in 1930s Germany.

He compared the language being used. And that is factually correct, if you want to do your due diligence and research.

That’s pedantic. He purposely compared them to Nazis. That was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think he compared them with 1930's Germany. What should be pointed out is that he really should be comparing the current day tories with UK governments of the past who have a horrendous record with people of many nationalities and especially with different skin colour to theirs. Even during the actual nazi timeline, the UK government assisted with the starvation of millions in Bengal. And of course we could go back to look at their record with slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's still a comparison between the current UK government and the Nazis. The sentiment behind what he was implying is very clear. Everyone who draws comparisons between some modern situation/group and the Nazis, whether it is that they persecute a certain religion or eat the same breakfast cereal, they know exactly what it means to make that connection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a historian I've tried to parse your post for actual content or a grounded point and I'm afraid I am drawing a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 you_talking_to_me

We have just the man

Problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And 1 own goal when he mentioned something political. 😁

Although he'll probably end up the hero when all is said and done.

There were more than the Nazis using that language in the 30's.

Britian itself refused to take anymore Jews in in 1938.

Yes, but I don’t think he put that much thought into his words. He just threw out some commentary about the government behaving like Nazis and sat back waiting for the applause. I think suggesting he did some deep historical research to develop his comments is giving him too much credit. He is known for making comments without thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I am remember reading his biography in Roy of The Rovers possibly around 40 years ago. He is the quintessential Brit. He played county schoolboy cricket with Leicestershire and I think for England, batsman. He was never ever booked as a player. I quite franky have always warmed to him as a person, great soccer player, all round nice guy.... you wouldn't leave your wife with him for more than two minutes, let's be honest about it?

Someone posted earlier, all that happens here is that a spends the next 6 months in Val De Lobo and then gets a nice number will any of the competition. Once Alex Scott has your back you are golden, oh yes please, she can get up on my back any time?

i can hear most terraces today giving it " there's only 1 Gary Lin e kaa " all day long today. only the BBC will be drowning that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The cynic in me thinks that Lineker has something else planned, so he said what he said as a tactical manoeuvre, so he can exit and simultaneously claim the moral high ground.

To be honest I find it easier and quicker to watch the football highlights on youtube. A game has 3 min/5 min highlits. Maybe MOTD type programmes won't exist in the future?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its extremely vague to say that the word "invasion" is "not dissimilar" to Nazi rhetoric. Its not totally dissimilar but its not particularly reminiscent either, when used on its own, and the Nazis were not trying to prevent groups coming in to Germany obviously.

Also Suella Braverman never used the word "swarms".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fairly cynical alright! 😁

I'd say he loves MOTD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes was thinking that myself. And he could set up his own football show and bring his buddies with him. That crossed my mind as soon as they all started pulling out in support of him. There will be no shortage of opportunities for Lineker anyway i'd imagine.

And i also have found myself being satisfied watching the short Sky highlights of Prem league matches on Youtube. Usually in the 3 minute timeframe.

Here is what he said:

"There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries.

"This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s."

Is there a 'huge influx' = no there isn't, Britain is far from the highest destination for imigrants.

Is it an immeasurably cruel policy? That's for you to decide yourself.

Did he mention the 'Nazi's' = No, he didn't.

Is the language used by Braverman etc 'not disimilar' to that used in 30's Germany? Yes it was. Not 'dissimilar' language was used in the early stages to demonise Jews and others and justify taking rights away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Poor Gary Lineker the victim, getting his cushy £1.35m a year off the brit licence fee payer....hes a bigger sickener than Ryan Tubridy....

The way the bandwagon has taken off with all the BBC presenters and pundits boycotting their job in support of the Martyr Lineker is nauseating.......Make sure to put it all on social media that you stand in solidarity with St. Gary Lineker.........

Now is the BBCs chance to offload all these overpaid bloodsuckers....

MOTD will actually be watchable now....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No because apparently their contracts do specify that they must be politically impartial. Sports presenters such as Lineker don't have that in their contracts.

They can support free speech even if they don't have access to it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

You are tying yourself up in knots trying to get him off the hook on a technicality. It’s clear as day he is intentionally comparing the government to Nazis. Whether his commentary is accurate or not is a different issue, he is intentionally putting the government and the Nazis in the same box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

You're just wrong though.

Just saying that any vaguely nativist-sounding word like "invasion" is reminiscent of Nazi rhetoric against Jews doesn't meet standards of basic honesty. Nobody has quoted anything historical in favour of Lineker's point.

You haven't demonstrated your claim. You're just re-asserting Lineker's assertion.

And to frame it as "not dissimilar".. Well that's an obvious fudge. Lots of things are not totally dissimilar to lots of other things.

Ask yourself, is the language being used to demonise in order to justify taking rights away from them. Yes, it is.

Take on board his actual point and stop projecting in order not to confront it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

‘Replace him an ethnic person’ why not try engaging your brain before you post and proof read your post before you hit send. Lol

What in your view is an ethnic person btw, would Roy Keane be considered an ethnic person

By all accounts in addition to being a world class hypocrite, he has some skeletons in his closet, No doubt your reaction to my post is that you can’t accept that your Lefty hero is being reigned in.

Advertisement