Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Probably not a huge surprise but the 82 points scored is the highest by a team in the history of either the Under 20 Championship or the senior championship and the winning margin of 75 is also the largest winning margin ever in the Championship, including both Under 20 and senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I dunno, seeing the juniors tonight & our form at senior level, it feels slightly preposterous to say but, (Channeling David Mitchell) are we the All Blacks/Greens? Irish rugby has surely never been in such rude health.

Of course we'll lose to Scotland after I've posted this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What a beating. Phenomenal performance. Quinn was amazing as was Barrett. I think Barrett is a better option the McCarthy. Gus McCarthy had a good outing. Can't say enough about Cooney. He's growing into this.

Liam Molony has the worst hair in the squad. Glad to see him get his opportunity. He's a good prospect. Fantastic team effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

https://www.flashscore.com/match/G4vZEGJ0/#/match-summary/match-summary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Kinda need to win a few pieces of actual silverware first. No European cup since 2018, no championship since then either. Triple crowns are a real consolation prize at this point and a relic of the past. Get past a quarter final maybe.

Hold judgement till they deliver but we look to be in the strongest place I've seen Irish rugby. Seems to be depth, more young talent coming, strong provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Actually I just remembered that the u20 World Cup is back this year, so hopefully lads like Moloney and Osbourne get more chances.

Was about to ask that, great news, one of my favourite tournaments. We're clearly the equal (at minimum? of any NH side so be really interesting to see how we do against the SH.

Watched a bit of the England v France game after Ireland, seemed very chaotic. I don't think we've much to worry about if the team keeps up it's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I turned off at half time, terrible game really. They played some great stuff but I find that sort of game a hard watch.

they look a great side though I presume everyone in it is eligible for the u20 WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its same year with same sligibility dates so yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

There quite often ends up being more injuries by the time the u20 WC comes round. I remember the year we won the grand slam with Baird, Penny, Hodnett and Casey - we were smacked by Australia, beaten by NZ and lost to England.

So there's usually some squad turnover but getting more players involved isn't a bad thing and some u19's might get some early exposure. Fingers crossed for no injuries though.

This side is really developing. Very cohesive and fluid. A credit to the coaching.

On another note, I would expect we'd have won this one comfortably with others from the squad involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

U19s playing Japan at the weekend, anyone know of who’s been selected?

With players missing due to cup finals I’d say team would look something like

1. Sean Hopkins Connacht

2. Stephen Smyth Leinster

3. Andrew Sparrow Leinster

4. Mark lee Ulster

5. Joe Hopes Ulster

6. James Mckillop Ulster

7. Jacob Sheahan Munster

8. Sean Edogbo Munster

9. Tadhg Brophy Leinster

10. Tom Larke Leinster

11. Ethan Graham Ulster

12. Whihelm De Klerk Leinster

13. Sam Berman Leinster

14. Oisin Pepper Munster

15. Ben McFarlane Ulster

Japan playing a game against a Trinity select XV Saturday and first game against Ireland is tomorrow week

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

From Japan information.(1)V Trinity Colledge 18th Mar. 13:00 KO. (2) V Ireland U19 22th Mar 14:30 (expected),, venue undecided, (3) V Ireland U19 26th Mar (expected), venue undecided. Japan members has benn selected mainly prospective highscool gradeates (U18) this spring(in Japan (the school begins in April) including some international student from Tonga etc. Already they has been trained about 1month gathered and assembled,so fitting enouph to coming games. In japan, there are almostly no club rugy but all school and ordinaly train 6 day -a week (not only rugby but every sports). Members of this tour are boys playing rugby from primary scool era (then they are in mini=rugby club). So they have high-level skill and speed. And they expect to fight good games against young players of world NO1 country.

Does anyone know how old Brian Gleeson is?

I've seen it reported a few times that he's still U19, but according to some data sources Sam Prendergast is a week younger than him.

He is under 19.. played munster and ireland under 18 in 2022.

Yeah, I saw that. I feel like the age given for him on this is possibly incorrect: https://all.rugby/club/ireland-u20/squad

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

Here is the Scotland team Ireland played last Friday;

1. Craig Davidson - 6'1 - 108kg
    2. Corey Tait - 5'11 - 102kg
    3. Moby Ogunlaja - 6'1 - 118kg
    4. Jake Parkinson - 6'7 - 118kg
    5. Harris McLeod - 6'7 - 109kg
    6. Liam McConnell - 6'4 - 106kg
    7. Rudi Brown - 6'3 - 109kg
    8. Jonny Morris - 6'4 - 106kg
    9. Finlay Burgess - 5'8 - 75kg
    10. Luke Townsend - NA
    11. Geordie Gwynn - 6'2 - 94kg
    12. Kerr Yule - 6'2 - 100kg
    13. Duncan Munn - 6'3 - 92kg
    14. Logan Jarvie - 5'10 - 90kg
    15. Dan King - 6'2 - 93kg
    16. Elliot Young (Hooker) - 5'11 - 103kg
    17. Max Surry (Prop) - 6'2 - 112kg
    18. Robbie Deans (Prop) - 5'11 - 110kg
    19. Ruaraidh Hart (Lock) - 6'4 - 107kg
    20. Sam Derrick (Back Row) - 6'2 - 103kg
    21. Charlie Clare (Scrum Half) - 5'8 - 78kg
    22. Ben Salmon (Full Back) - 5'11 - 80kg
    23. Andy McLean (Fly Half) - NA

20s side gone back to arguably their strongest selection for the Grand Slam decider with Paddy McCarthy, Diarmuid Mangan and James Nicholson restored to the side as the expense of Fiachna Barrett, Evan O’Connell and Andrew Osborne.

Barrett and Osborne retained on the bench, but O’Connell has been replaced by Ulster’s Joe Hopes. Not sure if he’s picked up an injury or what’s going on.

Full team:

15-9,1-8: Henry McErlean, James Nicholson, Hugh Cooney, John Devine, Hugh Gavin, Sam Prendergast, Fintan Gunne, George Hadden, Gus McCarthy, Paddy McCarthy, Diarmuid Mangan, Conor O’Tighearnaigh, Lorcan McNabney, Ruadhan Quinn, Brian Gleeson.

Reps: Danny Sheehan, George Morris, Fiachna Barrett, Joe Hopes, Liam Molony, Oscar Cawley, Harry West, Andrew Osborne.

• Advertisement

O'Connell had a concussion? Hope the boys go well. Surprised that Barrett was dropped to the bench, he played great last week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, O'Connell got a HIA and I think u20s are not allowed play again for a couple of weeks regardless of the secondary tests.

Its a 7 or 12 days rest at a minimum i think. i dont think under 20s are made wait 21 days like any of us playing club level or 23 days for youths/schools rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It should be at least 21 days, if not double that.

I mean for professionals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

For player 18 or under there’s a mandatory 20 day stand down period for concussion. Same happened for Dave McCann at the JWC in 2019 when he was still an u19.

Is there no way to watch the other 20s games that are on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

An Irish try after 3 minutes.

The Irish have started the way they want to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Lovely pass from Prendergast. Really looks like a future 10 at senior level.

Pack looking strong too.

Advertisement