Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

What used bug me about eindhoven was the two cans of fizz taped together in the shop. Ridiclious.

Its been a long time now since i was there. We used fly out when working for a crowd in Dublin. its all Amsterdam now.

I remember also being moved from one area to another like cows when boarding and one day the heat was so bad that people felt unwell when standing in a que for 20 minutes outside the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Macroom By-Pass is going to have an impact on Kerry Airport as Cork will become much more accessible, but this might work in reverse also to the airports benefit but hardly with fuel prices. One thing to remember about Kerry is that the airport is not able to host so many passengers and any expansion or new routes added would need to be well spaced out during the day as the "gate area" after security can only barely seat a full 737 worth of passengers <200 people and I was delayed there recently on a KIR-DUB flight and there was a good 20+ people standing and I actually gave up my seat to an elderly lady flying to Luton. 2-3 late arrivals and it would be carnage there, your average Lidl/Aldi is double the airport terminal building in size by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

True about the terminal size, but it can easily handle quite a few more flights if they were a little bit spaced out during the day.

It never actually happened because of COVID but summer 2020 was meant to have 4 Boeing 738s handled in less two hours (twice a week if I remember correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 68,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Unless they absolutely require the votes of Kerry TDs. And both would require someone with slots to want to do it. LHR had slots available for UK domestic routes which is why there are some oddities like Loganair to Teesside and Isle of Man but anyone wanting to do KIR would have to have or buy slot pair(s). AMS don't have any slots available and officially no method to buy them; so it would have to be made more commercially viable than another flight.

If there was a specific effort to decentralise tourist traffic in to the country, looking to get a UK or Euro flight in to Carrickfinn would be higher priority than assisting an airport that already has flights to London and the Continent to get what are seen as better ones.

In the past, when there were more smaller airlines with suitable aircraft, there were all sorts of nuts inbound tourist routes - Zurich to Enniskillen, Rotterdam to Carrickfinn etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Anybody notice that the Kerry- Dublin service has more than doubled in price?

Looks to be €47.99 each way - on average its been €19.99 each way up until the last time I looked.

I think any chance of filling a 737 on this route at that price has completely evaporated, certainly I'll be back to driving up and down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That's strange, wonder what the motivation behind that was. The price of a return trip going from €40 to €96 isn't very enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

As a regular user have just found out this now.

Wonder is it a precursor to them pulling the service?

Though I had family members using the route last month and the Kerry bound flight on Sunday afternoon was full to capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

The Kerry-Berlin route should be reinstated. It’s disgraceful that outside of Dublin, no other airport in the country serves the German capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm curious to know how you expect this to happen? If there's a profit to be made airlines would operate the route. Do you want taxpayer subsidies?

Berlin is a very expensive airport now too. Much more so than when the Kerry to the Shonefeld terminal operated

• Advertisement

Kerry - Dublin has zero chance at profitability with €20 fares. More than €4 of that goes for VAT (charged on domestic flights), and I’d guess the airport charges are more than the remaining €16. Not much ancillary revenue either (bags, food, priority boarding).

I’m not convinced a one third full Boeing 737 on €40/50 fares has a much greater chance to be profitable.

As for Berlin, Ryanair manages to make Cologne - Knock work in summer. Cologne isn’t a cheap airport either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ryanair might be operating it as a loss leader to keep Stobart in their box too. All sorts go on there!

Absolutely. But how long can they continue to do so?

• I could imagine a Kerry to London City route could be useful, a link between two low hassle airports, near heart of London direct to heart of south-west Ireland, apart from a cohort of commuters, a great tourism connection. A very attractive prospect for potential passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That would be nice, but they tried LCY - Cork several years ago and it just didn't work. Not enough interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

With two routes to London airports in place already it seems very unlikely that there would be enough demand for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

I heard the Hahn arrival suffered a very hard landing today.

Initially plans were to wait for an engineer inspection but the crew got the go ahead to depart (remote analysis of the landing data?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I flew the old Stobart flight connecting to EI and indeed BA many times and generally saw 8 pax on board- for most people it was just too dear unless connecting on a thru ticket which won't be an option for Ryanair. If its pulled is the subvention gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PSO could be reinstated due to the commercial operator failing; but it would not be instantaneous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This seems very strange. Could be a typical Ryanair tactic.

Oh look, nobody is flying the route. Can we have that PSO now please. Sure nobody else will want it and Emerald are now fully committed for their summer schedule and expanding, so wouldn’t have time or resources for a PSO to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Is a PSO from Kerry to Dublin still appropriate with the push towards more sustainable modes of transport etc.? I mean there's a railway station two minutes drive from the airport with services to Dublin, it's not exactly a remote isolated location like Carrickfinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

I made a thread on here a few years ago about replacing the PSO with an improved rail service but it didn’t go down well..

However in the meantime both France and Austria banned domestic flights where a rail option of less than 2.5 and 3 hours was available, and in Frances case it was upheld by the EU.. So with that in mind, our green minister might be reluctant to issue a new PSO for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

The current train journey to Tralee is approx 4hrs.

I can’t see any improvements to the rail services reducing the journey to 3hrs or less.

As a country we just don’t do big public infrastructure. How long as the Metro been in the pipeline?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

And those flights in France still operate, but now as an Air France feeder to CDG. Look at Nantes Paris for example. Flights still operate, so it’s all a bit of a case oh look we’re saying the right thing but doing another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭acequion

The rail service Tralee to Dublin is dire. When I was going to college in Dublin some 35 odd years ago you were changing in Mallow half the time. Off out in the cold on a winters night, over a bridge, changing platforms and frozen by the time you got on the next train. 40 years on, same story! I used the Stobbart PSO a lot because the times were excellent. Now with the train service so dire or else get the bus, the only option for me when I need to be in Dublin for an early morning meeting is to drive. And drive back that evening. Approx 7 hours driving as opposed to less than two flying. Therefore I'd love the see the PSO reinstated and the Green minister can take a running jump! As for RA doubling their price, not surprised, but in any case the times are useless for business travel day trips.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As with a bit of luck, it never will. It's certainly the last thing I want my taxes being wasted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

Am sure the people in Kerry are happy paying their taxes towards Dublin Bus ... but that’s life I suppose. I don’t like paying my taxes... full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, I for one have no complaint about that. Considering the taxpayers of Dublin subsidise the rest of us!

Advertisement